Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC

PC Gamer has word from the Nerdist Podcast where Gearbox Software president Randy Pitchford mentions they are "building an original IP for the next generation that weíll announce sometime later." He also dispels the notion that there will be no more DLC for Borderlands 2 with the season pass fulfilled. Au contraire, says. Well, he didn't say exactly that, he said this:

"Everyone has this expectation that those would be the four DLCs and then thatís it," Pitchford said. "Weíre going to do more. Weíre going to do some other things. We donít have details yet about it exactly."

"Weíve got more stuff in the hopper that weíre planning and that weíre getting pretty excited about. So if you are a Borderlands fan, you donít have to be afraid that thatís the end of it."

View
29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

29. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 12:54 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 05:17:
Is the seasons pass worth it? I just started playing Borderlands 2 and not sure if I should get it, even though the seasons pass is on sale right now and im thinking about it.

Tiny Tina and the Ultimate Vault Hunter pack are worth it, and that's 15 bucks of value. So if you can get the season pass for less than 15, go for it.

I personally actually quite enjoyed the Torgue one. The hammerlock one is pure, utter garbage and the pirate one is so-so. If you can get the season pass for < $15, I think you'll get value out of it.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

28. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:45 Verno

I thought FO2 was a good game in its own right but I did prefer FO1

I do agree with you about the comment of BL1 being a bit more of a tight and consistent experience, although it did fall off in later portions of the game where they were rushed. That said BL2 makes a ton of great improvements to minor things in user interface and quality of life. Also you kill more than skags which is nice

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

27. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:41 Mad Max RW

InBlack wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 10:30:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 10:20:
BL2 is a functionally better and more polished game. However, there was way more care put into the original game's design. Levels are detailed and consistent. The second playthrough is challenging and the majority of the DLC was great. For the sequel the DLC is mostly forgettable crap, the environments are big and under-utilized, and later playthroughs are simply not challenging. Making enemies into bullet sponges quickly loses the fun factor. Borderlands 2 seemed to follow the kitchen sink philosophy of design. It has everything and none of it is particularly great. In that way it reminds me of the distinctions between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. The first is a tighter, more consistent experience. The second is a huge monster of a game you can easily get bored and quit halfway through.

Please dont tell me you got bored and quit halfway through one of the best if not THE best RPGs ever made. Im sorry but I respectfully disagree, Fallout2 is much better than Fallout1 any way you look at it.

I got through BL2's first and second playthrough online and maxed out my Zero character in casual random games. I also completed all the DLC at least once. BL1 I played dozens of times.

Fallout 1 vs. Fallout 2 is a debate that's been going on for more than a decade. I can tear apart your notion 2 is better and explain in detail so many examples as to why such as the horrible mandatory Temple of Trials tutorial, the over-reliance of slapstick humor and pop culture references, the stupid story, and the painfully tedious Enclave oil rig ending. Every time I replay Fallout 1 I finish it. Every time I try to replay Fallout 2 I quit shortly after Vault City and the NCR because the quests are terrible and you have little to no control over the pacing of the game. Fallout 1 you can play how you want 100% of the time. But this is so far off the topic.

26. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:30 InBlack

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 10:20:
BL2 is a functionally better and more polished game. However, there was way more care put into the original game's design. Levels are detailed and consistent. The second playthrough is challenging and the majority of the DLC was great. For the sequel the DLC is mostly forgettable crap, the environments are big and under-utilized, and later playthroughs are simply not challenging. Making enemies into bullet sponges quickly loses the fun factor. Borderlands 2 seemed to follow the kitchen sink philosophy of design. It has everything and none of it is particularly great. In that way it reminds me of the distinctions between Fallout 1 and Fallout 2. The first is a tighter, more consistent experience. The second is a huge monster of a game you can easily get bored and quit halfway through.

Please dont tell me you got bored and quit halfway through one of the best if not THE best RPGs ever made. Im sorry but I respectfully disagree, Fallout2 is much better than Fallout1 any way you look at it.

I have a nifty blue line!

25. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:20 Mad Max RW

24. removed Jul 9, 2013, 10:19 Darks

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 9, 2013, 19:03.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

23. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:07 Verno

You can use the "what game doesn't" argument for almost every criticism of any game ever, it's kind of silly. I thought enemy variety was at least improved over Borderlands 1 but it still felt like there wasn't much effort to enemy abilities or boss AI. Personally I was more annoyed with the RPG mechanics being so threadbare to the point of wondering why they existed at all.

I think I would have enjoyed more of a straight up, faster paced shooter than the weird hybrid affair they offer isn't much of an RPG or a shooter. That's just my opinion though, I know Borderlands is a popular franchise so obviously a lot of people disagree with me and I'm quite willing to accept I'm in the minority, people don't need to get all mad or whatever

I think I would pick up BL3 if it was a bit deeper mechanically and had one large world with a bit more persistence and interactivity instead of small subzones. An 8-10 player game with some more quest variety and improved mechanics would make for a very interesting game. Maybe with the next gen consoles not hamstringing development they can get there!

22. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 10:00 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 09:49:
He Enemies are boring and overused

What game doesn't?

I feel the DLC was worth it easily if you got it on a good sale. It's up to how you want to play, you won't get to max level on one play through the original game. So you can run that over until you max or you can play other content, which may not be as good as the main story but it isn't like a complete fall off, it' still plays and sounds very similar all the way through.

21. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 09:49 PHJF

He is saying the combat needs depth because it has almost none. Enemies are boring and overused and the RPG character elements, much like in BL1, are woefully underdeveloped.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 09:45 Verno

Darks wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 09:01:
Maybe you should just stop playing games in general. What game isnít repetitive and grindy these days? And just how would you change the combat system dude? Itís a shooter!!

I'll do that when you stop shitposting I found the repetition too much and I've written numerous posts on BL improvements in the past. Specifically more variety in skills, more meaningful separation of skills and classes, less schlocky classes that feel like mishmashes of existing ones and so on. I would like to see some changes made to damage calcs as well, these games feel like an all or nothing affair where you're either glancing off everything or downed in 1-2 shots. They aren't making a pure shooter, treating it like one is silly.

I disagree, but I've also only ever played both games in co-op mode with the difficulty cranked up, where all the different abilities and customization options complement each other nicely. I think if I played this strictly as a singleplayer title then I could see how it might get a bit repetitive, but the game absolutely flies in co-op mode.

To each his own but for the record I actually played completely in MP with RL friends, in SP these games are just tedious.

19. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 09:35 Drazula

I've enjoyed Borderlands 2. Playing through it with different characters gives a very different feel each time.  

18. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 09:32 Parias

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 08:50:
I think BL2 was really what the first game should have been but it was still far from what I'd consider a great game. The game in general needs more depth to its combat systems, it's too damned repetitive and grindy. So many reskinned abilities and other nonsense when they have huge variety in other areas is really confusing too.

I disagree, but I've also only ever played both games in co-op mode with the difficulty cranked up, where all the different abilities and customization options complement each other nicely. I think if I played this strictly as a singleplayer title then I could see how it might get a bit repetitive, but the game absolutely flies in co-op mode.

17. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 09:01 Darks

Verno wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 08:50:
Is the seasons pass worth it? I just started playing Borderlands 2 and not sure if I should get it, even though the seasons pass is on sale right now and im thinking about it.

I bought the seasons pass and really regret it but I haven't played the last DLC yet which is supposed to be decent.

I think BL2 was really what the first game should have been but it was still far from what I'd consider a great game. The game in general needs more depth to its combat systems, it's too damned repetitive and grindy. So many reskinned abilities and other nonsense when they have huge variety in other areas is really confusing too. It'll be interesting to see how BL3 fares with the current gen consoles on their way out, maybe we won't need the obnoxious zone design.

Maybe you should just stop playing games in general. What game isnít repetitive and grindy these days? And just how would you change the combat system dude? Itís a shooter!!

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

16. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 08:50 Verno

I bought the seasons pass and really regret it but I haven't played the last DLC yet which is supposed to be decent.

I think BL2 was really what the first game should have been but it was still far from what I'd consider a great game. The game in general needs more depth to its combat systems, it's too damned repetitive and grindy. So many reskinned abilities and other nonsense when they have huge variety in other areas is really confusing too. It'll be interesting to see how BL3 fares with the current gen consoles on their way out, maybe we won't need the obnoxious zone design.

This comment was edited on Jul 9, 2013, 08:57.

15. removed Jul 9, 2013, 07:05 handes

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jul 9, 2013, 07:49.

14. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 06:56 MoreLuckThanSkill

My opinion: No. Borderlands 2 is inferior to Borderlands 1, and the 'end game' mechanics of BL2 are downright horrible. Weapon drops are still 50,000 crap weapons to 1 good weapon, the grinding is far worse, BL2 is just full of design mistakes and bad design decisions. I got bored of BL2 far faster than BL1.

Opinions may differ, of course, but there are plenty of other shooters out there that are more entertaining. Speaking of treadmill FPS/ARPG hybrids, has anyone actually tried the Defiance game? Any good? Crap?

13. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 06:13 InBlack

From what Ive seen of it the game is pretty good. If you like that kind of thing (FPS/ARPG mashup). Sort of like Hellgate london but with none of that MMO fail. Im waiting for the GOTY edition with all the DLC, but since they keep on pushing DLC that might never happen. So be it, I can live without BL2 and Im not keen on supporting a company that ruined one of my favorite franchises.

I have a nifty blue line!

12. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 05:17 Fantaz

11. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 02:57 Beamer

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 23:07:
If the DLCs are Tiny Tina quality, then yes, take my money. The other one's developed by whatever company developed the first 3, then no. Pirate's booty, torque and Hammerlock DLCs were just awful.

Oh, c'mon, Torgue wasn't awful, it was merely kinda bad.
The others, yeah, awful.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Gearbox Teases New IP; More Borderlands 2 DLC Jul 9, 2013, 01:41 Creston

nin wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 21:11:
Where's Creston?

Hey, I was just repeating what Gearbox themselves had said in an interview. Not my fault they didn't know what was going on either.

Anyway, after Tiny Tina's Keep I think I've had it. Krieg's reasonably cool to play with, but I've pretty much had my fill. I've gone through the main storyline 7 or 8 times now, and ugh.

Creston

29 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo