Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes

The Team Fortress 2 website outlines plans for balance changes to the weapons in Valve's teamplay shooter in an upcoming patch. Here's a bit:

One of our goals as we continue to work on Team Fortress is to support a wide variety of play styles. In order to achieve that, it's been vitally important that the weapons in the game are fun not just to use, but to play against. We want players on both the winning and losing sides of an engagement to feel like their skill is being rewarded. In other words, when someone beats you, it's because they played better, either through pure combat skill, or through their strategic choices in selecting their loadout. Consequently, we are always reviewing both real world player sessions and player feedback to hunt down items that aren't meeting this standard.

We'll be tweaking the stats on dozens of weapons in this next update—but we thought you might find it interesting if we walked you through the decision-making process on a select few.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 11, 2013, 21:31 Sepharo

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 03:02:
ViRGE wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 00:07:
Removing set bonuses is a start. Now if they'd just remove everything else other than the stock weapons and the game would be restored to its proper glory.

*Ding.

Game has evolved into, He who has the most money or time played in game - wins.

Not true.
I was going to say something about how you don't play it but when I went to go check I see that you are currently playing it.
When you return, please post your mea culpa or optionally admit how bad you are

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 15:42 eRe4s3r

Suckage wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 03:44:
I really wish they'd at the very least introduce a "classic" mode with only stock weapons...

THIS !

13. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:39 bhcompy

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
I don't play TF2 anymore (item drops and the crafting system ruined the game for me) but I'm glad it's still going strong since it's the only arcade shooter around. Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.

There was a Painkiller standalone expansion released last year

12. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 08:08 ViRGE

Smellfinger wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 07:31:
Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.
Aye.

11. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 07:31 Smellfinger

I don't play TF2 anymore (item drops and the crafting system ruined the game for me) but I'm glad it's still going strong since it's the only arcade shooter around. Shame that we'll probably never be able to play another one without microtransactions or an MMO-style item grind.  

10. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 07:02 InBlack

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 10, 2013, 03:02:
Removing set bonuses is a start. Now if they'd just remove everything else other than the stock weapons and the game would be restored to its proper glory.

*Ding.

Actually not really. I install the game every once in a while and dont really bother with all the fancy items, hats and whatnot. Stock weapons work really well, and I still kick ass most of the time. Well I do use the quake rocket launcher with the Soldier, but thats like one of the easiest items that you can craft/make in the game.

I have a nifty blue line!

9. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 03:44 Suckage

I really wish they'd at the very least introduce a "classic" mode with only stock weapons...  

8. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 03:02 xXBatmanXx

*Ding.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

7. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 10, 2013, 00:07 ViRGE

6. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 23:00 Overon

Valve makes all their money from Steam and TF2, let's invest that into Half Life 3!  

5. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 21:44 dubfanatic

After going back to TF2 from a hiatus one of the first things I noticed was they made it nearly impossible to kill a Dead Ringer cloaked spy. It seemed like such a massive buff to an already powerful weapon it made me wonder if they even playtested it. Good to see they came to their senses (they usually do, but it takes orders of Valve time...)

4. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 21:19 Parias

PHJF wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 20:48:

Hats.

Haha, well played.

3. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 20:48 PHJF

One of our goals as we continue to work on Team Fortress is to support a wide variety of hat styles. In order to achieve that, it's been vitally important that the hats in the game are fun not just to use, but to see other people use. We want players on both the winning and losing sides of an engagement to feel like their hat's style is being rewarded. In other words, when someone beats you, it's because they looked better, either through pure hat unboxing skill, or through their strategic choices in selecting their hats. Consequently, we are always reviewing both real world player sessions and player feedback to hunt down hats that aren't meeting this standard.

We'll be tweaking the stats on dozens of hats in this next update—but we thought you might find it interesting if we walked you through the decision-making process on a select few.

Hats.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

2. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 20:43 Kosumo

Thank Allah and Jebus and the darkside of the moon that we have deger to save use all!

He saved valve too!

1. Re: Team Fortress 2 Balance Changes Jul 9, 2013, 20:37 deqer

Looks like that rant I did about "this game is so balanced, it's actually handicapped" (referring mostly to weapons) is now starting to get around, and has finally hit the heads at Valve HQ.

Never thought it would make it to Valve HQ, but I guess they noticed that I stopped playing TF2 long ago and they probably wondering "why would this guy stop playing TF2 after having played ### hours of it so far?"

---

Edit:
1) I don't care how much overhealed you may or may not have been. When it takes 3 rockets to kill you, there's a problem.

2) And when it takes 2 rockets to kill a twig Spy in a suit, then there's a problem.

That's only 2 of the 100 examples I provided.

Handicapped mechanics do not provide rewarding experience for skillful players.

And to those that say "go play on competition servers"--I sigh at you. The game is meant to be fun (in this manner) in a PUG environment; not a competition environment.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2013, 20:43.

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo