Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 14:16 Creston

Jensen wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 00:50:
Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:17:
To be fair, I never have an issue with google's ads. They load promptly, they're small in size (usually a few hundred K at most), they never have fucking video or volume 17000 noise
I've seen video ads from Google on YouTube... in the sidebar. I'm watching the main video, and a video will start playing (with sound!) in the sidebar. Or, I'll have a YouTube page open in another tab, and the side ad will occasional change and start playing video with sound.

I was more specifically referring to the "google adbar" ads, which are basically just text, and are, as far as I know, the only google ads that are getting through adblock plus' "allow non-intrusive ads" setting. (In fact, I'm pretty sure they are, because I have that setting checked, and they're the only google ads I see. I see ZERO ads on Youtube.)

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. AdBlock... Jul 7, 2013, 12:04 Ant

Hmm, I never noticed any Google ads. on my side but then I use multiple subscriptions.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 7, 2013, 00:50 Jensen

Creston wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:17:
To be fair, I never have an issue with google's ads. They load promptly, they're small in size (usually a few hundred K at most), they never have fucking video or volume 17000 noise
I've seen video ads from Google on YouTube... in the sidebar. I'm watching the main video, and a video will start playing (with sound!) in the sidebar. Or, I'll have a YouTube page open in another tab, and the side ad will occasional change and start playing video with sound.

16. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 22:38 Steele Johnson

Google can suck my left ad. They practically own ever single one of your keystrokes. haha jokes on all the google fanboys for praising them for so long. Now they own you. hahahaha!  

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 17:40 Creston

I unblock Blues and RPS and... I think that's about it. There might be one or two sites that I've got unblocked otherwise.

Unfortunately, one of Blue's ad providers is terribly aggravating on my home connection, to the point where it literally takes minutes to load the main page. (it doesn't do it always, but it's often enough to be irritating.) So at home I've got that one particular provider blocked.

At work he's completely unblocked, since the 300mbps pipe we've got there really doesn't even notice the hickup.

Creston

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 16:29 deqer

Dear Google,

If people have gone out of there way to install an extension that's it's sole purpose is to block ads, then what the **** does that tell you? It's quite obvious what it tells you, so, now you're shoving ads down our throat? Cool. You're so cool.

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 15:23 Prez

Bluesnews is he only website I allow ads for, and only at home. I have ads blocked at work for security and privacy reasons. Blue's site is the only one that I feel I get enough out of to justify putting up with ads. All the other sites can whine and cry 'til the cows come home. They remain perpetually 100% blocked.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 14:36 eRe4s3r

Blues should have a http://flattr.com/ button at the very least  

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 14:19 wtf_man

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 14:09:
That said, Blue asked and I did and have now done the few sites I frequent a lot, I've unblocked them. I get it and if I use it a lot, ok. Now if you break my trust with ridiculous stuff, then I'll just re-block.

I'd rather donate and keep my ad blocker on. Unfortunately, Blue's site ads are annoying animated things (I do see them when I come here with other PC's that I don't own).

As long as I have been coming here... I wouldn't mind throwing some cash his way if he had a paypal donation link... and I definitely would do that.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 14:09 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 12:08:
Tom wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 11:14:
Or you could, you know, uncheck the box that says "allow non-intrusive ads". I dunno if they still do this, but AdBlock Plus went out of its way to point this out on initial setup last couple times I installed it.

Yeah, I've been doing that by default every time I install ABP, since they added that "feature".

Yeah it's one of those stupid things a checkbox:
"Allow some non-intrusive advertising"

What is some? Who? Why not just say no to it all? Sort of the point, why some vague, "sure I'll allow some random stuff".

That said, Blue asked and I did and have now done the few sites I frequent a lot, I've unblocked them. I get it and if I use it a lot, ok. Now if you break my trust with ridiculous stuff, then I'll just re-block.

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 13:19 wtf_man

The tracking pisses me off more than the non-intrusive ads. Even with Incognito, Do not track enabled in the browser, and Ghostery running...they still track you.

So, I don't allow non-intrusive ads either, because of that... and I want to make it as tough as possible for these assholes to track me. Ad networks are just as bad as the NSA.

Fuck them.

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 12:27 Ratty

Yeah, I don't have a problem with AdBlock and Google. The ads are nonintrusive and Google has to make a living. AdBlock are not sellouts here. I started using AdBlock when the animated crap got too widespread to bear. Nothing I hate more than something jerking and twitching and moving off to the side, distracting me from what I'm trying to read. Same reason I have Flashblock. Occasionally I have to use IE, which I have no addons for, and am stunned at how unusable the raw web really is. Haven't had java turned on for YEARS and have never once missed it.

I have no problem with banners, non-moving ads off to one side, even interstital ads. Websites have to make a living you know.

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 12:17 Creston

Or you could, you know, uncheck the box that says "allow non-intrusive ads". I dunno if they still do this, but AdBlock Plus went out of its way to point this out on initial setup last couple times I installed it.

Which is all it is. To be fair, I never have an issue with google's ads. They load promptly, they're small in size (usually a few hundred K at most), they never have fucking video or volume 17000 noise, and they never fucking hang a website like most other ad providers do. (Google analytics, on the other hand...)

I understand what they're doing with the "Allow non-intrusive ads" option, and quite frankly I support it. It's really about the only way I can see that ad providers, and the fucking morons who design their ads, will MAYBE figure out "hey, we need to stop building these really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really fucking annoying ads, or else nobody is ever going to see them anymore."

God, I fondly remember the days of the internet before the fucking cuntsack marketoids got involved.

{sarcasm| I just can't wait for my xbone-eighty to get here so I can start interacting with ads and share them with my friends!!!!! {/sarcasm}

Fuck you and die, Xbox.

Creston

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 12:08 wtf_man

Yeah, I've been doing that by default every time I install ABP, since they added that "feature".

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 11:18 Mr. Tact

Ah, yes -- you are correct, I totally overlooked that.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 11:14 Mr. Tact

*shrug* Seems up to date:

AdBlock

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 11:14 Tom

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 11:05 nin

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 10:58:
"nonintrusive" my ass. I noticed this, switched from ABP to AdBlock, which oddly are apparently totally separate extensions.

I thought adblock was the older of the two and not updated any more?

edit: I should say on the FF side of things...I now see adblock on the chrome store. On the FF side, I thought adblock was discontinued and eventually picked up by someone else, thus renaming it adblock plus.

Also laughing my ass off at this

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2013, 11:12.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 6, 2013, 10:58 Mr. Tact

"nonintrusive" my ass. I noticed this, switched from ABP to AdBlock, which oddly are apparently totally separate extensions.  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo