Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I was watching a rerun of House and noticed what has to be one of the great dirty lines ever slipped past the censors for prime-time television: "Most people don't orgasm from a needle prick" (no, I'm not making this up). You have to think someone got a raise for that.

R.I.P.: Seth Vidal.

Spicy Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: The Peacekeeper.
Save the Dummy.
Links: Ender's Game author Orson Scott Card issues plea for tolerance of his intolerance of gays.
Malcolm Gladwell On Culture and Airplane Crashes.
Science: Is It Really Possible to Die By Peeing on the Third Rail? An Investigation.
Coal’s high cost in China? 2.5 billion years of life expectancy.
Images: The 35 Greatest Animal Photobombers Of All Time. Thanks nin.
Boozy Snapshots of American Life Under Prohibition. Thanks nin.
Media: The Ring-Style Wakeup Prank.
Dog Goldberg Machine.

View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 15:04 BobBob

RIP Mr. Vidal. I often wonder if my days are numbered. I ride my bicycle a lot.  
http://tinyurl.com/WeatherImmunity Whew
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 14:11 Orogogus

Quick poking around Google suggests it's not correct.

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2006_11.htm
Nov. 2006, says he's "no longer a Democratic operative (or even a registered Democrat), nor a Republican..."

http://www.dansimmons.com/news/message/2012_10.htm
Oct. 2012 post, strongly anti-Clinton, Gore, Kerry and Obama.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 10:50 Mr. Tact

RollinThundr wrote on Jul 11, 2013, 10:18:
Yet he's a registered democrat go figure.
Yeah, there are no crazy, hypocritical republicans. Rolleyes

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 10:18 RollinThundr

Verno wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:26:
Well, as I said a certain line has to be crossed. I can ignore a lot of personal foibles and political views that don't agree with mine. Goodkind crossed it by putting them into his books. Card went way way way over that line a long time ago.

It's unfortunately starting to infect his actual work if some of his short stories and other books like Flashback are any indicator. I just hope he got it off his chest with one book and doesn't ruin The Abominable with silly social-political claptrap.

He has some of the most extreme right views I've ever encountered (and I lean pretty far to the right) as well as some unapologetic racist views. Anyways I don't want to ruin his stuff for anyone because the man is an amazing writer, just giving context. He has written one of the best sci-fi books of all time and is a gifted author so I can forgive a lot. With Card he kinda had Enders Game and I haven't really enjoyed anything else he has done since plus he's a crazy hypocrite.

Yet he's a registered democrat go figure.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 11, 2013, 02:50 xXBatmanXx

Right, but in the past, they offered steam codes for those...

Ah, that would have been nice....

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 20:30 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 20:24:
nin wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 18:39:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 18:09:
OMG INSANE VALUE!!!!!

Via Amazon.com 48-Game Mega Arcade Pack for $4.99!!!!

Only thing it doesn't include is pack 5 from Steam, then you can access everything via Steam! So either pay another $7.50 on Steam or what for a sale, which last it was $3.75 in Jan According to Steam Prices

I grabbed that (earlier), and as far as I can tell none of them are steam...

You have to have a pack from Steam, which is why I said grab pack 5, it then installs all the games to the same folder and are accessible (since it isn't included in this value) via Steam. It is an emulator.

Right, but in the past, they offered steam codes for those...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 20:27 xXBatmanXx

jdreyer wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 19:44:
The Half Elf wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 09:58:
Gay or not, the idea of being groped and poked by a 60 something, short, balding doctor, isn't my idea of a good time. Unless there is money and/or drugs involved

I think the solution is to find a hotter doctor?

A few years ago I went to see the eye doctor, not my normal one. One of my tear ducts was blocked. The dude could not shut up about how the "sphincter was all plugged up" and how we had to "lubricate the sphincter to unplug it" etc. etc. For an hour. I got a chuckle out of it, but I wondered how the nurses dealt with that on a daily basis.

I have found finding a younger doctor helps with some of the more trivial issues. Older doctors are usually stuck in their ways and don't open up to "new medicine" as easily or recommend it like a younger doctor would. Our preggo doc is actually an Indian (dot) female and I have been very impressed with her knowledge. It also helps she has had 5 of her own. My regular doc is a 30 something female who is super knowledgeable and leans more towards no meds/alternative methods as I do. our conversations are rather enjoyable and I don't feel like she is my granddad talking down to me. And she is fun to look at.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

32. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 20:26 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 10:34:
Crazy Mormon gaybasher or not, Ender's game is a great novel. One of the finest Sci-Fi novels ever written and I cant wait to see the movie. Especially considering that Card has spent the last twenty years trying to get movie off the ground that would keep the story more or less intact. He turned down nunmerous offers over the years for a simple moneygrab. Also Harrison Ford & Ben Kingsley in a Sci-Fi movie. Fuck yeah!

Orson has said some pretty hateful things over the years. That being said, a movie is a massive collaborative project involving hundreds or thousands of people, the vast majority of whom do not share his views. It seems unfair to punish those people's hard work because the story's author is a bigot. And the story itself does not contain any homophobia that I can recall, although it has been a couple of decades since I last read it. I'd say see it if it interests you, and if you feel guilty, donate to the It Gets Better project.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 20:25 xXBatmanXx

PHJF wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 19:24:
Amazon's digital content service is about as transparent as it gets.

The forums for each game and gaming forums in general are pretty good, I find all of my answers there. And if it isn't, posting there will quickly get you an answer.

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 20:24 xXBatmanXx

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 18:39:
OMG INSANE VALUE!!!!!

Only thing it doesn't include is pack 5 from Steam, then you can access everything via Steam! So either pay another $7.50 on Steam or what for a sale, which last it was $3.75 in Jan According to Steam Prices

You have to have a pack from Steam, which is why I said grab pack 5, it then installs all the games to the same folder and are accessible (since it isn't included in this value) via Steam. It is an emulator.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 19:44 jdreyer

Gay or not, the idea of being groped and poked by a 60 something, short, balding doctor, isn't my idea of a good time. Unless there is money and/or drugs involved

I think the solution is to find a hotter doctor?

A few years ago I went to see the eye doctor, not my normal one. One of my tear ducts was blocked. The dude could not shut up about how the "sphincter was all plugged up" and how we had to "lubricate the sphincter to unplug it" etc. etc. For an hour. I got a chuckle out of it, but I wondered how the nurses dealt with that on a daily basis.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 19:39 jdreyer

what has to be one of the great dirty lines ever slipped past the censors for prime-time television: "Most people don't orgasm from a needle prick"

There have been some classics over the years. Ones I remember:

30 years ago, Hill Street Blues had this conversation:
Officer, arresting a prostitute: "Name?"
Prostitute: "Lotta."
Officer: "Last name?"
Prostitute "Gue. Lotta Gue."

Also, in the Avengers, a PG-13 movie, had the villian call Black Widow a "mewling quim."

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 19:24 PHJF

Amazon's digital content service is about as transparent as it gets.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 18:39 nin

OMG INSANE VALUE!!!!!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 18:09 xXBatmanXx

OMG INSANE VALUE!!!!!

24. RIP Seth Vidal Jul 10, 2013, 17:20 MxxCon

Wow Blue, I'm surprised you posted this story and that you are aware of him.
Seth had a gigantic impact on the open-source community. He will be greatly missed. Cry

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 16:38 Cutter

Hey Blue, I searched but didn't see anything. Have you posted about Realms of Arkania-Blade of Destiny? Cool beans, I loved the old Arkania games. Didn't even know this was in the works.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 14:35 Cutter

Grats Bats! If it's a boy name him Bruce Wayne, if it's a girl name her Barbara Gordon. Toff

And Helf, I wouldn't worry about it. I drop 10lbs a month in July and August particularly working the patio. That's the upside of doing physical work, the pounds come off fast. Have you been hydrating regularly and getting enough salt? All that sweating takes it out of you and simple dehydration can lead to the symptoms you describe. I'm constantly pounding water on the job.

Fuck Card.

Love those both those image links today. Long past due to end the asinine War on Drugs.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 11:51 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:36:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 11:28:
Also was at the doc this AM - for my wife. Baby and wife are coming along nicely. Got the stereophonic sounding baby heart sound today. Was very cool.

Congrats!

Congrats, Bats (and Mrs Bats!)

Creston

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 10, 2013, 11:49 Creston

Went in yesterday to the doctors office due to some weight loss and fatigue issues, only to realize that in less then 2 months I've lost 30lbs (I don't have a scale at home, and hey I'm looking good!). So had a EKG, and blood work done and having a full physical today.

30 lbs? Damn... Hope you're okay, man, but if you figure out what you got, please let me know!

I GAINED 30 lbs due to my stupid sleep apnea, and they're a damn bitch to shed...

Creston

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo