Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen Economy Trailer

A new trailer from Star Citizen is a guide to the economy in the upcoming space simulation. The clip features some gameplay footage as Chris Roberts discusses how various elements interact dynamically in the game's pursuit of a true supply and demand-based system. He gives the example of some supplies that would be used to create missiles being hijacked will reduce missile production in a local area, driving up prices, adding that the missiles expended in stealing or destroying those supplies will factor into the equation as well. Thanks VG247.

View
48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

8. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 13:28 Gnolt

I really want to add that some people are going overboard with the ship "buying" stuff -- a month after launch and we will be hearing complaints of how little all that meant once you get a ways into the game - most likely the best actual ships and upgrades cannot be insured AND cannot be docked (corvettes i believe are the largest ship that can dock) so your guild must have 24 hour coverage to protect your high value assets that you have to leave "parked" in space -- also if you have the free hanger perk well it is only on the starter planet so you will have to fly back there to avoid being charged

bottom line if you want to back the game fine - it helps CIG avoid getting "financial bakers with their own agendas" - but please lets try and get more people who are interested in playing such a game into a base package

Reminder: when playing a sandbox game, you need to look in the mirror and meet the person most responsible for your enjoyment of the game

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2013, 13:37.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

7. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 13:23 saluk

Rad! Taking many ideas straight from my head.  

6. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 12:52 Gnolt

huge guild hording? -- npc will comprise 85%~90% of the population - so if your large guild wants to take over antimatter production well your guild is 10% of the playerbase so that makes you 1% vs 85%~90% -- good luck with that -- not to mention we don't fully know the impact of instancing

where does it come from? -- we don't have all the info on sectors yet -- look here for what we have accumulated RSI Forums - League of Stellar Cartographers post I believe antimatter is in Kellog and in one of the Xi'an (green) sectors

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2013, 13:15.

5. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 11:05 PunkiBastardo

well I didn't bother to fully read it but that video comes with a lengthy explanation about the economy.
Maybe you'll find your answers there.

4. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 10:55 Overon

It sounds awesome but I don't have much confidence that they can delivery all the things they promise.  

3. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 10:07 Efflixi

I backed this on kickstarter and put a lot of money into it. A real player driven economy was promised for Freelancer but dropped due to time. If this is how it will REALLY work, then this will be amazing. I foresee merchant guilds hiring mercs to protects their fleets of traders (i'll be into the trading business i think!), pirates attacking the trade ships, the mercs fighting them off. God, it sounds glorious.

I wonder though, where does the *actual* raw materials come from? Is there asteroid/planet mining? Can you mine a small asteroid completely dry and eventually end up with a zone where there are no raw materials left? While i love the idea of a dynamic economy, unless the materials are literally limited in supply somehow, it won't matter in the end.

You'll end up with huge guilds hording materials and divvying them out to the highest bidder and no one can do anything about it. Does anyone know if this addressed anywhere? He says in the trailer (and i realize it's most likely just an example) that it takes 3 tons of this, 1 ton of that, and 1 ton of another thing to make these items. Where does that actually originate from?

2. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 10:06 LgFriess

I love the sound of this. It seems like a game-world (universe?!) I can disappear in for many, many hours. I just keep getting the feeling that it seems too much to pull off. Looking forward to giving carving out my own little corner of the universe though.  

1. Re: Star Citizen Economy Trailer Jul 7, 2013, 09:00 Julio

Pay-to-missile!  

48 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo