Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Epic Working on AAA Shooter

A "triple-A" shooter is one of the unnanounced games in development at Epic Games, reveals company founder Tim Sweeney at the Develop Conference, as quoted on Eurogamer (thanks VG247). He says the company is "trying to master development at every scale" as he outlines the scope of the various projects they have in the works:

"Last generation, most of the company was focused on building Gears of War 3, a massive project," he said. "Gears of War 1 was a 60-person project at peak. Gears of War 3 was more than 100-people at peak.

"Now we're building several games at different scales. We're building Fortnite, a PC online game which is a fun, sort of Minecraft meets Left 4 Dead. It's a 35-person team. It's not aiming to beat Call of Duty in terms of graphics. It's more of a Pixar art style and a limited project in scope, just aimed at fun as opposed to massive breakthroughs in scale.

"We're building a bigger, triple-A shooter project that hasn't been announced yet. And we've also internally started developing really tiny projects with two or three guys working together as a team for a few months in small scale game development.

"It's really cool. We're testing our development at all scales and learning it as we go. We're trying to master development at every scale."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 13, 2013, 02:22 Beelzebud

ldonyo wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 16:58:
What else would Epic be working on? All they do are shooters and all their shooters are "AAA", if you define AAA as exceedingly expensive with a very long development cycle followed by numerous non-free add-ons. These were once called expansions back when they were longer and actually added something meaningful to the game they were a part of.

Epic has a lot of aspects about them to complain about, but paid DLC isn't one of them. Let's not forget that every single UT game, including UT3, got a very sizable update for free, that would easily be paid DLC these days. When it comes to Gears, no one gets to put out free DLC on Xbox Live.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 22:03 DangerDog

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 17:28:
DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 16:04:
Ever since Epic decided to settle on making game characters look like they're jacked up on super-mega-steroids I haven't been interested in their games. It's like the art and design follows through with the story and gameplay.

Says the dude with the avatar that's jacked up on super-mega-steroids.

Thank god Doom never had working mirrors Tongue

I don't think body proportions got weird till Quake II

35. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 19:47 Linksil

I had this great idea of going back to the old style FPS games. Ones with health packs, and levels that went all over the place with good design and not a long corridor like cod games have become for sake of "story". Limited ammo and a dependency on skilled play vs just moving forwards. Sadly the more you think about it the more you realize it's getting impossible to find a designer that is willing to dump that much into each level.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

34. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 18:32 Fletch

AAA PC shooter, or AAA console shooter? Big difference.  

33. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 18:20 TheEmissary

The UT games may not have had campaigns but epic did make Unreal 1/2 games with SP however.

I really wish UT3 didn't bomb as hard as it. I was really looking forward to playing that game before it came out and it failed to deliver. UT2k4 was a much better game.

32. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 17:52 4D-Boxing

Beamer wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 11:37:
I wouldn't expect it to be Unreal. That universe is kind of generic, each consecutive title since UT sold less than the last, and, honestly, it's boring.

They can do a much more interesting world than what Unreal had. Plus, have any throwback games been fun? Doom 3 sucked. Quake 4 sucked. Duke Forever sucked. What was fun and interesting in the 90s kind of sucks now (though I think you could still make an awesome Doom game.)

I agree that they could make an awesome doom game but to me doom and UT universe are almost identical. Unless you're referring to single player (unreal which I've never touched.

As for UT, yes it sold less and less but look at what they released. The level of effort just wasn't there IMHO. They seemed to try and capitalize on the name and reputation like Activision did after COD4.

Multiply the size of old UT99 maps by 4+ to accommodate 32 to 64 players. (meaning entirely new maps). Eliminate weapon drops and health drops (there are more interesting ways of offering this that I'll keep to myself for now). Maximize the use of destructible environments (original crysis and beyond level). Ability to personalize your character so no 2 player look the same unless they want to. Bring back all the original game types add the more popular ones from post UT99 releases and add domination. Completely change the weapons (evolution of tech since its been over a decade).

Those few addition to a basic game like UT would make it a hit IMO. It could become a small scale BL2 but PVP. Last and not least, LAN support is mandatory, mod support as well. The flow of user created maps and game modes can't be put aside by short sighted suites who don't understand the clientele and think no mods just new releases each year a la COD. The DayZ mod helped the original base title sell how many more copies? Their profit margins would be just as high if they focused on solid expansions (not 3 map 3 gun DLC) to complement user mods and add new features (support for new graphical tech etc).

Anyways that's my rant... now to enjoy my vacation and order my 40th bday gift (KupaX15-Ultra for fun between gaming sessions and rest the SLI beast)

31. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 17:33 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 16:45:

The new big thing now is "free to play" where they charge you for every little feature separately. I can see Epic following that trend. Unreal Online seems unlikely.

So, you describe the Unreal Online implementation exactly, say Epic would do that, then say Unreal Online is UNlikely? I don't get it.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

30. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 17:28 jdreyer

DangerDog wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 16:04:
Ever since Epic decided to settle on making game characters look like they're jacked up on super-mega-steroids I haven't been interested in their games. It's like the art and design follows through with the story and gameplay.

Says the dude with the avatar that's jacked up on super-mega-steroids.

29. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 16:58 ldonyo

What else would Epic be working on? All they do are shooters and all their shooters are "AAA", if you define AAA as exceedingly expensive with a very long development cycle followed by numerous non-free add-ons. These were once called expansions back when they were longer and actually added something meaningful to the game they were a part of.  

28. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 16:45 Mad Max RW

deqer wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 13:36:
MattyC wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 09:15:
InBlack wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 08:50:
Unreal Online. Called it, twice already.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see them working on a MMO.
Why not? Every dumbass company has been trying to do what Blizzard's done. "Money money money!"

The new big thing now is "free to play" where they charge you for every little feature separately. I can see Epic following that trend. Unreal Online seems unlikely.

27. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 16:04 DangerDog

26. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 16:04 jdreyer

I could go for UT4. I've loved all the games in that franchise, even though it usually took a few patches before they were in tip top shape.  

25. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 15:43 Fantaz

wtf_man wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 09:32:
Just remake the damn original. Like Half-Life:Source + the Enhanced Mod.

Modern Engine
Modern Graphics
Original Gameplay

Unlike a "re-imagining", like Black Mesa.

They should contact Digital Extremes to do this, since they helped make the original.

24. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 14:43 Jensen

just aimed at fun
Wow! What a concept!

23. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 14:13 SlimRam

SirKnight wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 10:32:
El Pit wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 10:14:
For next generation consoles, best played with a console controller. Maybe, if you're humble enought, we may let the cleaning woman work halftime on a pc port. You sure would like that, ey?

Would probably be better to work on the cleaning woman.

I would be more excited about working with the cleaning crew than either working at Epic or playing EITHER new game....

I mean, you get ALL the cleaning supplies you'll ever need - BONUS

Cleaning crews usually work after hours so it makes a good second job - BONUS

There are sometimes cuties that work in those crews - BONUS

The work isn't especially hard in offices and your in the AC or heat when weather is bad - BONUS

I work construction, outside, in Arizona..... Seriously ANY job that has you working in an environmentally controlled area is a fucking dream job

They always say that everyone's good at something...

I just have to find the right kind of place that appreciates nude juggling of a midget, a hand grenade, and a porcupine while playing the kazoo and riding a unicycle backwards without a seat

22. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 13:36 deqer

MattyC wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 09:15:
InBlack wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 08:50:
Unreal Online. Called it, twice already.

I could be wrong, but I really don't see them working on a MMO.
Why not? Every dumbass company has been trying to do what Blizzard's done. "Money money money!"

21. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 13:30 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 13:02:
Speaking of Fortnite, was it just me, or was it completely underwhelming? I guess it all comes down gameplay, b/c the screenshots I saw did absolutely nothing for me.

The graphics looked okay, but it's an online-only clone/rip-off of Minecraft, made by Epic, probably one of the biggest PC-hating developers out there.

Yeah, I'm not sure what in that sentence anyone on the PC is supposed to get excited about.

And no, the UTs never had SP campaigns.

Creston

20. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 13:07 Wildone

shooters are getting REALLY OLD...LIKE SINCE 2000 IM NOT EXCITED ABOUT THIS OR ANY 'SHOOTER'  

19. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 13:02 jdreyer

Speaking of Fortnite, was it just me, or was it completely underwhelming? I guess it all comes down gameplay, b/c the screenshots I saw did absolutely nothing for me.  

18. Re: Epic Working on AAA Shooter Jul 12, 2013, 12:55 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 11:17:
Make sure not to put a single player campaign in it fellas, because cuntyb says that that makes no money whatsoever.

Creston

None of the UTs had a single player campaign, did they? Or if they did, it was a hackneyed "You're in this tournament, and you must fight to the end." What the UT games DID have was awesome bots that you could play against alone or in coop with friends. And tons of game modes.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo