Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Top 10

Here's Valve's freshly updated list of the 10 bestselling games on Steam for the past week:

1. FINAL FANTASY VII
  2. Rogue Legacy
  3. Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
  4. Left 4 Dead 2
  5. Company of Heroes 2
  6. Civilization V: Brave New World
  7. Baldur's Gate
  8. The Walking Dead: 400 Days
  9. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition
  10. Dust: An Elysian Tale

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

46. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 9, 2013, 20:22 Quinn

Using the ignore function is, imo, a shortsighted and ignorant thing to do. I hear the pro-ignorers moan about troll-this and troll-that but in my lifetime on Bluesnews (which is many, many years longer than my posting lifetime) I've hardly ever seen a true troll. Sure, there's been people going out of line and talking garbage but most of them were having a shitty day, got too emotionally entangled with a topic or were too arrogant to admit they were wrong. True trolls, systematically commenting simply to annoy people? They were few. Very few.

Putting people in the ignore list is narrowing your own little mind. Don't tell me that none of you ever read a quoted comment from someone you ignored and thought "Well fuck me, I can't agree more with this guy atm!". It's your own arrogant pride that keeps you from removing that person from the list.

Trolls! Trolls!
There are none here. Every one of us sometimes says something stupid, insulting or something that's just annoying. Every one of us more often than not doesn't.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

45. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 9, 2013, 09:52 Verno

I don't know, I think effectively treating someone like they don't exist packs more of a punch than them knowing you read every post and selectively reply. To each his own though, to me it's a videogame hobbyist board, not politics so I don't really care about censorship or etc. Just saves me time and exasperation not having to deal with shitheads. My whole list is only like 6 people, 3 of them very obvious trolls and 2 of them people who shitpost but skirt the rules enough to avoid a ban due to Blues leniency. I only have one person on there who I just can't get along with and it's improved my enjoyment of the board so it works for me.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

44. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 9, 2013, 03:32 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Jul 9, 2013, 01:55:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 02:23:
Don't get the whole ignore thing myself.
Beyond the whole "living in a bubble" effect, it seems like admitting that some idiot's words can harm you.

It's a convenience thing. This way I don't start reading two or three sentences in a post before I realize it's yet another post by ShitBasket#1 or TrollCunt#2.

Now I just see "post ignored." Saves me a few seconds per post, times a few hundred idiots on ignore times several times per day of reading popular threads. Do the math. That's time I can play games, homie!

Creston

I prefer to do that on a post by post basis. I scan (all) posts pretty quickly for their gist and really rarely read any of them thoroughly unless I plan on replying or it's especially interesting. I also feel that ignoring a troll post packs more of a punch when the troll knows you read it. Seems to me it's the difference between "Ooh I woulda got them had they seen it" and "Damn they didn't take the bait."

But really most of all I'm just against censorship regardless if it's from a position of authority or personally administered. I'd never be able to keep an ignore filter on, I'd always be curious as to what was said. It kills me when Blue removes posts

43. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 9, 2013, 01:55 Creston

Beyond the whole "living in a bubble" effect, it seems like admitting that some idiot's words can harm you.

It's a convenience thing. This way I don't start reading two or three sentences in a post before I realize it's yet another post by ShitBasket#1 or TrollCunt#2.

Now I just see "post ignored." Saves me a few seconds per post, times a few hundred idiots on ignore times several times per day of reading popular threads. Do the math. That's time I can play games, homie!

Creston

42. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 9, 2013, 01:34 Jerykk

The 5 little chapters in this episode are so ridiculously short, there's no possible way you can get ANY attachement to the characters, leaving you, quite logically, horribly detached from the game from beginning to end. The choices you have to make don't make fucking sense, except for one tiny chapter where you play a woman in a group of survivers -- which is the best chapter and only good thing this crap has to offer.

I don't think you understand what this DLC is supposed to be. This DLC is designed to give some background on the characters you'll be seeing in the next season of TWD. Given that the average TWD episode was 1-2 hours long and each episode cost $5 (unless you bought the whole season on sale), $5 is a fair price for this DLC.

For what it's worth, I thought the characters and the situations they faced were interesting. You can get the DLC for $4 at GMG. If you enjoyed the first season and plan on playing the next season, I see no reason not to buy this DLC.

41. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 16:20 Prez

As a great fan of the Walking Dead episodes, let me tell you DON'T BUY THIS 400 EPISODE! It's ridiculously short, even for those few dollars.

Yeah, I loved Walking Dead, but I read a review that said it was all of an hour and 15 minutes. At first I thought that meant per story arc (there are 5), but no that was TOTAL. That's cray short, and not worth the bother.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 16:05 Quinn

As a great fan of the Walking Dead episodes, let me tell you DON'T BUY THIS 400 EPISODE! It's ridiculously short, even for those few dollars. The FAQ saying they recommend you to play the first 5 episodes is purely only to persuade you into buying them because the characters in this short episode hardly ever mentioned anything regarding Lee's choices. Ever.

The 5 little chapters in this episode are so ridiculously short, there's no possible way you can get ANY attachement to the characters, leaving you, quite logically, horribly detached from the game from beginning to end. The choices you have to make don't make fucking sense, except for one tiny chapter where you play a woman in a group of survivers -- which is the best chapter and only good thing this crap has to offer.

This episode is an insult to the entire game. Again: Don't buy it. It's not worth a cent.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

39. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 12:52 Prez

I wish our profile pages listed how many ignore lists we have each made it on to! I wonder who would be in the lead? I'm guessing Sepharo - man that guy just pisses everybody off!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

38. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 12:50 Verno

Yeah I agree with Batman, the less people giving trolls attention makes them more likely to piss off somewhere else. I've noticed very few people quoting specific posters, probably due to the addition of ignore and its made the site comments sections a lot more readable.  

37. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 12:42 xXBatmanXx

Jivaro wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 10:29:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jul 8, 2013, 07:37:

I deal with idiots all day long at my job, last thing I want to do is continue that at home. I have better things to do.

+1

That said, I have nobody on my block list at this time. I tend to think of it more like "time out", taking people off the list 2 weeks or a month after they have been on it. In two of those cases it was for beating a dead horse with a dead horse that had been killed with a dead horse while screaming obscenities at anyone who was trying to tell them the horse was dead.

Block isn't going to change the person making the posts, in fact it changes next to nothing. The only thing it does is give me a small respite from something I find annoying. Should I let something like posts on the Internet get under my skin? No, probably not, but rather than bitch about people beating a dead horse I use a temporary block. *shrug*

I haven't ever blocked anyone for simply having a different opinion. That would make no sense. Why exactly would a person come to the discussion forums of a gaming website if it weren't to view the variety of opinions by fellow gamers on the topics of the day?

By putting idiots on the ignore list, you won't quote them. The worst thing to do is read and respond to their shit. Even reading it is justifying their existence.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

36. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 10:29 Jivaro

I deal with idiots all day long at my job, last thing I want to do is continue that at home. I have better things to do.

+1

That said, I have nobody on my block list at this time. I tend to think of it more like "time out", taking people off the list 2 weeks or a month after they have been on it. In two of those cases it was for beating a dead horse with a dead horse that had been killed with a dead horse while screaming obscenities at anyone who was trying to tell them the horse was dead.

Block isn't going to change the person making the posts, in fact it changes next to nothing. The only thing it does is give me a small respite from something I find annoying. Should I let something like posts on the Internet get under my skin? No, probably not, but rather than bitch about people beating a dead horse I use a temporary block. *shrug*

I haven't ever blocked anyone for simply having a different opinion. That would make no sense. Why exactly would a person come to the discussion forums of a gaming website if it weren't to view the variety of opinions by fellow gamers on the topics of the day?

35. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 08:56 Verno

Nah it's about realizing some people have nothing worthwhile to offer and being able to save time reading nonsense you aren't interested in. Like anything, people use it for all sorts of reasons, many valid.

34. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 08:47 Prez

Ain't that the truth. I like it in my bubble.

- Mahatma Gandhi

33. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 07:37 xXBatmanXx

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

32. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 04:20 Jerykk

No, wasn't me. But the persistent upgrades and loot is a nice touch and addresses the core issue some people have with rogue-likes. Namely, the fact that you completely lose all progress when you die. Rogue Legacy makes permadeath less painful and ensures you always feel like you're making progress in each playthrough. This does compromise the high stakes nature of permadeath but I think it makes the game more enjoyable in the long-run.  

31. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 03:25 Dev

Jerykk wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 17:01:
On a side note, it's good to see Rogue Legacy doing well. Definitely deserves it.
Were you the one who got me hooked on that? Man I'm loving the upgrading mansion thing.

30. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 03:07 Jerykk

Agreed. When you censor something (or someone), you're basically admitting that they offend you.

29. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 02:23 Sepharo

28. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 8, 2013, 02:20 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 23:25:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 21:26:
Rattlehead wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 21:24:
Who doesn't have cutter on their ignore list by now? Does that guy say anything worthwhile?

How's that glass house working out for you?

That tool was first on the ignore list if I recall. Yeah, I've got a fair sized list at this point.

Frans showed us a way to see your entire ignore list once. I forgot how to do it though. Anyone remember?

Creston

27. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 7, 2013, 23:42 xXBatmanXx

Cutter wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 23:25:
nin wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 21:26:
Rattlehead wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 21:24:
Who doesn't have cutter on their ignore list by now? Does that guy say anything worthwhile?

How's that glass house working out for you?

That tool was first on the ignore list if I recall. Yeah, I've got a fair sized list at this point.

Yea another one I don't see anything unless someone quotes him....

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo