Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Summer Sale Begins

The Steam Store shows the eagerly anticipated Steam summer sale is underway, kicking off an 11 day extravaganza. Here's word:

July 11th, 2013 - Steam has launched our 2013 Summer Getaway Sale, with massive discounts on hundreds of PC, Mac and Linux titles. Right now, you can take advantage of up to 75% savings on hits like Bioshock Infinite, Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Grid 2, Don't Starve and more.

The Summer Getaway Sale offers you more ways to save than ever, with a hundred Daily Deals launching over the next eleven days. Check back often to take advantage of our eight-hour deep-discount Flash Sales. You can even help select what goes on sale with our Community's Choice Voting Sales.

For the first time, buying discounted games at this year's sale now earns you an all-new collectible in the form of Trading Cards. Collect, trade and craft over 50 new sets of cards, including 10 Summer Getaway Trading Cards that can only be earned during the sale. Each set can be crafted into badges, backgrounds, emoticons and other rewards.

The Steam Summer Getaway Sale will run from now until July 22nd. Complete information on Daily Deals, Flash Sales, Community Choice Voting and more can be found at http://www.steampowered.com. For more information on our new Trading Card feature, please visit http://steamcommunity.com/tradingcards.

View
113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

53. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:58 Creston

Yeah, I usually wait an hour before I try again. I fucking hate getting double-billed.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:52 Dev

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:49:
It really wouldn't be that much to ask of Valve to make sure that the storefront JUST FUCKING WORKS. And if you can't figure out how to do it, ask Amazon.

Creston
Or just use amazon to HOST IT IN THE FIRST PLACE!
LOL.

Anyway, don't put it through again until you confirm you didn't get the confirm email and after a steam restart, its still not in your library. Valve is a real bear to deal with in customer support and they got nutty anal if you have any billing issues (like delete your account if you have a couple chargebacks anal).

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:59.

51. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:49 Creston

Dev wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:40:
its not really bandwidth thats the problem.

Bandwith isn't the issue, no, it's concurrent connections. Because every single steam user is trying to access the store, that's why it'll flake out on you one second, and then let you in the next second.

I don't care that much while browsing the store, but having it flake out just as you hit the "confirm" button for the sale is fucking harrowing. Did it go through? Did it not? Am I going to get charged for it anyway? Should I put the order through again?

It really wouldn't be that much to ask of Valve to make sure that the storefront JUST FUCKING WORKS. And if you can't figure out how to do it, ask Amazon.

Creston

50. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:40 Dev

And as usual, steam is having issues

Sorry
The Steam Store is experiencing some heavy load right now. Please try again later.
Error 503 Service Unavailable
XID: 1740698750

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:08:
Flo wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:48:
AAAAAND it's down.

It really is fucking ridiculous that year after year after year valve just fucking refuses to temporarily put some extra goddamned capacity in place.

Creston
I say this every year, and usually no one else says anything about it.
Its not just the big sales, its the big game releases.

protip: if the majority of your income depends on your storefront being up, your storefront should be #1 absolute priority to keep up. Things like redundant servers, load balancing, way more reserve bandwidth than needed.

The really really sad thing is, its not really bandwidth thats the problem.
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/
None of the servers there are maxed. Which means its all front end issues. Just as its been every single other time I've checked.

Its not like valve doesn't have a ton of data points and info from past sales and how much each new sale has increased over the last one.

As a friend of mine said
"That would take 1:) Management direction and 2.) People who like to run a website. Neither of which Valve has."

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 18:48.

49. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:36 xXBatmanXx

Saboth wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:29:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:53:
Not impressed thus far. Pretty lackluster start.

I agree. The last 2 sales have been disappointing. Amazon, GMG and Gamefly have been beating the pants off of Steam as far as sales, even DURING the Steam Sale. There were a lot of 35, 40 and 50% deals today. Not very impressive.

Yea, grabbed 4 games on the last day when they brought them all back, was excited as I didn't know they had the sale going (been buys). Really hoping Rogue Legacy goes on sale, but I am not holding my breath.....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

48. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:29 Saboth

I agree. The last 2 sales have been disappointing. Amazon, GMG and Gamefly have been beating the pants off of Steam as far as sales, even DURING the Steam Sale. There were a lot of 35, 40 and 50% deals today. Not very impressive.

47. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:29 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:08:
Flo wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:48:
AAAAAND it's down.

It really is fucking ridiculous that year after year after year valve just fucking refuses to temporarily put some extra goddamned capacity in place.

Creston

Adding server capacity is not "fun."

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

46. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 18:02 Mashiki Amiketo

Asmo wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 17:53:

Side note, this trading card thing is hilarious. If Valved traded in software retail for crack cocaine dealing, I think they'd have half the world hooked in the first week with their sneaky marketing.
Yep. I've made a fair bit of money selling the things I'm not even collecting them.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

45. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 17:53 Asmo

Eh, they don't owe us anything and it's always nice to get something you've had your eye on for cheap.

For myself, I already have too many games/mmos/etc to play. I'll keep an eye on it but nothing a) that I don't already own or b) that I'm interested in has popped up yet.

Side note, this trading card thing is hilarious. If Valved traded in software retail for crack cocaine dealing, I think they'd have half the world hooked in the first week with their sneaky marketing.

44. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 17:44 ItBurn

Krovven wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:28:
GMG's 666 sale was garbage. Was mostly crappy budget games and was very limited, was made up of titles from the same IP's (ie: Worms games were on sale most cycles instead of just having them all discounted at once). Sales applied to bundles only and not individual titles. (ie: Total War and Borderlands 2). I didn't buy a single game during the GMG sale.

I bought like 5 games. Far from being crap.

43. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 17:27 Rattlehead

Dat sale  

42. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:45 MoreLuckThanSkill

Assuming the Steam store recovers from this self inflicted DoS attack, let me know when Skyrim Legendary edition drops down to $9.99

41. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:38 Tulwinn

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:09:
Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:55:
Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:45:
Bye money! I hardly knew ye!

Creston

Don't all of your Steam friends already own Snuggle Truck?

They do, actually! My mission was a success!

Creston
Maybe i need to try and add Creston as a friend and ruin it all

40. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:28 SpectralMeat

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:10:
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:08:
and keep this chart handy
http://i.imgur.com/fuUzL0d.png
Wait -- you are the one who pointed out GMG had better deals!
That chart can only be used ones you've made sure gmg or amazon or gamersgate or any other online retailer doesn't have a better deal

Steam: SpectralMeat

39. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:28 Krovven

You guys crack me up. It's day one, first set of Flash Deals and the first Community Choice hasn't even gone on sale yet. 10 days to go... Talk about impatient.

GMG's 666 sale was garbage. Was mostly crappy budget games and was very limited, was made up of titles from the same IP's (ie: Worms games were on sale most cycles instead of just having them all discounted at once). Sales applied to bundles only and not individual titles. (ie: Total War and Borderlands 2). I didn't buy a single game during the GMG sale.

Gunslinger is $10 on daily deal and is more than worth that. 6 people on my friends want the game and none have bought it yet today. One of them is in this thread complaining about the Steam Sale being lackluster. Shit or get off the pot.

I'm grabbing a few Pinball FX2 tables as they are 50% off, and a dev has posted in their community hub that they not get a further discount as a Daily Deal.

Considering Don't Starve 2 pack for $6.75 each.

38. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:10 Mr. Tact

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:08:
Wait -- you are the one who pointed out GMG had better deals!

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:08 SpectralMeat

Steam: SpectralMeat

36. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:05 Cutter

Check the $5 and $10 sections too. And don't forget to look at your wishlists. SOmethign may be on sale but not on the front page!

I just picked up Call of Juarez Gunslinger and Expeditions Conquistador for $10 each and so should everyone else! There's already a few more things I'm ready to grab but will wait a few days to see how it pans out and if GMG and Gamefly will do any better on certain other items too.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

35. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 16:05 MattyC

My thoughts. The only thing on sale that I really want right now is Shadowrun, and it was at that price before.

34. Re: Steam Summer Sale Begins Jul 11, 2013, 15:53 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

113 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo