Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

LoL Players Athletes

Eurogamer notes a that in an interview with GameSpot, Riot Games' eSports manager Nick Allen says that the U.S. government now recognizes League of Legends as a sport, as players are now allowed to enter the United States on athletic visas in order to compete in LoL tourneys. "The United States government recognizes League of Legends pro players as professional athletes and award[s] visas to essentially work in the United States under that title," said Allen. "This is groundbreaking for eSports."

View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 14, 2013, 11:09 Optional Nickname!

Ozmodan wrote on Jul 14, 2013, 08:34:
Rather ridiculous if you ask me, it is NOT a sport in any form.

Perhaps some people are having trouble with their definitions.

Sport is competitive leisure activity. Spectator sports have an audience.

Hobbies, are generally non-competitive and with no audience.

Also, you can't gamble on the outcome of a hobby.

p.s. Free trade stops wars.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 14, 2013, 08:34 Ozmodan

Rather ridiculous if you ask me, it is NOT a sport in any form.  

20. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 15:07 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 12:01:
Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 09:00:
The word athlete really isn't appropriate. I read the headline as "LOL, players athletes" at first, did a double-take. An athlete is someone in peak physical condition and quickly clicking doesn't count IMHO. I wouldn't call a chess professional an athlete either.

I gather NFL players are reasonably well remunerated but only the top athletes are well paid; plenty are not. It wouldn't surprise me if LoL professionals average better.

You're confusing skill and natural ability with peak physical condition - which you have to be in regardless if you're best player in the league or not.

"While NFL players consume between 5,000-10,000 calories each day during training camp, they're also burning 2,000-3,000 calories on the field in double-session practices."

Did you read what you quoted?

19. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 12:15 Agent.X7

Now all the fat kids who play video games all day can check "Athletic" under body type on their online dating profile.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

18. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 12:01 Cutter

Quboid wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 09:00:
The word athlete really isn't appropriate. I read the headline as "LOL, players athletes" at first, did a double-take. An athlete is someone in peak physical condition and quickly clicking doesn't count IMHO. I wouldn't call a chess professional an athlete either.

I gather NFL players are reasonably well remunerated but only the top athletes are well paid; plenty are not. It wouldn't surprise me if LoL professionals average better.

You're confusing skill and natural ability with peak physical condition - which you have to be in regardless if you're best player in the league or not.

"While NFL players consume between 5,000-10,000 calories each day during training camp, they're also burning 2,000-3,000 calories on the field in double-session practices."

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

17. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 11:51 Warskull

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 01:50:
Esoteric wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 00:27:
Even if you don't like LoL or e-sports, how would it negatively affect you in any manner whatsoever?

Where do I say it negatively affects me in any manner? I just say that it's retarded that people who sit on their asses and play videogames are considered to be 'athletes.'

And to focus on the word "athlete" is a bit silly, as chess is considered a sport, and the players are "athletes" as well. Same goes for billiards and several other activities I'm sure people would find questionable.

Chess is considered a GAME, not a sport, and its players are most assuredly not considered athletes. Neither are billiards players. Neither, for that matter, are golfers.

Creston

Chess is referenced in this law and the word athlete is used. That's just the way the law is written. It is a visa for "athletes and entertainers." It doesn't mean the government thinks LoL is an athletic endeavor. It just means they think people should be able to come to the US to participate in tournaments and changing the wording of the law to be "athlete or competitor" would be too much of a pain.

16. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 09:49 Eirikrautha

ldonyo wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 09:18:
dj LiTh wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 09:10:
Not a big deal, call me up when ESPN starts covering LoL tourney's
They'll show it on ESPN 8 right after Dodgeball.
I can't wait to hear Pepper Brook's and Cotton McKnight's insightful commentary on those games!

Cotton: "Pepper, it appears that {in}Ex1le666 has just accused a teammate of feeding and being ghey!"

Pepper: "Well, he does look a little hungry... And slightly effeminate..."

15. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 09:18 ldonyo

dj LiTh wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 09:10:
They'll show it on ESPN 8 right after Dodgeball.

14. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 09:11 Fati

replace "athlete" with "competitor". What's important is that barriers are being removed and pro gaming is becoming more mainstream. This is good for the gaming community as a whole.  

13. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 09:10 dj LiTh

12. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 09:00 Quboid

- Quboid

11. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 07:14 NKD

Cutter wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 04:58:
It should probably be classified as entertainment, much like actors, because it is pretty insulting to any real professional athlete out there. Can you imagine some LOL kid gets a seat beside an NFL player on a plane.

Kid: Hey, you're XYZ. Cool, I'm a pro athlete too.
XYZ (looking at him skeptically): Uh yeah, what sport?
Kid: Oh I play video games. It's really hardcore!
XYZ: Uh Stewardess, is there another seat available?

I don't think professional athletes care too much about who can get a P1 visa. They are more concerned with how many cars they can buy, whch is infinitely more than some LOL scrub.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

10. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 06:31 KilrathiAce

LOL

All I could think of when I read this: "The United States government recognizes League of Legends pro players as professional athletes and award[s] visas to essentially work in the United States under that title"

was.... LOL are you kidding me.

"On 2646.215 I myself attacked & destroyed TCS Tiger's Claw in my Jalthi heavy fighter"
Bakhtosh Redclaw Nar Kiranka

9. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 04:58 Cutter

It should probably be classified as entertainment, much like actors, because it is pretty insulting to any real professional athlete out there. Can you imagine some LOL kid gets a seat beside an NFL player on a plane.

Kid: Hey, you're XYZ. Cool, I'm a pro athlete too.
XYZ (looking at him skeptically): Uh yeah, what sport?
Kid: Oh I play video games. It's really hardcore!
XYZ: Uh Stewardess, is there another seat available?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

8. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 04:03 saluk

Creston wrote on Jul 13, 2013, 01:50:
Even if you don't like LoL or e-sports, how would it negatively affect you in any manner whatsoever?

Where do I say it negatively affects me in any manner? I just say that it's retarded that people who sit on their asses and play videogames are considered to be 'athletes.'

And to focus on the word "athlete" is a bit silly, as chess is considered a sport, and the players are "athletes" as well. Same goes for billiards and several other activities I'm sure people would find questionable.

Chess is considered a GAME, not a sport, and its players are most assuredly not considered athletes. Neither are billiards players. Neither, for that matter, are golfers.

Creston

Agree! Pro-gaming is legitimate, but it's not the same category as sport. That's just silly.

This visa thing is cool though, in lieu of an actual professional gaming visa. That would be much more legitimate than just shoving them in with athletes though.

7. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 01:50 Creston

Creston

6. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 01:32 Cutter

What do visas have to do with health insurance?

Anyway, whether you're a fan of LoL or not, this is good for gaming in general. The more e-sports are recognized and considered legitimate, the more money developers make, the more they can spend making good games.

Yeah, and we don't consider any of those people athletes either. If it involves sitting down, or the bare minimum of physical effort than it's not a sport and you're not an athlete. I could call myself Pope and I would have just as much authority as he does but it's doubtful most other people would agree with that.

5. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 13, 2013, 00:27 Esoteric

What do visas have to do with health insurance?

Anyway, whether you're a fan of LoL or not, this is good for gaming in general. The more e-sports are recognized and considered legitimate, the more money developers make, the more they can spend making good games.

4. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 12, 2013, 23:54 NKD

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 22:22:
So LoL is now a sport, and its players are considered "athletes", yet 6 million competitive cheerleaders in the US have no such recognition, and thus if they get injured, their schools refuse to pay for their medical treatments on the grounds that they weren't injured in an "athletic activity."

Seems legit. Good job once again, US government.

Creston

The Riot Games guy is kind of overstating it a bit. As far as I can tell, he's referring specifically to being able to get a P1 visa. Those standards are fairly relaxed and are separate from the issue you're talking about.

I'm almost certain that cheerleaders can get P1 visas as well. You're not going to see schools paying the medical bills for diabeetus and brain damage resulting from League of Legends play.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

3. Re: LoL Players Athletes Jul 12, 2013, 23:48 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 23:04:
Athletes? Cereal? Ahahahahahahahahahaha! Now THAT is hilarious! Ahahahahahaha! Oh man, I just peed my pants laughing.

That simple act makes you more of an athlete than these "pros" who sit on their asses behind a m/kb all day. John fucking Daly is more worthy of the title athlete than they are.

Creston

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo