Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed

Unknown Worlds details the upcoming addition of the promised female Marine for Natural Selection 2, their action/strategy sequel. They describe the three different versions they will offer, and note that they are breaking with how most developers portray female characters by actually giving her armor. Here's word:

The game industry has a history of depicting female characters inappropriately. Often, they are stylised to such a degree that they become sexual objects: While their male comrades are clothed, armed and armoured to fight, the female character is notable for the lack of any clothing at all. When female characters are granted equal protection, that protection often ignores basic laws of physics in favour of offering titillating form.

This is not good enough, and it’s not a trope Unknown Worlds will entertain. Games are legitimate cultural influences, and game developers are responsible for the message they choose to convey to players. The Natural Selection 2 female marine is first and foremost, like her male colleague, a soldier. Her armour puts function before form, while adopting the science fiction, melee combat aligned design ques that have made the male marine so uniquely recognisable.

View
12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

12. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 7, 2013, 05:17 Morga

"The game industry has a history of depicting female characters inappropriately"

Actually many games have done that appropriately such as Elder Scrolls.
Many games throughout history were not meant to be taken too seriously, and have depicted male characters "inappropriately too" such as the various male action heroes.

For example: Kratos (God of War), Lo Wang (Shadow Warrior) have perfect muscular bodies and fight life-threatening battles without significant armor, and naked chests exposed. Also Prince of Persia (The Sands of Time).

Primarily male characters are put in life-threatening events and depicted as disposable in games.

So whether a game chooses to have realistic armor or not is up to developers. And its wrong to stereotype the whole industry as making scantly clad characters.

People like sexy, hot, handsome characters. If they're all fat and ugly less people will buy the product. In case you don't like a game, don't play or get it and you can give developers feedback.

This comment was edited on Jul 7, 2013, 05:33.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

11. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 05:26 Armengar

Combat mod is broken to a degree at the moment. Ns2 is frustrating and generally depends on whuch server you join. Some are highly elitist. If you are in US try mavicks server, very friendly place. In EU either dumbass brits or yoclan.  
Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

10. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 05:08 Kosumo

What the fuck with the shoulder pads (of any size?) I would say (with no experiance) that wearing any kind of 'shoulder' armour would be detormentail to firing rifles/guns/weapons in combat .... can't lie prone in shoulder armour??

Happy to be told otherwise. anyone?

9. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 04:24 entr0py

It is ironic that in the press release they site an article about the impracticality of having decorative metal boobs built into breast plates, but all of their designs feature futuristic boobplate.  

8. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 04:20 Sepharo

Few games I've popped into lately have been some sort of combat mode where there isn't a commander. You can still buy guns and upgrades (same with aliens) using XP gained from kills. I liked it.  

7. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 02:12 Cutter

TychoCelchuuu wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 22:30:
Pretty awesome. I also like how we can always tell the Australian guy writes these updates because he writes stuff like "armour."

Uh outside of the US we all pretty much use the Queen's english with u's. Same as metric. You guys might want to try and get on board sometime if that's not too difficult.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

6. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 01:26 Linksil

Prez: I'm sorry to hear that was your experience with NS2. For me all the games I've played people have been more then helpful when just starting out. Even for commanding, I just asked "I've never done it, mind if I try" most of the time people will be happy to deal with it if you ask. Maybe it's just the servers you got on. I really love all the maps that have been coming out of the community, just wish I had more time to play it.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

5. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 00:52 Prez

The first three matches I joined I got screamed at (tell me why voice chat is a good thing again?) because I was a rookie doing decidedly "un-rookie" things, like trying out commander and such. Of course, no one else was going in the command position for half the match, and we were being crushed, but "Hey, noob GTFO!" Whatever. Back to singleplayer games.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

4. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 6, 2013, 00:23 RaZ0r!

My pet peeve with this game has always been how the 5.1 sound support that was in beta just disappeared and was never acknowledged or re-added. They said they planned to sell their engine, but I'm not sure how you sell one without 5.1 sound support. I think they should have just stuck with Source.  

3. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 5, 2013, 23:58 loomy

this game is dead, do not buy  

2. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 5, 2013, 22:50 Narf2029

It is awesome. Ultimately it will have a minor change on visuals that many people may not even notice and probably no gameplay impact whatsoever, and that's just what women are looking for. Or at least, it's strongly preferred over the steel bikini mindset that's been running strong for so long.  
Huh? I'm sorry, I was thinking about cake.

1. Re: Natural Selection 2 Female Marine Detailed Jul 5, 2013, 22:30 TychoCelchuuu

Pretty awesome. I also like how we can always tell the Australian guy writes these updates because he writes stuff like "armour."  

12 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo