Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2

Deep Silver and inXile Entertainment announce a deal whereby inXile's Wasteland 2 will be distributed worldwide by Deep Silver, and the publisher will also assist in QA testing and localization of the role-playing game. "This is a perfect opportunity for inXile: it allows us to continue to focus all of our energy and money into the creative aspects of the game while letting Deep Silver take our game outside of the pure digital space. This has the added bonus of allowing us to spend more of the Kickstarter funds on development while continue to retain all ownership and control," says Brian Fargo, CEO inXile Entertainment. "I’ve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with."

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

28. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 14:17 qsto

Gadzooks wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:31:
Deep Silver had no issues publishing Dead Island in the craptastic shape that it was in, and did NOTHING to fix or support the game. In fact, they rushed to pump out a sequel while many users still have issues with the first game.

They are the reasons I wont be buying Saints Row 4, or any other game for that matter.

Screw publishers
Screw people who use kickstarter and THEN still get a publisher.

Greed doesnt belong in the gaming world.

Not sure what "craptastic shape" you're referring to. I've cooped through both DI games and experienced pretty much zero issues. Sure, I had DI helper running on the backround, but iirc that was mostly to fix the mouse. Not a big deal.

And btw, greed belongs in life, bro. Get over it...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 14:05 Silicon Avatar

I'm a backer of Wasteland 2 and I don't get what the big deal is. If I get my game what do I care if Obsidian makes has a distributor? All that means is they'll probably have more sales and more money to make a sequel.

I'm pretty sure it was on Steam too anyhow, so it's not like there aren't alternatives.

26. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 13:32 John

InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:54:
Shadowrun, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity....

Its good to be a PC gamer once again!
..and Torment!

This space is available for rent

25. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:47 Beamer

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:42:
There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.

You're like the 4th person to say this here.
And people still aren't reading it.

Eh. Whatever. Let people complain and feel betrayed and not play what's looking like an amazing game due to spite.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

24. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:46 Mad Max RW

Jerykk wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:42:
There's a big difference between a publisher and a distributor. A publisher funds actual development and thus has a significant amount of creative input. A distributor merely distributes the game and has no creative input because they aren't paying for development. If Deep Silver has agreed to handle QA and localization for inXile, that's a pretty good deal. RPGs need a lot of testing and most developers don't have the resources to handle that. Ditto with localization.

Don't start using common sense now. The idiots need something to complain about.

23. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:42 Jerykk

22. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:41 Beamer

Gadzooks wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:31:
Deep Silver had no issues publishing Dead Island in the craptastic shape that it was in, and did NOTHING to fix or support the game. In fact, they rushed to pump out a sequel while many users still have issues with the first game.

They are the reasons I wont be buying Saints Row 4, or any other game for that matter.

Screw publishers

So you're giving up on games?
Or does "not buying" mean "pirating?"

In any case, you sound like you're about 12 and starting to realize the world isn't fair and not everyone gives you exactly what you want, how you want, and when you want.

-------------

21. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:31 Gadzooks

Screw publishers

20. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:30 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:11:
Do they really think they're going to sell enough physical copies to even make it worth doing this?

I don't know, but today I'm going to setup a table/chair outside my local Wal Mart and ask. Lets just get to the bottom of this one.

19. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:23 Soulburner

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:11:
Soulburner wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:04:
In this case, Deep Silver is the kind of publisher who handles physical copies distribution only.

Right, I'm not saying Deep Silver suddenly gets to say what goes in the game and what doesn't, but why bother with physical copies to begin with? Do they really think they're going to sell enough physical copies to even make it worth doing this?

Creston

That's a good point. I didn't buy a physical copy of a game in ages and I don't think anyone is shocked to find a game distributed only digitally in 2013. However, we don't know the exact details of the deal and I'm not an accountant or a marketing guru - it must be somehow profitable. If they don't have to invest in the physical distribution and only share some percentage of the price with Deep Silver it's not a bad thing, I guess.

18. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:11 Creston

Soulburner wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 12:04:
In this case, Deep Silver is the kind of publisher who handles physical copies distribution only.

Right, I'm not saying Deep Silver suddenly gets to say what goes in the game and what doesn't, but why bother with physical copies to begin with? Do they really think they're going to sell enough physical copies to even make it worth doing this?

Edit: Apparently Deep Silver is also going to be handling the distribution of the rewards.

For our backers and fans, it assures you that distribution will be handled professionally and quickly, and will assure a smooth experience for getting the game and goodies into your hands.

I can't wait to see what kind of DRM my physical stuff will come with! I probably will have to call Deep Silver if I want to look at my cloth map for a second time in a month.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 12:19.

17. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 12:04 Soulburner

I think there's a difference between a publisher and a publisher - let me explain: when the publisher is financing your game, they have creative control over it. They can tell you to add stuff, to remove and change things, to implement their choice of DRM and tell you when to release it, whether it's ready or not.

In this case, Deep Silver is the kind of publisher who handles physical copies distribution only. They will earn some percentage of the sale, of course, but it is going to be significantly cheaper than inXile handling everything themselves. Thus there will be more money invested in the game itself - which is also 100% financed already, if I must remind you.

It's kind of similar with Valve and EA - EA has no say in how Valve works on their games. EA simply lets you buy a physical copy of, for example, The Orange Box. Nothing more.

I like the new screenshot, although I'm not a fan of depth of field effect, but I bet there will be an option to disable it. Can't wait for the game - I'm not a backer of the Kickstarter campaign but I will buy it once it released on day one. I love such games and I'm kind of sick of fantasy-based RPGs

16. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:52 Optional Nickname!

How curious that inXile feels the need to purchase an erstwhile publisher. As someone has already posted, is not a Kickstarter project created ostensibly to eliminate the need for external publisher services? Perhaps they are understaffed and/or Deep Silver undercut themselves in pricing.

An aside: People are putting much faith in the promise of the Unity3D engine. PC gaming is alive and well, they cry! As long as it shares the same development platform as your phone.

Disclaimer: Freebie Wasteland2 copy coming my way.

15. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:46 Beamer

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:31:
Um isn't the point of ks to eliminate the need for publishers? Also, as far as track records go, DS implements some pretty nasty DRM in their games. Look at Stalker. Both Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat contain Tages I believe.

And this did reduce the need for a publisher.
But, given how large a project this is, it needed a distributor.

-------------

14. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:31 RollinThundr

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:18:
Did you bother to read the full announcement? I'll even paste the important part here:

Does this change anything about inXile’s plans in DRM or DLC/expansions?

Not at all, that too remains in our control. Deep Silver is a perfect partner for this: they have no interest in interfering with our promises when it comes to DRM-free release or any future plans we may have for expansions, all our previous promises on these stand. So the only real impact for our backers is that the physical goods fulfillment is in good hands.

I didn't read it, and to be honest I figured it wouldn't make a difference for the backers, same as the Shadowrun deal didn't make a diference for backers. I'm just disgusted that they

A) Decide to still go with a publisher, after he (Brian) just spent the last year bitching about how fucking ASS publishers are to work with. Why can't you just put your game on Steam and Origin and be happy, Brian? You need those extra fifty physical sales so badly that you feel the need to hand it over to a publisher, and to get them involved again? Wasn't the whole fucking POINT of Kickstarter that we could start doing games WITHOUT fucking publishers?? So now you're asking your customers to take all the risk, and in the end Deep Silver still gets their fucking cut. Great. That'll help us get rid of publishers, for sure.

B) They go with Deep Silver, of all fucking publishers they could have gone with. Deep Silver is literally one tiny little fucking notch above EA when it comes to "Will this inconvenience the customer? Ah fuck it, DO IT!" And it's a really, really, really, REALLY tiny fucking notch.

But yeah, I knew better than to worry that my own copy would come with bullshit.

Creston

Did you really just essentially call Deep Silver the same as EA?

13. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:31 Rattlehead

Um isn't the point of ks to eliminate the need for publishers? Also, as far as track records go, DS implements some pretty nasty DRM in their games. Look at Stalker. Both Clear Sky and Call of Pripyat contain Tages I believe.  

12. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:26 Creston

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:18:
Did you bother to read the full announcement? I'll even paste the important part here:

Not at all, that too remains in our control. Deep Silver is a perfect partner for this: they have no interest in interfering with our promises when it comes to DRM-free release or any future plans we may have for expansions, all our previous promises on these stand. So the only real impact for our backers is that the physical goods fulfillment is in good hands.

I didn't read it, and to be honest I figured it wouldn't make a difference for the backers, same as the Shadowrun deal didn't make a diference for backers. I'm just disgusted that they

A) Decide to still go with a publisher, after he (Brian) just spent the last year bitching about how fucking ASS publishers are to work with. Why can't you just put your game on Steam and Origin and be happy, Brian? You need those extra fifty physical sales so badly that you feel the need to hand it over to a publisher, and to get them involved again? Wasn't the whole fucking POINT of Kickstarter that we could start doing games WITHOUT fucking publishers?? So now you're asking your customers to take all the risk, and in the end Deep Silver still gets their fucking cut. Great. That'll help us get rid of publishers, for sure.

B) They go with Deep Silver, of all fucking publishers they could have gone with. Deep Silver is literally one tiny little fucking notch above EA when it comes to "Will this inconvenience the customer? Ah fuck it, DO IT!" And it's a really, really, really, REALLY tiny fucking notch.

But yeah, I knew better than to worry that my own copy would come with bullshit.

Creston

11. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:18 Mad Max RW

Creston wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:12:
"I’ve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with. a bunch of fucking assholes who infest games with shit like Starforce and TAGES, even up to this very fucking day."

I fixed your quote for you there, Brian. My copy of the game better come without whatever horseshit DRM Deep Silver will insist on putting on there.

Creston

10. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:17 Sphinx

Can I.. can I still shoot punks with Walkmans to the point that they still get splattered into blood sausage?

-Sphinx

9. Re: Deep Silver Distributing Wasteland 2 Jul 11, 2013, 11:12 Creston

"I’ve known the people at Deep Silver for many years and they have always been a first rate organization to deal with. a bunch of fucking assholes who infest games with shit like Starforce and TAGES, even up to this very fucking day."

I fixed your quote for you there, Brian. My copy of the game better come without whatever horseshit DRM Deep Silver will insist on putting on there.

Creston

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo