Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Working on AAA Shooter

A "triple-A" shooter is one of the unnanounced games in development at Epic Games, reveals company founder Tim Sweeney at the Develop Conference, as quoted on Eurogamer (thanks VG247). He says the company is "trying to master development at every scale" as he outlines the scope of the various projects they have in the works:

"Last generation, most of the company was focused on building Gears of War 3, a massive project," he said. "Gears of War 1 was a 60-person project at peak. Gears of War 3 was more than 100-people at peak.

"Now we're building several games at different scales. We're building Fortnite, a PC online game which is a fun, sort of Minecraft meets Left 4 Dead. It's a 35-person team. It's not aiming to beat Call of Duty in terms of graphics. It's more of a Pixar art style and a limited project in scope, just aimed at fun as opposed to massive breakthroughs in scale.

"We're building a bigger, triple-A shooter project that hasn't been announced yet. And we've also internally started developing really tiny projects with two or three guys working together as a team for a few months in small scale game development.

"It's really cool. We're testing our development at all scales and learning it as we go. We're trying to master development at every scale."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 12:46 HorrorScope

To standout.... it's going to need to be "AAAA", too many shooters.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 12:19 Cutter

It's not an MMO, they don't do that. It'll just be a online only multiplayer shooter. And given their track record it'll be console only. And as for Fortnite so they make some shitty online only for the PC that will fail miserably and they do it only to confirm their attitude of 'See, there's no money to be made in the PC market!' Epic hasn't been relevant to PC gaming for over a decade so why think anything will change now?

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

15. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 11:37 Beamer

I wouldn't expect it to be Unreal. That universe is kind of generic, each consecutive title since UT sold less than the last, and, honestly, it's boring.

They can do a much more interesting world than what Unreal had. Plus, have any throwback games been fun? Doom 3 sucked. Quake 4 sucked. Duke Forever sucked. What was fun and interesting in the 90s kind of sucks now (though I think you could still make an awesome Doom game.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 11:17 Creston

Make sure not to put a single player campaign in it fellas, because cuntyb says that that makes no money whatsoever.

Creston

13. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 11:15 El Pit

SirKnight wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 10:32:
Would probably be better to work on the cleaning woman.

You first.

I don't want to sound too negative. I have not forgotten the Unreal and Unreal Tournament games. Back in the day, they knew how to make good shooters. But I doubt that the people who made those games are still working for Epic. So I hope for the best (shooter made for kb/m and the power of a modern pc), but expect the worst (best played with console controller and watered down to run even on PS3 and XBox 360).

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

12. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 10:32 SirKnight

El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 10:14:
For next generation consoles, best played with a console controller. Maybe, if you're humble enought, we may let the cleaning woman work halftime on a pc port. You sure would like that, ey?

Would probably be better to work on the cleaning woman.

11. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 10:31 SirKnight

Without FuktardB there, this actually has a chance of being good.  

10. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 10:14 El Pit

For next generation consoles, best played with a console controller. Maybe, if you're humble enought, we may let the cleaning woman work halftime on a pc port. You sure would like that, ey?  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

9. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:44 MattyC

It could be a MMO, but I am still hoping for a game that can largely be played online.

I guess I am just wanting it to be a new UT. I am sick of 'generic modern shooter where you level up in giant maps'. A new UT would be a breath of fresh air to me. The last one was actually patched into a pretty decent game even with the single player's issues. It is a pity they shoved it out when it clearly wasn't ready.

8. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:37 SpectralMeat

Ahh okay my bad I did miss that news blurb a few days ago

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2013, 09:53.

Steam: SpectralMeat

7. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:36 InBlack

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 09:31:
InBlack wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 09:27:
Theyve mentioned that they are working on some kind of online game. Im just putting two and two together.
That would be Fortnite for the PC, which they talk about in the quote above.
They did not mention any details about the AAA game other then they are working on it. We don't even know if it will come to the PC or it will be console exclusive

"Epic Games is looking for a Systems Designers to join one of two projects. One of the teams is working on an unannounced competitive online action game that includes player progression, heavy itemization, and a dynamic economy; the other is for Fortnite. In either of these roles you’ll be working on the biggest most important systems and will have a hand in designing everything from economics and itemization to balancing combat mechanics. You’ll be responsible for general design, balance, rules, interface, etc. and will play an integral role in defining the outcome of the project."

Thats from the news blurb a few days ago. I know about Fortnight, this is the other game and notice that its 'online'. Unreal Online. Mark. My. Words. And yeah, color me underwhelmed...

It might be Gears of War Online....even more meh about that...

I have a nifty blue line!

6. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:32 wtf_man

Just remake the damn original. Like Half-Life:Source + the Enhanced Mod.

Modern Engine
Modern Graphics
Original Gameplay

Unlike a "re-imagining", like Black Mesa.

5. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:31 SpectralMeat

Theyve mentioned that they are working on some kind of online game. Im just putting two and two together.
That would be Fortnite for the PC, which they talk about in the quote above.
They did not mention any details about the AAA game other then they are working on it. We don't even know if it will come to the PC or it will be console exclusive

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:30 nin

I just assumed that was their building/zombie game? Forget the name...got previewed last year.

edit: SMeat named it!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

3. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:27 InBlack

2. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 09:15 MattyC

InBlack wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 08:50:
Unreal Online. Called it, twice already.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see them working on a MMO.

1. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 08:50 InBlack

Unreal Online. Called it, twice already.  

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo