Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII

Grab your caps lock, as Steam News announces that FINAL FANTASY VII is now available on Steam for your old-school RPG pleasure:

The RPG classic Final Fantasy VII is Now Available on Steam!

In Midgar, a city controlled by the mega-conglomerate Shinra Inc., the No. 1 Mako Reactor has been blown up by a rebel group, AVALANCHE. AVALANCHE was secretly formed to wage a rebellion against Shinra Inc., an organisation which is absorbing Mako energy, destroying the natural resources of the planet. Cloud, a former member of Shinra's elite combat force, SOLDIER, was involved with the bombing of the Mako Reactor.

Can Cloud and AVALANCHE protect the planet from the huge, formidable enemy, Shinra Inc.?

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 10:19 Verno

I don't know, I found the story was bizarre and poorly executed. Huge chunks of exposition and detail needed to even properly understand it are buried in optional segments, one of which you probably wouldn't find without a FAQ. FF7 shined for its broken but fun mechanics, decent characterization and engrossing epic journey but story? Ehhhhh  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 09:28 Xero

I think it's awesome that it's available through steam.

With that said, my my, how ugly this game was and still ever is, lol. I remember playing the demo on my first PC I owned back in like 1998 or 1999 and good lord, I was like, this is FF7? That game everyone talks about that's so great? Their hands were cubes for pete's sake!

I was still intrigued enough to buy the full version and luckily the story did live up to the hype and the graphics easily become bearable.

In this day and age, with the graphics not updated or holding up in any way, all I can say is play it for the story alone, it's well worth it.

This comment was edited on Jul 5, 2013, 09:38.

Currently playing: Skyrim

31. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 09:27 Verno

It actually took me less time to emulate and enhance the console version than it did to mod the PC version to include a proper soundtrack and replace the textures and other bugfixes.

This is the laziest type of port anyway, people shouldn't be encouraging it.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

30. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 04:33 Mashiki Amiketo

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 18:10:
The emulated PSX version is a 1000x better, due to graphical mods you can install. You couldn't pay me to play this half-assed 15 year old port
You know the PC-CD version is even better right? No emulation required on top.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

29. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 03:59 jdreyer

mag wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 02:05:
This game was hideous even when it was new. "Hasn't aged well" is a huge understatement.

Couldn't agree more. In '99 when I played it for the first time, it looked terrible (and that's saying something), but the story, gameplay, and music were novel, so it was enjoyable. None of that is novel any more, and coupled with hideous graphics, well, I've got plenty unplayed in my Steam acct already so, pass.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 5, 2013, 02:05 mag

This game was hideous even when it was new. "Hasn't aged well" is a huge understatement.  

27. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 20:15 Prez

Wishlisted to keep in mind for when the tweaks come out to make this worth playing. And for when it drops to 5 bucks.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

26. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 19:58 nin

HorrorScope wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 16:38:
Kythlyn wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 14:55:
...Cloud saves... CLOUD SAVES! Ahahahahah.

No shit. A feature everyone has been asking for.

Zoom?

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

25. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 19:11 Axis

Runs great emulated on Ouya. Love the Ouya...  

Yours truly,

Axis

24. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 18:36 NegaDeath

Rattlehead wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 18:10:
The emulated PSX version is a 1000x better, due to graphical mods you can install. You couldn't pay me to play this half-assed 15 year old port

The PC version had even more mod support in addition to graphic enhancements not possible via emulation. Still not justifying purchasing a DRM laced lazy port but this PC version will be the best looking one.

23. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 18:33 killer_roach

Panickd wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 16:03:
$12? For a haphazard port of a game that came out 16 years ago? WTF? If it was $5 or less maybe I'd bite. I don't even think the PS1 classics version on the PSN cost me that much.

I got it from Square Enix's website last year when they had it on sale for $7. I think I slightly overpaid, but not terribly so. $5, however, would probably be a good price for it (even if it means waiting for the inevitable sale, which, seeing as it is Squeenix, will happen).

Not really... Aeris still dies, after all...

22. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 18:10 Rattlehead

21. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 18:05 Tom

JeffD wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:08:
Its good.. but still not the same. There are custom instrument sounds in the game that didn't carry over well to midi instruments. On the flip side the horns and strings were horrible on the ps1 version. I had a roland sc-55 at the time ff7 came to pc, but these days I have played the midi tracks using high end 100-200 meg soundfonts.

Those MIDI files were specifically designed for Yamaha's proprietary XG standard. Those files were crafted not only to target particular sounds, but also the attack/decay/sustain/release characteristics of those sounds, as well as the way the synth interprets volume changes and other events affecting the sounds of notes in progress. Even the best Roland synth or biggest soundfont can never do justice to the intent contained within those MIDI files.

Unfortunately, hardly anyone ever had a true XG-capable synth. I believe an XG soft-synth was bundled with the original FF7 PC release, but it had limited OS compatibility and was still lower quality than a hardware synth. I think they even compromised on output sample rate because it was so long ago...

20. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 17:58 StrickNine

with a bit of googling you can find a replacement music pack that someone put together so you can have the excellent soundtrack instead of the midi crap.  

19. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 16:55 PHJF

Cloud saves?

Does he only take half damage?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

18. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 16:38 HorrorScope

No shit. A feature everyone has been asking for.

17. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 16:29 PHJF

Squeenix are under the impression the Final Fantasy IP justifies overpricing their seemingly inexhaustible supply of rereleases.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

16. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 16:03 Panickd

$12? For a haphazard port of a game that came out 16 years ago? WTF? If it was $5 or less maybe I'd bite. I don't even think the PS1 classics version on the PSN cost me that much.  

15. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 15:08 JeffD

Tom wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 11:20:
Verno wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 10:20:
Just a PSA, this is the ancient PC release with the shitty midi soundtrack

Played properly by an XG-capable synth, that MIDI soundtrack is legendary.

Its good.. but still not the same. There are custom instrument sounds in the game that didn't carry over well to midi instruments. On the flip side the horns and strings were horrible on the ps1 version. I had a roland sc-55 at the time ff7 came to pc, but these days I have played the midi tracks using high end 100-200 meg soundfonts.

Anyways, yea, wasn't really a good port. It was fine for the first of its kind decades ago, but to bring it out NOW like this is a travesty.

14. Re: Steamships Ahoy - FINAL FANTASY VII Jul 4, 2013, 14:55 Kythlyn

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo