Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch

The Tribes Ascend Forums have a response from Hi-Rez's Todd Harris to an Open Letter To Hi-Rez on reddit about patching Tribes Ascend, since the free-to-play shooter was last updated four months ago today (thanks PC Gamer). Todd explains that they will continue to support the game's servers, but the company's priority for the next six months is SMITE, and that updating their Tribes multiplayer shooter is still not their top priority after that. The implication is there may be no further updates for the game going forward, as their post-SMITE plan is a Global Agenda sequel, and though no one is working on Tribes Ascend 2, a sequel would probably take precedence over a patch as well. Here's word:

There are no major dev updates planned for Tribes: Ascend in the next six months.

For the next six months our primary development focus is SMITE. Beyond that it is GA2. And beyond that a TA2 would be more likely than a major update to TA; but to be clear no devs are currently working toward TA2.

Per the development blog on our forums, the recent TA work has been Kate developing some additional maps. If time allows then these new TA maps (along with some bug-fixes) would be finalized and deployed but no committed date yet.

We continue to support TA servers, online community events, tournaments with prizing, bringing Tribes to offline events like recent RTX and upcoming QuakeCon, and live-streaming.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 13, 2013, 12:44 Wowbagger_TIP

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 17:42:
Only reason I can think of to make a sequel instead of updating, is to not do F2P anymore.

I'm curious about the sales numbers for store purchases in F2P games. Maybe they've noticed that most people make the vast majority of their purchases early, and then it tapers off as they drift away from the game to the new flavor of the month. So by doing a sequel, they get another round of players coming through and making those early purchases again? I can't really think of any other good reason to do a sequel.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 19:43 Linksil

The problem is that in our new world of gaming patching doesn't = fixing bugs anymore. Patching is the only way to get new content into the game, like maps, because of company's not releasing the stranglehold they have the tools and servers. The only other way is a DLC patch. But in FTP games it's hard to charge for core content patches without destroying your fan base.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

13. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 19:35 Prez

Personally I hated the game (not because of quality, but because I died 4 or 5 times a minute on average) but to be fair the game really didn't feel like it needed a lot of patching. It worked very well mechanically speaking. Of course, by not supporting the game with updates means the dearth of maps is a large problem, but strictly speaking patching has always meant fixing bugs or broken mechanics.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 17:42 jacobvandy

Only reason I can think of to make a sequel instead of updating, is to not do F2P anymore.  

11. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 17:10 RaZ0r!

Jerykk wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 12:29:
A sequel? To a F2P game? Seems stupid. Better to continue supporting T:A while it still has a community.

Umm yeah I agree.

10. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 17:09 RaZ0r!

Yeah I think all these MOBAs coming out are all already way too late. LoL and DOTA2 own it all. DOTA2 was really too late itself, but it had the name 'DOTA', IceFrog, and Valve going for it.

I'm not sure there is that much room for multiple MOBAs, especially generic ones. Maybe one with a huge IP on it, like LotR or something could make some headway at this point.

Who knows though? We'll see.

9. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 15:38 Linksil

I think i'm one of the few people that didn't like Renegades mod. Then again I do hate having the hosted server model. Not just TA, but all games seem to be suffering from this of late.  

8. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 15:07 Flatline

I quit playing about six months ago but played the hell out of the game during it's beta and early launch. There were some tasty times to be sure.

However the hosted server model sucked and there was no mod support, so I never got to relive Renegades in all it's beautiful, beautiful glory (and to a lesser extent Shifter)

7. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 12:52 Linksil

This is a sad day... TA has so much potential, hell watching matches on twitch is some of the best game play around. Much better then watching COD or BF or other FOTM FPS. While I don't mind the state of the game right now, I can say I haven't played it since they stopped doing updates. Heck I think if you just have 3 maps or so every quarter planned you'd get a lot more fan support.  

6. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 12:29 Jerykk

A sequel? To a F2P game? Seems stupid. Better to continue supporting T:A while it still has a community.  

5. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 10:52 Axis

Played the hell outta TA, game is decent, still one of the few solo skilled FPS's out there.

However they are vested in smite right now, which is not a terrible game, but I don't envision many moba players replacing or adding to their LOL or Dota2 fix.

So they are just shooting themselves in the foot, bad move Hi-Rez.

Yours truly,

Axis

4. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 09:53 Tim Collins

They have no clue, if they want people to support a new game they need to support their previous games...idiots, yea their toast obviously.  

3. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 09:42 Armengar

They did the same with GA. Good player base, game nearly working. Then they dropped it without talking on the forums, ignored the fans etc. I wont be bothering wjth any more of their games as they clearly dont care about finishing them.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

2. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 09:34 Jackplug

Tribes Ascend went from bad to worse in gameplay, turned it into a cod game with jetpacks. Not played it for months...  

1. Re: Global Agenda 2 and Tribes Ascend 2 Take Precedence Over Tribes Ascend Patch Jul 12, 2013, 09:06 Ozmodan

I am not very impressed with this studio, I doubt they last the year.  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo