Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Reorganizes

Microsoft announces their promised reorganization, calling this "a far-reaching realignment of the company that will enable us to innovate with greater speed, efficiency and capability in a fast changing world" (thanks nin). Here's a bit on the plans:

There will be four engineering areas: OS, Apps, Cloud, and Devices. We will keep Dynamics separate as it continues to need special focus and represents significant opportunity. We will consolidate our technologies coherently into these groups pulling together some things that have been spread out in our current BG structure like cloud infrastructure, operating systems, mail, and identity, to name a few. Some of these changes will involve putting things together and others will involve repartitioning the work, but in all instances we will be more coherent for our users and developers. We have resolved many details of this org, but we still will have more work to do. Undoubtedly, as we involve more people there will be new issues and changes to our current thinking as well. Completing this process will take through the end of the calendar year as we figure things out and as we keep existing teams focused on current deliverables like Windows 8.1, Xbox One, Windows Phone, etc.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

17. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 11:42 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:00:
Ballmer still doesn't understand, the insular, cult-like culture and ongoing feuds between departments are the issues and he has fostered them. Their review processes need to be fundamentally re-examined, last I heard they still going on with old review model under a different name. Also where is Ballmer's heir apparent? Microsoft in general has a remarkable ability to ignore feedback and press on with poorly thought out ideas, I suspect that extends from Ballmer on down. He thinks he will rule his little fiefdom forever apparently. Consumers and investors want innovative products and forward thinking vision. Jobs for all of his (and Apples) faults had a remarkable ability to cut tech down to precisely what people wanted. People want that sort of clarity in design, they want to buy those products. They aren't buying a corporate management reorg.

My friends at MS say Ballmer has actually helped fix that culture in recent years, but they may just be buying in to those who pay them.

This sounds like it would fix it, too, as basically all OS is under one person now, rather than split.

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:49:
More specifically, Terry Myerson—formerly of Windows phone fame specifically—will be heading up the entire OS department, including Windows and Xbox software and systems. Additionally, Julie Larson-Green will now be heading all hardware development, a turn from her previous, strictly Windows position.

Bye Julie! Take your shitty UIs with you!

Yeah, but who is the guy that brought us Metro in the first place? Julie brought it to desktop, but I'm sure that was Terry's idea.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 11:21 Creston

avianflu wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:19:
Cloud is 25% of the pie? Ugh.

MS makes a fucking fortune from Azure. I'm surprised it isn't higher.

Creston

15. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:51 Mr. Tact

Haha! Awesome. Just fucking awesome.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

14. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:44 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:41:
Oh please tell me that's what really happens, because that would be so awesome.

If you're referring to post 12, that's exactly what happens in 8.1/Blue.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

13. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:41 Mr. Tact

Oh please tell me that's what really happens, because that would be so awesome.  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

12. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:38 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:36:
Darks wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:32:
First and foremost, how about when your customers tell you they don’t like something, you actually sit down and listen to what they are saying and fix it. Wouldn’t that be something!! Hello sucky Win 8!!
That'll never happen, they know what you want

"Here's your start button back! Oh look, it just takes you to Metro! Tee hee!!!!!!"

11. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:36 SpectralMeat

Darks wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:32:
First and foremost, how about when your customers tell you they don’t like something, you actually sit down and listen to what they are saying and fix it. Wouldn’t that be something!! Hello sucky Win 8!!
That'll never happen, they know what you want

Steam: SpectralMeat

10. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:32 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

9. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:30 InBlack

I think that Microsoft's biggest problem is that it saw how fucking successful Apple was with its closed in 'exclusive' systems and now wants to emulate them so badly its blatantly disregarding its own installbase and origins, which are all based on the relatively open IBM PC compatible infrastructure.

It doesnt realise that Apple is successful BECAUSE those people wanted something different from Windows and the regular desktop PCs, laptops and whatnot.

If I wanted an Apple product Ill buy an Apple product. Im not going to buy an inferior copy of an Apple product...

Dont get me wrong Microsoft was never the best at what it did, but it was ubiquitous, ever present and it produced the only commercialy viable OS that was a jack-of-all-trades for everything.

Remember when Apps used to be called programs? (Without the capital letter!)
Just look at their Microsoft's 'reorganization' areas: OS, Apps, Cloud, Devices. Look familiar? Try stickin an 'i' in front of each of those nouns....

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:19 avianflu

Cloud is 25% of the pie? Ugh.  

7. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:16 wtf_man

InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:58:
So....apart from the XBone, what else falls under Devices?? Is Microsoft going to be making mice again?

Tablets. RT and Surface Pro. Not sure if they'll start manufacturing their own phone and alienate the few vendors that make Windows Phones (Nokia, HTC, etc.)

6. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:14 J

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:04:
So....apart from the XBone, what else falls under Devices?? Is Microsoft going to be making mice again?

I for one want them to start making flight sticks again, there is a serious lack of competition with regards to Thrustmaster and Saitek...

She'll create a "joystick" in the shape of a ship's wheel and tell you how it's better for you, offers more control, and that everyone loves it!

Then it will be bundled with and required to use Windows 9.
I heard that you need a persistent internet connection in order to use it.

5. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:14 SpectralMeat

nin wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:04:

I for one want them to start making flight sticks again, there is a serious lack of competition with regards to Thrustmaster and Saitek...

She'll create a "joystick" in the shape of a ship's wheel and tell you how it's better for you, offers more control, and that everyone loves it!

and it will be always on
deal with it

Steam: SpectralMeat

4. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:04 nin

3. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 10:00 Verno

Ballmer still doesn't understand, the insular, cult-like culture and ongoing feuds between departments are the issues and he has fostered them. Their review processes need to be fundamentally re-examined, last I heard they still going on with old review model under a different name. Also where is Ballmer's heir apparent? Microsoft in general has a remarkable ability to ignore feedback and press on with poorly thought out ideas, I suspect that extends from Ballmer on down. He thinks he will rule his little fiefdom forever apparently. Consumers and investors want innovative products and forward thinking vision. Jobs for all of his (and Apples) faults had a remarkable ability to cut tech down to precisely what people wanted. People want that sort of clarity in design, they want to buy those products. They aren't buying a corporate management reorg.

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 10:06.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

2. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 09:58 InBlack

I have a nifty blue line!

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo