Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 23:05 Redmask

It wasn't an error, they are just walking back bad PR as usual.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 19:42 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 14:39:
Creston, I hope you got your PS4 launch bundle in, as amazon sayes theys GONE!

There really wasn't a game that I wanted to play on the PS4, so I'll wait for the next load to show up. I prefer to play Watch Dogs on PC.

Creston

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 19:38 Creston

Microsoft hikes prices. Yeah, that's likely not an "error in the beta program." That's just Microsoft continuously fucking over its customers.
Edit : Credit where credit's due, it is indeed an error

The real price hikes will follow later.

People who are still a fan of that company should be locked away, or at least prevented from breeding, for the good of humanity.

Creston

This comment was edited on Jul 10, 2013, 19:49.

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 19:33 NegaDeath

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 19:00:
The first time that headset gets yanked off and thrown across the room, it's going to be expensive...

They could do a cross promotion with adult diapers.

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 19:00 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 18:56:
OMG. CAN YOU IMAGINE PLAYING AMNESIA: DARK DESCENT WITH OCULUS RIFT??!!

Bawling

The first time that headset gets yanked off and thrown across the room, it's going to be expensive...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 18:56 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:14:
For sure they will have to have some demo setups or some amazing return policy in place, so people can safely try it with their own games.
Where do you think that might be? Best Buy or someplace?
SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:14:
Shooters and racing games, flight sims will be awesome, but horror games will be something else.

OMG. CAN YOU IMAGINE PLAYING AMNESIA: DARK DESCENT WITH OCULUS RIFT??!!

Bawling

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 18:44 jdreyer

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:06:
Meanwhile I am getting more and more excited for Oculus Rift.
When I've seen CliffyB raving about it on Twitter I didn't care much for it, especially because CliffyB mentioned it, but many games seem to support it now and will be in the future.
Games like Arma3, Project CARS, Star Citizen, etc.
I think that device is going to be a game changer.

Yeah, I'm saving my pennies. So far it sounds awesome. And it sounds like they're committed to getting it right.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 18:30 Rattlehead

Hey I signed it mainly for laughs. I also asked Microsoft to pay back my student loans. Hey you never know  

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 18:18 Julio

I think Xbox Live should hike prices up even further. If people will pay an extra $100 for an Xflop One over the PS4...might as well bend them over even more.  

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 16:27 Cutter

Prez wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 15:35:
I need to find his email and let him know about a wonderful opportunity I have to buy a bridge I own in Brooklyn.

Oh, that's YOUR bridge? I always thought it was Brooklyn's.

Oh no, it's totally mine. Trust me. You looking to buy? I can provide you a better deal than MS would.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 15:35 Prez

I need to find his email and let him know about a wonderful opportunity I have to buy a bridge I own in Brooklyn.

Oh, that's YOUR bridge? I always thought it was Brooklyn's.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 15:26 PropheT

""A new wave of gaming where you could buy games digitally, then trade, share or sell those digital licenses. Essentially, it was Steam for Xbox. But consumers were uninformed, and railed against it, and it was taken away because Sony took advantage of consumers uncertainty."

More like intelligent gamers were able to see it for what it was, and that the idea that it was a new wave of gaming that was actually good for us was all just BS.

Steam for Xbox would require competitors, and there would be none. End of story, thanks for playing, nothing else to even talk about. The idea of trading, sharing and selling the games didn't even come from Microsoft, it came from the guy who claimed to be a developer that posted the long-winded rant against gamers not falling in love with the idea after Microsoft changed their tune about the DRM a while back.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 14:39 nin

Creston, I hope you got your PS4 launch bundle in, as amazon sayes theys GONE!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 13:53 Cutter

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 09:57:
Literally not a single publisher had commented that they would use or adopt Microsofts system and Microsoft itself refused to talk about it in detail which tells us that the underlyings wouldn't have been too favorable to the consumer. This is like the worlds worst case of stockholm syndrome.

Indeed. It boggles the mind. How can people like that not see the downsides? Are they really that naive to believe MS and the publishers are going to be doing any of that to actually benefit the consumer? I need to fin his email and let him know about a wonderful opportunity I have to buy a bridge I own in Brooklyn.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 12:54 John

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:21:
Regarding OR...

How well does it work if you wear glasses? All the 3D devices I have tried are monster pains in the ass if you already wear glasses.
I heard they have several different eyepieces to accommodate for people with glasses. I wear glasses too so that is something I am curious about, but I am nearsighted so I wonder if I will even need to wear glasses with OR..? I can see objects up to about 6" away clearly w/o glasses. Hmm... Inquisitive

This space is available for rent

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:49 Numinar

OR is going to have trouble going mainstream given how different people react differently and the lack of research into long term use, but it might end up being not much more expensive than Track IR and does something similar so maybe it will survive as a quasi niche-item, like high end video cards or racing wheels.

For some reason I could play non-stop without issue. Demo after demo... the friend who bought it over was shocked as they only survived 2-4 minute bursts while getting used to it. I also didn't get the full impact though. The 3d is flawless, but other than that it was a screen 2mm from your eyes that somehow maintained focus and had annoying borders in the periphery (like snow goggles). I had trouble feeling as immersed as I was expecting.

It was calibrated for my friends head/eye separation and whatnot as well so maybe my experience was not unique. Apparently it works fine with glasses, you just move the lenses further from your face and wack your spectacles in-between. Still does some things better than a monitor though so I will definitely get a 2nd or 3rd gen release once the ergonomics are nailed down and the resolution and head tracking are sorted out.

My wife was sick for an hour after the roller-coaster demo, wouldn't stop reaching out to touch stuff and was visibly freaking out about the height. So I'm kind of jelly. She has though avoided games since the 2600 so separation of the virtual from the real is probably a bit more difficult for her.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:21 Burrito of Peace

Regarding OR...

How well does it work if you wear glasses? All the 3D devices I have tried are monster pains in the ass if you already wear glasses.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:14 SpectralMeat

For sure they will have to have some demo setups or some amazing return policy in place, so people can safely try it with their own games.
It will be interesting not just because of the point of view as you turn your head but also because instead of looking at a monitor now the complete view in front of you will be in game, meaning everything will be life sized for your eyes.
Shooters and racing games, flight sims will be awesome, but horror games will be something else.

There are youtube videos with people playing Team Fortress 2 for example and many other current games that are supported by the Rift.

Steam: SpectralMeat

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:02 Narf2029

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:14:
Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:09:
Oculus Rift looks interesting but its the kind of thing I would never purchase without being able to try out for an hour or two.
I am pretty sure when they finally release them in retail there will be plenty of demo stations setup where you can try it, as well as return policy in place, as I can see that thing can make people sick.

I was about to buy the TrackIR also for Arma3 but I will hold off and see how the OR shapes up to be.
So far what I have seen of it, it looks like it will be awesome

I hope there's some kind of test setup. It sounds neat but 3D and VR stuff have all been migraine factories for me. I'd love Oculus for Star Citizen, but only if a few hours of play doesn't split my head in half and make me eat the device.

Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 10:59 MajorD

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:14:
Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:09:
Oculus Rift looks interesting but its the kind of thing I would never purchase without being able to try out for an hour or two.
I am pretty sure when they finally release them in retail there will be plenty of demo stations setup where you can try it, as well as return policy in place, as I can see that thing can make people sick.

I was about to buy the TrackIR also for Arma3 but I will hold off and see how the OR shapes up to be.
So far what I have seen of it, it looks like it will be awesome

From watching the Oculus Rift video at the front page of their website it looks like when you turn your head, it turns your head/view in the game as well. Thinking about that, it would definitely change/affect how you play with a KB & M, or on a console controller for that matter. It will be interesting.....

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo