Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Metaverse

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 8, 2013, 09:22 avianflu

That is a very confused article. It is arguing from an author's standpoint I get that. But then the logic is all over the place.

The bottomline is that Amazon is testing the waters to see if higher book prices on digital books will "sell" or not. Amazon at the same time is not as frequently or broadly "specially discounting" books these days, which is possibly the more important change versus a few years ago.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 23:33 xXBatmanXx

PropheT wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 16:09:
Prez wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 15:36:
I was confused by this arfticle. Amazon is the best thing to happen to books since the printing press. Publishers can fuck off and die; they are longer needed, and they've never been wanted.

That pretty much covers it.

Publishers have often been an obstacle to getting work published rather than a facilitator, especially in the age of target demographics and megamarketing. Their going away isn't just good for authors but it's good for readers, too, in that we get stories in their intended form rather than a great premise watered down to move more units.

The downside is that you have to weed through the crap to find the gems, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

I have a number of smaller authors I like who I can now get more of their books because of Amazon and their own self publishing. Many publishers suppressed works that they didn't think they could get millions for - stifled creativity.

F you publishers.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

10. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 19:23 Cutter

Most publishers don't hire proofreaders anymore and haven't in a long time which is why virtually all books these days have all manner of errors in them. The reality is the only thing a publisher can offer is contacts and advertising. And that makes the difference in most cases. Plenty of self-published people out there that no one will ever hear of beyond their friends who were obliged to buy their book.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

9. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 19:19 Prez

There are many horrible self-published books in need of a proper editor, this is one thing publishers facilitated at least.

This is true, however many of the authors self publishing on Amazon are very good about getting out updated, properly edited versions. I get email notifications all the time about e-book updates from Amazon, and many have huge improvements. As they make money new authors are better able to afford editors down the road.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

8. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 17:32 Redmask

I would like to see editors takeover in some form as the role of a 'publisher' or at least continue to find work and take a percentage of sales or something along those lines. There are many horrible self-published books in need of a proper editor, this is one thing publishers facilitated at least.  

7. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 16:09 PropheT

Prez wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 15:36:
I was confused by this arfticle. Amazon is the best thing to happen to books since the printing press. Publishers can fuck off and die; they are longer needed, and they've never been wanted.

That pretty much covers it.

Publishers have often been an obstacle to getting work published rather than a facilitator, especially in the age of target demographics and megamarketing. Their going away isn't just good for authors but it's good for readers, too, in that we get stories in their intended form rather than a great premise watered down to move more units.

The downside is that you have to weed through the crap to find the gems, but that's a small price to pay in my opinion.

6. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 15:36 Prez

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 15:33 Agent.X7

Every time I read one of these articles I get two things from it:

People are averse to change, and big business middlemen hate it when they get shut out.

Big publishers are the past. They are going away because they are really leaches who do not add value to a product. Artists and writers can now self publish digitally, and if they do well enough to require a physical product they can get it done much cheaper through a smaller publishing deal.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

4. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 15:19 Redmask

The independent bookstores around here are thriving, they price a bit higher but make up for it doing new things with customer service, accessibility, niche content, potential used book sales and hosting sessions with authors. The big book chains are in trouble but who fucking cares? Their niche offerings are pitiful, the childrens books and magazine sections take up half the store and they seem more intent on stocking stupid overpriced knicknacks and dvds than surviving.  

3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 14:11 Creston

. <- that there is the world's smallest man playing a sad song on the world's tiniest violin in D minor for this article.

WAAAAAH, Amazon makes it so hard for a publisher to price our books. Waaaaaah. Feel sorry for the publishers. Waaaaah. You know, those same publishers who conspired with Apple to create an illegal cartel so they could charge MORE for ebooks than they did for physical copies. WWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHH FEEL SORRY FOR US WAAAAAAAAAAHHHH.

Fuck you in the ass-sack, publisher. Five years from now all you worthless shitbags will be dead, and everyone will just self-publish. And then you'll have to get a real job where you actually do something other than fucking leeching off someone else's work.

Creston

2. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 13:09 Ant

nin wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 11:52:
Ha, thought I was the only one who used camelcamelcamel...wish amazon did that themselves, where I could set a "notify" price and a "buy automatically" price.

I <3 Camel*3!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

1. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 11:52 nin

Ha, thought I was the only one who used camelcamelcamel...wish amazon did that themselves, where I could set a "notify" price and a "buy automatically" price.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo