Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The fireworks last night were not as bad as anticipated, which was fine with us. I even braved the sweltering heat yesterday to do some outdoor cooking, though I wisely chose to BBQ rather than grill, since that can go unattended. I made a rack of loin ribs that came out pretty well, as I succeeded in getting a proper "low and slow" session going, cooking them at about 275°F for an hour before getting it down to 250°F for two more. Good stuff. Though I still suspect I could have saved some wood and charcoal by just locking the ribs in the car for a few hours...

Slow Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Wolverine Tokyo Fury.
Stories: Billionaire's lover gets 12 years for fake will.
Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Thanks /..
Science: MIT researchers build an all-optical transistor.
Hawkmoths zap bats with sonic blasts from their genitals.
Media: Rhythmic gymnast Shin Soo-ji's first pitch. Wow!
Dawn The Fox Wags Her Tail.
Illinois Man Building Homemade Pirate Ship For His Upcoming Wedding.
The Funnies: Dilbert.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2013, 10:05 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 09:38:
Julio wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 08:58:
That gymnast is very talented. Great pitch.
Did she throw a pitch? Totally missed it for some reason.

WHOA!

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2013, 09:38 Mr. Tact

Julio wrote on Jul 7, 2013, 08:58:
Did she throw a pitch? Totally missed it for some reason.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 7, 2013, 08:58 Julio

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 22:35 Creston

Jivaro wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 21:29:
IGN and ESPN. Of all the fucking sources in the world, a video game network and a sports network were posting updates on the crash first.

W.T.F....

Far bigger online presence among their fans. I'm sure someone was tweeting about the crash within minutes, and the odds of it reaching those networks was bigger than it reaching the news networks.

Glad to see the death toll is so relatively light, and my thoughts and prayers for the families of those lost.

Creston

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 22:02 nin

Jivaro wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 21:29:
And yeah..wow. When I first saw the pictures of the plane that David Eun posted on his twitter feed I was amazed that the death toll was so low. When KTVU (local network) finally got an airborne camera zoomed in on the crash site, I was even more startled. Terrible thing to happen, but it could have been so much worse.

Prez wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 21:35:
It's unbelievable people got out of that alive!

Really is. Feel bad that anyone lost their lives, but all things considered? Wow!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 21:35 Prez

It's unbelievable people got out of that alive!  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 21:29 Jivaro

I live in the SF/Oakland Bay Area. I heard about and was checking for updates on the crash 5-10 minutes after it happened. You know who had the first info on the crash?

Not CNN. Not Fox. Not MSNBC or NBC. Not CBS, ABC...none of them. 20 minutes after the crash both CNN and Fox had yet to even report that it had happened.

IGN and ESPN. Of all the fucking sources in the world, a video game network and a sports network were posting updates on the crash first.

W.T.F....

And yeah..wow. When I first saw the pictures of the plane that David Eun posted on his twitter feed I was amazed that the death toll was so low. When KTVU (local network) finally got an airborne camera zoomed in on the crash site, I was even more startled. Terrible thing to happen, but it could have been so much worse.

10. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 21:27 Prez

You're a cool cat, Prez, and I'm glad you're here!

Thanks!

But then, I do enjoy my life. So I figure "ah whatever" and just live how I want.

That's how you do it. Just don't sweat it - you are fine.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

9. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 18:08 nin

Strangely enough it was being able to socialize on the internet (an environment in which I have full control of the interaction and can choose when to end it instantly) that helped get me over it.

You're a cool cat, Prez, and I'm glad you're here!

Also, thoughts and prayers to those folks in San Francisco. Not to paint the situation in a positive way, but looking at the pictures, I initially assumed it'd be a lot worse.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2013, 18:15.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 17:48 Creston

jdreyer wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 16:37:
The Japanese people as a whole are showing an all time low interest in sex according to...

Japanese women don't show enough interest in tentacle rape for Japanese males to still be interested.

Creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 17:46 Cutter

There's also the economic realities as pointed out in the article. High unemployment, shitty jobs with shitty pay regardless of your background, property prices through the roof so forget buying a home and rent can be insane. And with the Japanese in particular all the pressure from society, their parents, etc. yeah it's enough to make you want to withdraw from the world. My suggestion would be they overcome that by drinking heavily. Learn a trade forget white collar. Get in shape. Party. Meet chicks that way. And it'll be a lot better than hiding in a room.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 16:45 eRe4s3r

Mhhh, that actually makes a lot of sense. But it really doesn't help my cause of "not being weird" that I can't (or is it "don't want to"?) chat worth a damn. The digital age has made me not talk about stuff I don't care about because time and attention is limit, but amount of possible distractions is infinite. And if I can choose, pointless banter is not a distraction I want to follow up on. (except with certain people I know and love where it's more a game ) ;p

I am not on the verge of nervous breakdowns ever in social situations but I really don't enjoy whenever I am put in a room with strangers. It's why I often time my dentist appointments so that I can go there with a friend or family member. (Ok, I guess that is another problem entirely, dentists hehe).

But then, I do enjoy my life. So I figure "ah whatever" and just live how I want.

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 6, 2013, 16:37 jdreyer

The Japanese people as a whole are showing an all time low interest in sex according to some recent studies. Their population is trending from a high of 120m a few years a go to fall to 90m by 2050. I think that the more technological a society becomes, that this becomes more the case. Technology allows us to become self sufficient in all of our needs and denecessitates interacting with other humans.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 16:07 Prez

I hope I get over it like you did Prez when I get older.... at least you have given me some hope in that respect.

This is kind of personal, but no one reads this stuff on Saturdays anyway... Full disclosure: I needed therapy to get over it. One thing the therapist said that really stuck with it me is that there is no call for being ashamed that you prefer your own company. Once I got over the shame of being "weird" (which the therapist helped me undertsand that I actually wasn't) it got a lot easier. In large part it is the self-prescribed stigma of "weirdness" we label ourselves with that makes us withdraw further. I will never be a social butterfly like my wife but at least I'm not on the verge of a breakdown every time I am in a social setting (a small group like you refer to), and I can sometimes even find myself enjoying it now.

This comment was edited on Jul 6, 2013, 16:13.

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 15:54 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 15:29:
Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms?

I had a very similar issue as the young man highlighted in the beginning of the article when I was in my 30's. I would leave my room but never wanted to leave the confines of my house. I was terrified of social settings, and I would become openly hostile to nice people if forced into one by my wife. Strangely enough it was being able to socialize on the internet (an environment in which I have full control of the interaction and can choose when to end it instantly) that helped get me over it. Considering that I often hear parents yelling at their kids to get off the computer/game console/phone and go socialize I find that pretty ironic.

I think nearly any introvert person (50% of all the people on this planet) suffer more or less from that same problem. The funny thing is I have no problem being in crowds, I love the anonymity this gives me, but when I am supposed to go somewhere where there are relatively few people (open empty restaurants, for example) I often rather go inside to a table out of view.

I don't think I will ever really get comfortable with tiny crowds (ie, 1 to 3 people) what you call social settings. I can stand going shopping but I get really uncertain when I am supposed to just "chat" with 1 or 2 people. I literally can't chat. If I have nothing to add to an discussion I am silent. Because what'd be the point of talking about stuff I 1) don't care about and 2) can't add any proper knowledge to.. And 3) Why would I talk to someone that doesn't talk about stuff I care about.

I think I am closer to those Japanese men than I want. But meh, it's who I am. I hope I get over it like you did Prez when I get older.... at least you have given me some hope in that respect. On that note: My Job does not make getting over this any easier. As "freelancer" I have free reign over my time and stuff, but it ends up meaning I often work when other people have time to socialize. And I go shopping when nearly nobody does.

2. Re: Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 15:29 Prez

Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms?

I had a very similar issue as the young man highlighted in the beginning of the article when I was in my 30's. I would leave my room but never wanted to leave the confines of my house. I was terrified of social settings, and I would become openly hostile to nice people if forced into one by my wife. Strangely enough it was being able to socialize on the internet (an environment in which I have full control of the interaction and can choose when to end it instantly) that helped get me over it. Considering that I often hear parents yelling at their kids to get off the computer/game console/phone and go socialize I find that pretty ironic.

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Why are so many Japanese men refusing to leave their rooms? Jul 6, 2013, 15:12 eRe4s3r

Watch Ghost in the Shell - Solid State Society / And SAC1 and 2 if you really want to know why.... it is a theorized social phenomena .. in some ways the evolution of the behavior of humans that has gotten so complicated that the digital world acts as a counter-evolution model (simple, easy, indirect) when real social interaction is (complicated, difficulty, direct).

Society has, in a weird turn of events, evolved into such a complicated society that it has dead-ended itself. It is not sustainable with growing population numbers to maintain complicated social structures and behavior patterns. The net is forming a counter model to this. And these Japanese men are the extremes, the outliers of the shift in social structures.

Not leaving your room is a bit extreme though, at least until we have automatic home shipping for everything you can buy in a store ^^

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo