Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Dota 2 Rollout Details

As revealed last night Dota 2 is out of beta, and players are being added to Valve's free-to-play MOBA game. This process had a bit of a false start last night, but things were straightened out quickly enough. Here's the official announcement with word on how players are being added gradually, as planned:

July 9, 2013 - Valve, creators of best selling game franchises (Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (Source, Steam), today announced the public launch of the highly-anticipated Dota 2.

During a two year beta, Dota 2 grew to be the largest active community in Steam's history, with a monthly user base of more than 3 million users, and peak concurrent users of over 300,000.

The feedback from these users has put Dota 2 in position to welcome everyone to come and play, as we move from beta to launch. Given the size of the Dota audience, the initial launch of the game will be done in waves. This will ensure that existing Dota 2 users will keep playing without disruption, and new users will be able to join the community seamlessly.

"Thanks to those who participated in the beta and Workshop contributors, you've helped us build the game and define the infrastructure to support it," said Erik Johnson of Valve. "Our goal over the next few weeks is continue to make the game more enjoyable as more players are brought in. We hope to make it as smooth as possible for existing players and new players alike."

Those who wish to request their entry to the game just need to visit the Steam page (http://store.steampowered.com/app/570/), sign up, and keep a look out for an email letting them know it's time to play.

Available for the PC via Steam, Dota 2 is the massive sequel to one of the most played games of all time, and offers a unique blend of RTS and RPG action.

For more information, please visit http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover

View
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

32. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 11, 2013, 10:30 Verno

For Fibrocyte, Cubeworld is open for purchase, gogo before the DDOSers hit it again.

This thread seems to consist of two types of replies:

"I play Dota and it's fun!"

"I don't play Dota and don't understand people who do. It's boring and for stupids."

I know which one I'm more inclined to believe.

Pretty much. The community gets a lot of hate but some of the replies here from people who don't like Dota 2 make me glad they aren't in the game, they are just as snobby and toxic as the worst Dota players I've come across.

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

31. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 18:41 Graham

This thread seems to consist of two types of replies:

"I play Dota and it's fun!"

"I don't play Dota and don't understand people who do. It's boring and for stupids."

I know which one I'm more inclined to believe.

30. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 17:26 MattyC

So far I haven't really found any MOBA games interesting, but with it being free I see no reason not to give it a go. It looks like it has pretty neat art direction.

To be fair I think the biggest reason I didn't like HoN etc was the community, not the game(s). People who are in to these just seem to be an angry angry lot. TF2 (for the most part) has a great community and it is F2P on Steam, so hopefully DOTA2 will work the same way...

29. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:45 Beelzebud

Looks like the Linux beta is being added at the moment too. It downloads but is missing the executable. Standard practice for their Linux releases.  

28. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:44 Cyanotetyphas

Okay, 300,000 concurrent users but nowhere do they say how many concurrent hats. Need this information asap.  

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

27. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:40 Redmask

ThundrBlundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:27:
Sure but there's alot more involved with actual build orders, tech trees and going different routes on how you build your forces.

MOBA games usually have all of those concepts in different forms which you would know if you had bothered to play any.

26. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:39 Primalchrome

I played Warcraft for fun...AoE2 and M:tFL at a ranked level. I think the Total War series is excellent and the Dawn of War series is great fun. I always thought the C&C and StarCraft were more click fest RTS rather than tactical/strategic in nature. That's my opinion....but it obviously doesn't translate into what the masses feel about those two platforms.

If you like feel that clickfest is the pinnacle of RTS, then you probably wouldn't like most MOBAs. That being said, again, your opinion would not translate into what the overwhelming masses feel about MOBAs. League of Legends is the #1 played game in the world. Their end of season tournaments dwarf *any* esport tournament in history. DOTA2 is doing the exact same thing within the Steam community.

Clickfest RTS fanbois feel that MOBAs aren't as complex or require as much strategic/tactical thought as their flavor of RTS. It's a silly position being taken by people that are looking at RTS from an unfounded elitist position. SC requires a great deal more attention in the form of keeping up with scads of units across an entire map. This has a huge amount of task loading for a gamer and is quite challenging and fun. MOBAs require keeping up with a much smaller number of units...but you are also keeping up with a huge number of variables not present in SC. You have to know how every character's abilities work...a general feel for their cooldowns...timing of minion waves and how they will fare against the opposing wave...the timing of neutral monster camps and the large monster objectives.....you have to concentrate a huge amount of micromanaging to your hero's position, resources, and actions based off all of those factors. Now the other factor...there are NINE other players that are wildcards in all of these variables.

Basically they're both task managment intensive.....one is more distributed...one is more focused. They're both insanely tough to master....just in different ways.

25. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:27 RollinThundr

briktal wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 16:16:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:50:
Yakubs wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:25:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:19:
And also this. Some of the guys I play MWO with have been playing alot of Dota2 lately and I can't for the life of me figure out what is so appealing about running at and away from the enemy team over and over and over in a over glorified tower defense game. It's more proof that dumbing down genres is all the rage these days.

No, it's just proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's kind of amusing actually how ignorant what you wrote is. Your impression of the game's depth is just beyond misguided and laughable.

Also, to Smellfinger who implied that Dota2 is for SC2 rejects -- perhaps you should look into SeleCT who tried to transition to Dota2 only to go back to SC2 with his tail between his legs. They're very different games require very different skillsets.

Knowing what hero counters what hero isn't much depth imo. It's just knowing what beats what in a rock paper scissors type of scenario. Moab's are a bastard child of the RTS Genre without any of the fun involved.

If you enjoy them, hey good on you, personally I'd rather play a full fledged RTS with base building and progression.

But an RTS is just about building the units that are counters to your opponent's units.

Sure but there's alot more involved with actual build orders, tech trees and going different routes on how you build your forces.

Dota is more pick a hero, go try and kill the other team rinse repeat. Really it's one of those to each your own type of deals, obviously the genre is popular, why? I have no idea, maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist when it comes to the genre on the whole.

24. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:16 briktal

And also this. Some of the guys I play MWO with have been playing alot of Dota2 lately and I can't for the life of me figure out what is so appealing about running at and away from the enemy team over and over and over in a over glorified tower defense game. It's more proof that dumbing down genres is all the rage these days.

No, it's just proof that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. It's kind of amusing actually how ignorant what you wrote is. Your impression of the game's depth is just beyond misguided and laughable.

Also, to Smellfinger who implied that Dota2 is for SC2 rejects -- perhaps you should look into SeleCT who tried to transition to Dota2 only to go back to SC2 with his tail between his legs. They're very different games require very different skillsets.

Knowing what hero counters what hero isn't much depth imo. It's just knowing what beats what in a rock paper scissors type of scenario. Moab's are a bastard child of the RTS Genre without any of the fun involved.

If you enjoy them, hey good on you, personally I'd rather play a full fledged RTS with base building and progression.

But an RTS is just about building the units that are counters to your opponent's units.

23. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:13 {PH}88fingers

some of the comments in here are hilarious... people spouting off shit as if they had the so called "truth".

First off disclaimer: I was at the very top of competitive SC/BW for the first 3 years after the games release. Those of us who played war2 on Kali at the very top transitioned our skills into dominating the sc/bw scene. My last professional tournament was the i2e2 tournament where {PH}Expo and I were #1 seed. Our group were the 1st westerners to play professionally in Korea. "Grrrr..." still lives in Korea to this day.

Back then I was 16/17 years old and the game did not feel stressful to me at that time, it was pure joy to play.
So to you guys spouting "dota is for those who don't have the skills to play a standard rts" get off your high horse cause you are full of shit.
At 32 years of age now, after a long days work, SC2 is way too "high impact" for me to enjoy anymore. I played for a while (obviously at a much higher level than most considering my past) but that does not take away from the amount of stress this game can put on you at any level.

I had never played the original dota from war3 (I did play a fair amount of standard war3) and came into this Dota2 game totally new to it. This game is definitely not for everyone but I am having a blast with friends who also are too tired after a days work to withstand the onslaught that is playing rts at a high level.

To each their own, but if you don't like the game, at least come up with better shit to spew

22. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 16:12 Redmask

They are not comparable game types, any comparison is shoehorned at best since they require very different skills from people playing them. I am loathe to make one and give validation to such foolishness but so that you at least comprehend why it is stupid to compare them I will try to explain. On a fundamental level there is nothing advanced about building something to make other units, it is simple memorization. The strategy comes from knowing what units to build, when to build them and how they interact with other units. MOBAs trade off managing a large army for more overhead strategy, team cooperation and the ability to adapt very quickly (twitch). The RTS snobbery is simply not earned as RTS games are not inherently more advanced just because you access more units, both genre types go much deeper than simply what you control.

You may voice a preference for traditional RTS games, there is nothing wrong with that but your comments on MOBA games are unfounded and idiotic, revealing a complete misunderstanding that is likely borne of inexperience or ignorance. I don't even get a sense from your comments that you have even played a MOBA game for longer than an hour, it just reads like another ThunderBlunder.

21. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:50 RollinThundr

20. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:39 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:11:
Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 14:11:
Verno: How do you like cubeworld? I tried registering on their website but it seems the registration system is down at this time. Can anyone purchase/play the game right now?

Yeah the store/site is under heavy DDOS attack from weirdo Minecraft fanboys, even after moving some of it to AWS they've been having problems. Best time to try is early in the AM.

It's really really cool as long as you're going into it with the right expectations. It is not a Minecraft clone, the voxel based engine and some other minor stuff is all they share. If you are into those sorts of games to dig and build stuff on the terrain look elsewhere. It's like a multiplayer game of Zelda with stronger RPG elements and good co-op stuff. It's early alpha and very rough but relatively stable in terms of crashing and whatnot. The classes are pretty cool and well differentiated, there is a basic mission system and the dungeon generator works well. The towns are good, the NPCs and pets already show decent AI and exploration is very rewarding, particularly in the water. They even have a neat little hang glider (although make sure you equip it properly before you jump, doh!) and some other stuff.

It is very cool though, even this early in alpha the game is pretty fun/stable. Just needs music, some mechanics adjustment and more mission/enemy variety. Despite its shortcomings my group has still managed to sink something like 20 hours into it already. If you do manage to get it hit me up on Steam, I've got a server running for friends and family. Strongly recommend you read a few forums threads on Beginner Tips too, mechanics are not explained at all in the alpha, it is totally sink or swim and the game can be very difficult.

Very good info - thanks! That's really unfortunate that they're getting nailed by DDoS attacks as I am looking to buy a copy for myself and 2 more for my kids. I'll hit you up on steam sometime and read the forums in advance.

19. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:25 Yakubs

18. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:19 RollinThundr

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:33:
Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:11:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre.

I don't know what kind of numbers Dota 2 is pulling, but that seems like the general consensus among everyone except the diehards who have been playing this type of game for years. I'm usually able to see the appeal of genres that I don't enjoy, but the MOBA craze totally baffles me. All I can figure is that it appeals to people who like the RTS concept but aren't good enough to play a traditional RTS and feel that 1v1 Starcraft is more stressful than a team-based game like Dota, where they can place blame on other people for their losses.

This

A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre. I cannot think of anything more uninteresting and un-fun than a MOBA in all of gaming. Run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, oh the enemy is down there now! Run down there at the enemy, run away from the enemy, use item that allows you to run at the enemy for a slightly longer time! Run away from the enemy, rinse/repeat.

17. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:12 NewMaxx

NKD wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:42:
... Even though most of the people on my Steam friends list play Dota 2 or some other similar game, they drop it at the first sign of any other game to play. ...

Also, to be quite frank, all my Dota 2 playing friends seem to suck at everything else we play.

Maybe because your friends have ADHD.

16. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 15:11 Verno

Fibrocyte wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 14:11:
Verno: How do you like cubeworld? I tried registering on their website but it seems the registration system is down at this time. Can anyone purchase/play the game right now?

Yeah the store/site is under heavy DDOS attack from weirdo Minecraft fanboys, even after moving some of it to AWS they've been having problems. Best time to try is early in the AM.

It's really really cool as long as you're going into it with the right expectations. It is not a Minecraft clone, the voxel based engine and some other minor stuff is all they share. If you are into those sorts of games to dig and build stuff on the terrain look elsewhere. It's like a multiplayer game of Zelda with stronger RPG elements and good co-op stuff. It's early alpha and very rough but relatively stable in terms of crashing and whatnot. The classes are pretty cool and well differentiated, there is a basic mission system and the dungeon generator works well. The towns are good, the NPCs and pets already show decent AI and exploration is very rewarding, particularly in the water. They even have a neat little hang glider (although make sure you equip it properly before you jump, doh!) and some other stuff.

It is very cool though, even this early in alpha the game is pretty fun/stable. Just needs music, some mechanics adjustment and more mission/enemy variety. Despite its shortcomings my group has still managed to sink something like 20 hours into it already. If you do manage to get it hit me up on Steam, I've got a server running for friends and family. Strongly recommend you read a few forums threads on Beginner Tips too, mechanics are not explained at all in the alpha, it is totally sink or swim and the game can be very difficult.

15. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 14:13 Fibrocyte

NKD wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 12:42:
A snorefest of a game in a snorefest of a genre. I cannot think of anything more uninteresting and un-fun than a MOBA in all of gaming. Run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, run at the enemy, run away from the enemy, oh the enemy is down there now! Run down there at the enemy, run away from the enemy, use item that allows you to run at the enemy for a slightly longer time! Run away from the enemy, rinse/repeat.

Stalemate Simulator 2013

It's kind of weird though. Even though most of the people on my Steam friends list play Dota 2 or some other similar game, they drop it at the first sign of any other game to play. It's like filler or something. I can't really think of a genre that is similar in that way.

Also, to be quite frank, all my Dota 2 playing friends seem to suck at everything else we play.

Dear Frank:

Given that DOTA2 is more challenging to master than most FPS games, I would say you are the weakest link - not your friends.

14. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 14:11 Fibrocyte

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 14:03:
Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 13:43:
Popularity is not indicative of quality or level of enjoyment.

Though your definition of enjoyment may differ from mine. I, for example, dislike having my balls in a vice. But to each their own.

The hyperbole and silliness isn't necessary, if you don't like Dota 2 hey whatever man, fun is subjective. I can see criticizing specific elements of it because no game is perfect and I definitely think Dota 2 has its flaws but it also has plenty to offer as well. The gameplay you described is only a piece of the puzzle, part of the psychological component of baiting and trying to get an opponent to over extend.

I think the bigger issue is that while mobas are enjoyable, where do they go from here? They already have tons of heroes and item combos. The logical extension is more game mechanics and maps but that might affect the learning curve and popularity of them.

As for MOBAs, more maps and game types will sustain them quite well. LoL has 2 maps for the typical game type and then they have ARAM as well as Dominion game types - both are quite fun.

13. Re: Dota 2 Rollout Details Jul 10, 2013, 14:03 Verno

Panickd wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 13:43:
Popularity is not indicative of quality or level of enjoyment.

Though your definition of enjoyment may differ from mine. I, for example, dislike having my balls in a vice. But to each their own.

The hyperbole and silliness isn't necessary, if you don't like Dota 2 hey whatever man, fun is subjective. I can see criticizing specific elements of it because no game is perfect and I definitely think Dota 2 has its flaws but it also has plenty to offer as well. The gameplay you described is only a piece of the puzzle, part of the psychological component of baiting and trying to get an opponent to over extend.

I think the bigger issue is that while mobas are enjoyable, where do they go from here? They already have tons of heroes and item combos. The logical extension is more game mechanics and maps but that might affect the learning curve and popularity of them.

32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo