Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2

Deep Silver and inXile Entertainment announce a deal whereby inXile's Wasteland 2 will be distributed worldwide by Deep Silver, and the publisher will also assist in QA testing and localization of the role-playing game. "This is a perfect opportunity for inXile: it allows us to continue to focus all of our energy and money into the creative aspects of the game while letting Deep Silver take our game outside of the pure digital space. This has the added bonus of allowing us to spend more of the Kickstarter funds on development while continue to retain all ownership and control," says Brian Fargo, CEO inXile Entertainment. "Iíve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

48. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 13, 2013, 04:51 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 05:23:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 23:59:
As has been mentioned many times already, distributors do not fund development.

Sure, I agree with this.

Who cares if Deep Silver gets a cut from physical sales?

I do. When the KS pitch involves bashing the traditional companies who don't want to support this kind of game, it implied they weren't going to be involved. I viewed that as a positive reason to back this game. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that others don't care.

There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible.

Really? I can't think of anywhere that you'd make many sales that doesn't have functioning internet.

Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution. You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties.

They're making profits from Wasteland 2, which is what I don't like. I don't think those profits should come to me, it's clear what funding a KS gets a backer. But as per the points above, I despise Deep Silver so I don't want them making money off of this. If they wanted to, they could have funded development and taken more of a risk. I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but I would prefer to leave out the vultures of the industry (traditional publishers/distributors) and have inXile make slightly less money. To me it would be similar to inXile adding in-game ads for non-backers to make more money. Both I find distasteful.

InXile can do what they want, but their behavior will impact how well they can fund future games.

There's a difference between "functioning internet" and "internet with sufficient speed and bandwidth allowances to make digital distribution viable." In countries like Russia, India, Thailand, Mexico, etc, the latter isn't as common as you think. That's why publishers often choose to release physical copies outside of the U.S.A. In the U.S., physical distribution of PC games is all but dead. That's not the case outside the U.S.

So, here are inXile's options if they want to make the game widely available internationally:

1) Try to handle distribution themselves, which means less money for development and less regions where the game is physically available (developers don't have the same distribution resources as a publisher).
2) Not bother with physical distribution at all, greatly reducing the game's overall availability and thus reducing potential revenue.
3) Cut a deal with a publisher to distribute the game in return for a small cut of each physical sale, allowing for maximum availability, maximum potential revenue and no impact on development.

Your argument basically boils down to "I don't like Deep Silver so I'd rather have inXile make less money and prevent more people from playing the game." Needless to say, that's not a good argument. DS is providing a service to inXile (distribution and localization). This service requires resources, which is why DS would get a cut of physical revenue. You call them "vultures" but that suggests that they are only taking and offering nothing in return. That's obviously not the case, otherwise inXile would have no reason to work with them.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

47. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 12, 2013, 08:31 RollinThundr

Julio wrote on Jul 12, 2013, 05:23:

Sure, I agree with this.

I do. When the KS pitch involves bashing the traditional companies who don't want to support this kind of game, it implied they weren't going to be involved. I viewed that as a positive reason to back this game. I'm perfectly fine with the fact that others don't care.

There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible.

Really? I can't think of anywhere that you'd make many sales that doesn't have functioning internet.

Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution. You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties.

They're making profits from Wasteland 2, which is what I don't like. I don't think those profits should come to me, it's clear what funding a KS gets a backer. But as per the points above, I despise Deep Silver so I don't want them making money off of this. If they wanted to, they could have funded development and taken more of a risk. I'm sure I'm not in the majority, but I would prefer to leave out the vultures of the industry (traditional publishers/distributors) and have inXile make slightly less money. To me it would be similar to inXile adding in-game ads for non-backers to make more money. Both I find distasteful.

InXile can do what they want, but their behavior will impact how well they can fund future games.

So you'd rather they not ship physical copies of the game at all or eat that cost themselves? At the end of the day none of your money went to Deep Silver, none of it. But because "publishers EVIL HERPA DERPA!" we get comments like this masterpiece.

46. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 12, 2013, 05:23 Julio

Sure, I agree with this.

45. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 12, 2013, 04:35 Soulburner

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 21:44:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 19:34:
At this point you and everyone else who refuses to read should be banned and removed from the internet.

Too bad for you that everyone's allowed to have an opinion. Even a person who is as unable to read as you.

Unlike you, I am not a fan of middlemen like Deep Silver and EA taking a piece of the pie. I much prefer them on the outside looking in, since they haven't been interested in the types of games I like to play. That was one of the great things about funding games by Kickstarter. There is going to be at least some cannibalization of digital sales by having physical copies of the game, which means Deep Silver gets paid off our KS backing.

If inXile would like to cut in the traditional distributor/publisher types, I would prefer to know up front. Might as well just fund KS at the minimum level then.

So you would prefer inXile to handle physical distribution by themselves too? You do realize that would make significantly less Kickstarter money available to make the game? Hiring a distributor who will only get a cut from the physical sales is the right way to go. Nothing is compromised and there's more money for the game.

Deep Silver has no say in the content of the game, release date, DRM, etc - *nothing*. They may put their logo on the box, though.

This is not a classical publisher-developer deal. It's just distribution. Deep Silver will not get any money from digital sales, so if you hate them so much - simply buy it online and download.

44. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 23:59 Jerykk

Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 21:44:
At this point you and everyone else who refuses to read should be banned and removed from the internet.

Too bad for you that everyone's allowed to have an opinion. Even a person who is as unable to read as you.

Unlike you, I am not a fan of middlemen like Deep Silver and EA taking a piece of the pie. I much prefer them on the outside looking in, since they haven't been interested in the types of games I like to play. That was one of the great things about funding games by Kickstarter. There is going to be at least some cannibalization of digital sales by having physical copies of the game, which means Deep Silver gets paid off our KS backing.

If inXile would like to cut in the traditional distributor/publisher types, I would prefer to know up front. Might as well just fund KS at the minimum level then.

Your logic is flawed. As has been mentioned many times already, distributors do not fund development. If you only back Kickstarters at the minimum level, then that's less money for development, which generally results in a smaller and/or inferior game. Who cares if Deep Silver gets a cut from physical sales? There are a lot of regions in the world where digital distribution isn't really feasible. Thanks to physical distribution, people in these regions can now buy Wasteland 2 and give most of that money to inXile. How is this a bad thing? These are extra sales that wouldn't have happened without physical distribution. Deep Silver isn't taking your Kickstarter money because that money was for development, not physical distribution.

You act like you're an investor and you don't want to share any profits with other parties. You're not an investor. You are a customer. You paid money for a game. When you agreed to back Wasteland 2, at no point were you ever promised a return on that investment other than the game and whatever perks were offered at your tier. Letting Deep Silver handle distribution and QA means inXile gets to make a better game AND make more money from that game.

43. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 21:44 Julio

42. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 20:51 Mad Max RW

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 20:15:
Julio wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 17:58:
Disappointed with inXile for doing this. It just feels wrong, they might as well have gone with EA as Deep Silver. Both are terrible. I guess these guys want to go back to the model of having to beg EA/Ubi for money instead of doing Kickstarters.

Hopefully they will keep their word on not having DRM, including their promise to not have Steam only for digital distribution.

And if you can't deal with other peoples opinions then remove yourself from the internet instead.

It's not based on any opinions. People are just refusing to read the damn facts then acting like idiots.

41. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 20:15 Cutter

Disappointed with inXile for doing this. It just feels wrong, they might as well have gone with EA as Deep Silver. Both are terrible. I guess these guys want to go back to the model of having to beg EA/Ubi for money instead of doing Kickstarters.

Hopefully they will keep their word on not having DRM, including their promise to not have Steam only for digital distribution.

And if you can't deal with other peoples opinions then remove yourself from the internet instead.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

40. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 19:34 Mad Max RW

39. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 18:20 RollinThundr

NewMaxx wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 18:12:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:25:
vaudeville circus act mentality

LOL! Well, I recall another discussion about publishers and I said not so many nice words about them. When I said those things, though, I made it clear that it was because the publisher ended up holding most of the power while being able to deflect a considerable amount of the blame. That's not the case here...inXile holds the cards and would be liable for a failed product. In other words, how it should be.

Honestly I don't disagree, however we wouldn't have the industry we have today if it weren't for publishers putting up the funds to create this industry in the first place.

Yes we're moving away from the traditional way to get games made and distributed with Steam's Greenlight and Kickstarter and the like, and that's all well and good, I for one can't wait for Shadowrun Returns, something I was more than happy to back.

However certain people have this habit of demonizing publishers just for the sake of it. I'm not saying you're one of those people but I see it enough on a daily basis from the usual suspects that it gets old after awhile reading the same butthurt day in day out.

38. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 18:12 NewMaxx

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:25:
vaudeville circus act mentality

LOL! Well, I recall another discussion about publishers and I said not so many nice words about them. When I said those things, though, I made it clear that it was because the publisher ended up holding most of the power while being able to deflect a considerable amount of the blame. That's not the case here...inXile holds the cards and would be liable for a failed product. In other words, how it should be.

37. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 17:58 Julio

36. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 16:25 RollinThundr

ASeven wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:32:
Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:42:
There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.

Quoting this for truth.

Double quoting for absolute truth. Some people however are so rooted in their "all publishers are evil" vaudeville circus act mentality however to realize the difference between distribution and actually fully funding development on a title. News flash they aren't the same.

35. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 16:14 Creston

Prez wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 15:54:
Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:12:
"Iíve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with. a bunch of fucking assholes who infest games with shit like Starforce and TAGES, even up to this very fucking day."

I fixed your quote for you there, Brian. My copy of the game better come without whatever horseshit DRM Deep Silver will insist on putting on there.

Creston

Holy shit - I can just imagine the internet shitstorm if they pulled that! inXile may as well dynamite their development studio if they are going to do that - it would be utter career suicide. Like others, I have to wonder about a studio that speaks out of both sides of their mouth. "Publishers suck - we don't want to deal with them" and "Ooh look, we have a publisher for our kickstarter project".

Ummm, what?

Nah, they won't do that, and I knew they wouldn't. I was just bitching at Deep Silver.

Creston

34. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 15:54 Prez

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:12:
"Iíve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with. a bunch of fucking assholes who infest games with shit like Starforce and TAGES, even up to this very fucking day."

I fixed your quote for you there, Brian. My copy of the game better come without whatever horseshit DRM Deep Silver will insist on putting on there.

Creston

Holy shit - I can just imagine the internet shitstorm if they pulled that! inXile may as well dynamite their development studio if they are going to do that - it would be utter career suicide. Like others, I have to wonder about a studio that speaks out of both sides of their mouth. "Publishers suck - we don't want to deal with them" and "Ooh look, we have a publisher for our kickstarter project".

Ummm, what?

ďThe greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Ē
- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 15:53 Cutter

Nio, Cres is right. The entire point of KS is to cut out the middleman BS. Hire someone to do it if you need to or don't promise so much. Honestly I was more than happy to back the game but I could care less about all the perks at higher tiers. The focus should always be the game and game alone anyway. You want to kick in more? Super, buy copies for your friends instead. I don't want to see publishers tied into a crowd-sourced project in any way, shape, or form. It's why I didn't back Roberts because he's so evasive. It's why I didn't back Braden - and look at the IPO shit going on now, etc. etc. etc. If there's no trust there's no deal and that's the end of the KS model.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 15:29 Creston

TheEmissary wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 14:41:
The whole point of kickstarter was getting the creative freedom to make something that was extremely hard to get support to get going. It wasn't about flipping the bird to all publishers.

Yeah, that's not really the vibe I got from Brian's talks on the issue over the past year... He seemed pretty doggone set on eliminating the publishers from the story altogether.

I kind of doubt that inXile is going to sign away the rights to the game to get published or change the stance on DRM or the backer rewards. Deep Silver is just one part of the distribution and I am sure the game will probably also appear on Steam, Desura, Origin, and etc.

It will. That's why it seems weird for them to sign a deal with Deep Silver for physical distribution. I seriously doubt any kind of percentage of sales will be physical.

It seems more likely they just did this to get Deep silver to handle the distribution of the awards and to do QA. But eh, still wish they'd have gone with anyone but Deep Silver. For Brian to go "They're such great guys!" is just bullshit. Deep silver is one of the most terrible publishers in existence.

Creston

31. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 14:41 TheEmissary

The whole point of kickstarter was getting the creative freedom to make something that was extremely hard to get support to get going. It wasn't about flipping the bird to all publishers.

I kind of doubt that inXile is going to sign away the rights to the game to get published or change the stance on DRM or the backer rewards. Deep Silver is just one part of the distribution and I am sure the game will probably also appear on Steam, Desura, Origin, and etc.

30. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 14:32 ASeven

There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.

Quoting this for truth.

29. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 14:24 Shineyguy

Just quoting this in the off chance that someone misses one of the other three posts with this same reasoning. The nubs need to read this to understand.

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo