Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft Reorganizes

Microsoft announces their promised reorganization, calling this "a far-reaching realignment of the company that will enable us to innovate with greater speed, efficiency and capability in a fast changing world" (thanks nin). Here's a bit on the plans:

There will be four engineering areas: OS, Apps, Cloud, and Devices. We will keep Dynamics separate as it continues to need special focus and represents significant opportunity. We will consolidate our technologies coherently into these groups pulling together some things that have been spread out in our current BG structure like cloud infrastructure, operating systems, mail, and identity, to name a few. Some of these changes will involve putting things together and others will involve repartitioning the work, but in all instances we will be more coherent for our users and developers. We have resolved many details of this org, but we still will have more work to do. Undoubtedly, as we involve more people there will be new issues and changes to our current thinking as well. Completing this process will take through the end of the calendar year as we figure things out and as we keep existing teams focused on current deliverables like Windows 8.1, Xbox One, Windows Phone, etc.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 23:53 HorrorScope

After reading the MS Keys and their Privacy link and you...

I hope this restructure fails hard. I'd sacrifice pc gaming as we know it, if need be. BS.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 21:11 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 20:24:
So you're equating using a free service as the same as paying for something you don't want? Yeah...ok. Rolleyes
Uh... that is their business model. You're going to hold their business model against us?

This comment was edited on Jul 11, 2013, 21:45.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

35. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 20:28 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 20:24:
Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 17:45:
Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 17:31:

None of that matters to your point of "they wouldn't force you." Yes, Google does force things on you. They may be better, but it's marginal.

So you're equating using a free service as the same as paying for something you don't want? Yeah...ok. Rolleyes

What?
No.
You said Google wouldn't force you to use something you do not want in order to use something you do want.
I'm saying Google forces you to use plenty of things in order to access other things.

You making Google out to be some angel that doesn't force stupid crap is wrong. I don't know where you're getting these other twists from. Google loves to make you use different junk.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

34. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 20:24 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 17:45:

None of that matters to your point of "they wouldn't force you." Yes, Google does force things on you. They may be better, but it's marginal.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

33. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 18:02 Julio

And Microsoft will still produce terrible products and 'services'. Xflop One, Windows 8, Office Ribbon, Surface Tablet, Zune for the win.  

32. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 17:45 Beamer

And if you don't use those service who cares? Secondly, they don't cost you anything, do they? Third, I was speaking in terms of when Google does soemthign that doesn't work it usually goes to the graveyard PDQ. They don't sit around trying to convince themselves and everyone else that this what you're supposed to want for no apparent reason.

-------------

31. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 17:31 Cutter

And if you don't use those service who cares? Secondly, they don't cost you anything, do they? Third, I was speaking in terms of when Google does soemthign that doesn't work it usually goes to the graveyard PDQ. They don't sit around trying to convince themselves and everyone else that this what you're supposed to want for no apparent reason.

30. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 16:41 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:06:
Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:02:
If Google owned the Xbox do you think for a second they'd be trying to force the Kinect on people with their upcoming 180? Hell no.
Why not? They forced me to use their new menu style in Chrome which is designed to be used on tablets and phones -- which makes it terrible for me on my PC. Google is not much better than any other corporation, it's their way or the highway.

They force you to use one login at any time, which means they force you to combine YouTube and Gmail.
They force you to have a Google+ account to use some services, such as Google sign-in in most cases.
They scan your email, track your YouTube watches, know who you're friends with, etc.

-------------

29. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 16:06 Mr. Tact

Cutter wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 16:02:
If Google owned the Xbox do you think for a second they'd be trying to force the Kinect on people with their upcoming 180? Hell no.
Why not? They forced me to use their new menu style in Chrome which is designed to be used on tablets and phones -- which makes it terrible for me on my PC. Google is not much better than any other corporation, it's their way or the highway.

28. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 16:02 Cutter

The main problem for MS remains at the top. Everyone has made salient points about stop trying to follow what others do when they do it better, focus on what you do well and do it better - e.g. Windows. Ultimately none of this means anything because they're still trying to tell people what they want instead of listening to what they want.

If Google owned the Xbox do you think for a second they'd be trying to force the Kinect on people with their upcoming 180? Hell no. They'd have deep sixed the whole thing by now realizing it for the failure it is. But MS, no, they're going to try and ram it down everyone's throat when no one wants the damn thing to begin with. And this sort of mentality and obstinacy carries over to every single thing they do. That's like you sitting down at my bar at I dictate to you what you're going to eat and drink. Not suggest it mind you, but dictate it, and if you don't like it GTFO and go somewhere else!!!

So yeah, this is all sound and fury signifying nothing.

27. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 16:01 Verno

Any reorg with Ballmer at the helm is doomed, he is obviously trying to copy the One Ford mantra that Alan Mullally made successful but ignoring that culture change starts at the top and unless he's willing to change his thinking and methods then the people below him will be fighting against the tide. They really just need a CEO who is capable of understanding consumer markets, something that Ballmer has proven to be inept at countless times.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

26. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 14:49 NegaDeath

Meh, sounds like they'll just get faster at releasing products nobody wants.  

25. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 14:02 killer_roach

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:42:
My friends at MS say Ballmer has actually helped fix that culture in recent years, but they may just be buying in to those who pay them.

I've heard that as well, mostly by firing a bunch of project team heads that were trying to use their position as a shot to either a) angle themselves for an executive job (possibly even replace Ballmer) or b) gain enough of a following so that they could jump to another company for more money. Ballmer flushed out a lot of those people basically on grounds of disloyalty.

24. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 14:01 eRe4s3r

Now it's a cloud app  

23. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 13:47 nin

Necrophob wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 13:20:
J wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:14:
nin wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:04:
InBlack wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 09:58:
So....apart from the XBone, what else falls under Devices?? Is Microsoft going to be making mice again?

I for one want them to start making flight sticks again, there is a serious lack of competition with regards to Thrustmaster and Saitek...

She'll create a "joystick" in the shape of a ship's wheel and tell you how it's better for you, offers more control, and that everyone loves it!

Then it will be bundled with and required to use Windows 9.
I heard that you need a persistent internet connection in order to use it.

I heard that the Kinect watches you while you shower. :/

When you're in shower, you're afraid to wash your HAY-ir!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 13:33 Mr. Tact

Was it ever not an app?  

21. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 13:25 jdreyer

So, MS Office is now an "App"?  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

20. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 13:24 jdreyer

Beamer wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 11:42:
Yeah, but who is the guy that brought us Metro in the first place? Julie brought it to desktop, but I'm sure that was Terry's idea.

Well, there's nothing wrong with Metro as a MOBILE UI. Bringing it to the desktop is the entire problem.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 13:20 Necrophob

J wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:14:
nin wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:04:
So....apart from the XBone, what else falls under Devices?? Is Microsoft going to be making mice again?

I for one want them to start making flight sticks again, there is a serious lack of competition with regards to Thrustmaster and Saitek...

She'll create a "joystick" in the shape of a ship's wheel and tell you how it's better for you, offers more control, and that everyone loves it!

Then it will be bundled with and required to use Windows 9.
I heard that you need a persistent internet connection in order to use it.

I heard that the Kinect watches you while you shower. :/

18. Re: Microsoft Reorganizes Jul 11, 2013, 12:22 Scottish Martial Arts

The Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS is pretty much the perfect stick for fixed wing aviation. That thing is simply unbeatable in its build quality, precision, functionality, and physical attractiveness. It's less ideal for rotary-wing aviation to the short throw of the stick, and the fact that a dual throttle is nothing like a collective, but for the truly hardcore chopper heads there are speciality manufacturers out there who produce incredible cyclic, collective, anti-torque pedal, seat combinations. Expect to drop about a $1200 on them though.

Still having more competition in the market is never a bad thing.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo