Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 11:38 RollinThundr

Redmask wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 23:27:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 22:58:
Modern visuals and game quality are not mutually exclusive. The NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube had both. Weak hardware constricts game development in more ways than visuals. There is nothing special about Nintendo that gives them a free pass to take the lazy route. Judging by the anemic WiiU sales the market seems to agree.

You can have modern visuals with the Wii U, there are already several examples of that and there is no evidence to support what you're claiming, if anything the success of the Wii points to the opposite. The Wii U is a victim of bad marketing a poorly realized controller and too similar naming more than it is of 'anemic' hardware. The hardware is perfectly competent for building HD games of the kind that Nintendo specializes in and that's what people buy Nintendo systems for. Third party matters but most will scale down to meet a successful platform, the Wii U simply needs more first party software and a base, then you will see third parties come back.

When your dev tools are complete shit, and your hardware specs are 6 years outdated, 3rd party publishers tend to want nothing to do with you. Nintendo did this to themselves. Now obviously I can only speak for myself but to me the GC sucked, the Wii sucked and the WiiU sucks as well, relying on gimmick controllers and at this point tired franchises is not the way to lead the pack.

They may have far more money than Sega did after all their hardware mistakes, but fact of the matter is the WiiU is disappointing in sales and quality titles that aren't Nintendo titles. That may be fine for Big N fanboys but to the rest of us it's pretty much failboat.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 10, 2013, 10:14 John

wtf_man wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 18:11:
Ray Marden wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 18:01:
I was even hoping to flip the X180 to help pay for the PS4, but the market interest is generally lacking at the moment.

You could always flip your "day-one PS4" to pay for your Xboner and several games.

/snicker
Yeah, it looks like there may be plenty of new Xboxs around this year with the lack of interest!

This space is available for rent

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 23:27 Redmask

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 22:58:
Modern visuals and game quality are not mutually exclusive. The NES, SNES, N64 and Gamecube had both. Weak hardware constricts game development in more ways than visuals. There is nothing special about Nintendo that gives them a free pass to take the lazy route. Judging by the anemic WiiU sales the market seems to agree.

You can have modern visuals with the Wii U, there are already several examples of that and there is no evidence to support what you're claiming, if anything the success of the Wii points to the opposite. The Wii U is a victim of bad marketing a poorly realized controller and too similar naming more than it is of 'anemic' hardware. The hardware is perfectly competent for building HD games of the kind that Nintendo specializes in and that's what people buy Nintendo systems for. Third party matters but most will scale down to meet a successful platform, the Wii U simply needs more first party software and a base, then you will see third parties come back.

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 22:58 NegaDeath

Redmask wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 20:07:
They can make good looking games without next gen hardware, look at what they got out of this generation. The quality of the game is what matters, if you want visual stimulation without any depth then go play Battlefield or something. Nintendo's games are some of the best looking around in terms of visual appeal and aesthetics despite being technically inferior to other game engines. That's what people buy Nintendo systems for, Nintendo games. They don't buy them for Mass Effect 3, that's just a possible bonus.

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 20:07 Redmask

They can make good looking games without next gen hardware, look at what they got out of this generation. The quality of the game is what matters, if you want visual stimulation without any depth then go play Battlefield or something. Nintendo's games are some of the best looking around in terms of visual appeal and aesthetics despite being technically inferior to other game engines. That's what people buy Nintendo systems for, Nintendo games. They don't buy them for Mass Effect 3, that's just a possible bonus.  

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 19:59 NegaDeath

Tom wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 18:14:
Not sure why everyone is always saying the Wii U is underpowered. ZombiU looks good and plays smooth at 1080p. I tried the demo and it was reasonably fun and innovative, just not my type of game unfortunately.

It's underpowered because it's launching with specs far too close to the current gen consoles despite having 5-6 years of tech improvements to take advantage of. It will not be able to handle ports of the new consoles games without drastic modification. Its a repeat of the Wii situation.

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 18:14 Tom

Not sure why everyone is always saying the Wii U is underpowered. ZombiU looks good and plays smooth at 1080p. I tried the demo and it was reasonably fun and innovative, just not my type of game unfortunately.

I think the Wii U hardware is actually pretty solid and innovative. They're just totally missing the software and have been for far too long. Once that changes they'll probably be ok, even if they have to go it alone. Too bad they won't give up on the region locking though, that totally sucks.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 18:11 wtf_man

Ray Marden wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 18:01:
I was even hoping to flip the X180 to help pay for the PS4, but the market interest is generally lacking at the moment.

You could always flip your "day-one PS4" to pay for your Xboner and several games.

/snicker

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 18:01 Ray Marden

If the Wii U is the best Nintendo can come up with, it may as well give up and go software only.

I just find the system underwhelming - it is underpowered, has few interesting games, still takes a simple approach to gaming/media consumptions, and is too tablet-focused.

Otherwise, it should drastically cut the price and start pumping out great games - including new IPs - as fast as it can.

Meanwhile, I have both the X180 and PS4 on preorder, but I am thinking that I will only keep the PS4. It's a cheaper, likely more powerful device that focuses on gaming. I was even hoping to flip the X180 to help pay for the PS4, but the market interest is generally lacking at the moment.
Sadly, as a PC gamer, I see nothing interesting to play on either one.
Totally experiencing problems of the first world,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 17:29 Julio

I don't see Nintendo launching Wii U2 anytime soon. Really they need compelling content to sell hardware. And all I see is third party companies abandoning Wii U.

Ramp up the first party development and they'll sell more consoles.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 17:09 jdreyer

• NegaDeath wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 15:50:
    jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 14:31:
    I really don't see how the Wii U recovers from this. Nintendo needs to come out with new hardware ASAP (WITH proper dev tools) and a cloud/social solution to allow players to more easily do multiplayer and download games and content. At this point they should go with PC hardware. Then they can have their first party Nintendo exclusives, AND port over 3rd party titles with ease.

Not happening, we have precedent on how rapid hardware releases kills your brand with the 32X/Saturn debacle. Compelling software combined with a price cut is the only way out, and that won't be until next year. I think we can all agree it won't have another 8 year life cycle though.

Normally, I'd agree, but with no one making games for the platform at all, there isn't any point in waiting, IMO. Even if they started today, they wouldn't be able to bring new hardware to market until Xmas 2014 anyway.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 16:10 MindStalker3

It wouldn't be horribly expensive for them to offer to replace all current WiiU's. Consumer keeps their tablet (which will stay the same specs) controllers, cords, etc. Nintendo offers free upgrades for all purchases via some recall system. Its certainly doable.  

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 16:09 Cutter

So instead of an RROD now 180 users will hear...

HAL: I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 15:50 NegaDeath

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 14:31:
    I really don't see how the Wii U recovers from this. Nintendo needs to come out with new hardware ASAP (WITH proper dev tools) and a cloud/social solution to allow players to more easily do multiplayer and download games and content. At this point they should go with PC hardware. Then they can have their first party Nintendo exclusives, AND port over 3rd party titles with ease.

Not happening, we have precedent on how rapid hardware releases kills your brand with the 32X/Saturn debacle. Compelling software combined with a price cut is the only way out, and that won't be until next year. I think we can all agree it won't have another 8 year life cycle though.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 14:59 Hellbinder

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 14:43:
    Pacific Rim Game Trailer.

2005 called and wants its graphics back.

I was all ready to flame you for being a lame graphics whore... but then I watched the trailer...

yeah.. im pretty sure 2005 is holding on line 1...

The Whales name is Bob.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 14:43 jdreyer

Pacific Rim Game Trailer.

2005 called and wants its graphics back.

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 14:31 jdreyer

robdot wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 10:59:
    Zombie u suffered from some completely unfair and unethical reviews. Many reviewers simply gave out wrong information and based review numbers on this bad information. Most simply didnt understand how to play it at all. Common complaints by these idiots were that you had to go into the bag to heal, or to reload, neither of which is true. They also didnt understand how melee worked. There was a push function, which most reviewers didnt seem to even be aware of, or how it worked in conjunction with the melee. All the other complaints i saw about this game were completely invalid.Its a very cool game and anyone who hasnt tried it...should.

I've heard that it's good. The GWJ guys raved about it, but it's no franchise to hang a console on. Looking at the top Wii U games, is there anything there that's compelling enough to plunk down for an underpowered console? Especially with the PC-like PS4 and Xbone right around the corner?

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 13:42 Verno

John wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 13:18:
    Well if they would get rid of the mandatory Kinect and drop the price by $100 they might do OK. As of now I have no interest in it even though I used my X360 more than my PS3.

They would need to do a lot to get my money:

- More value for XBL, more betas, freebies etc drop the paywall for apps its fucking retarded on a $500 system
    - Drop Kinect, it is an optional accessory, nothing in games or the system justifies its requirement. It sold ok as an accessory and in select bundles, just do that again.
    - Stop with the fucking ads everywhere, when you first login and one icon is yours and the rests are ads in some form or another there is a problem.
    - Provide more varied, meaningful first party studio content over a long period of time instead of Halo/Forza/Gears/DLC. They spent something like 2+ billion on the Xbox One so far but still haven't made many permanent investments into first party studios.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
    Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 13:20 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 13:08:
    Beamer wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:46:
    Anecdotal Gamestop evidence isn't great - weren't they somewhat surpressing XBOne preorders?

It was never quite confirmed that that was actually happening, but in any case, I would imagine that stopped when MS went full 180 on their DRM horseshit.

Creston

Fair enough.

-------------
    Music for the discerning:
    http://www.deathwishinc.com
    http://www.hydrahead.com
    http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 9, 2013, 13:18 John

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 12:40:
    nin wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 11:17:
    I have to wonder if MS will do a last minute price cut to $399. Eating an extra $100 on the console would be painful, but no more so than the competition running away with the show...

That would be the ultimate crow sandwich for them to eat. After 8+ months of "We think we deliver enough value to justify 500 bucks" for them to then have to lower it would be the height of comedy.
    Well if they would get rid of the mandatory Kinect and drop the price by $100 they might do OK. As of now I have no interest in it even though I used my X360 more than my PS3.

This space is available for rent

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo