Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Independence Day Consolidation

View
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

58. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 6, 2013, 18:04 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 6, 2013, 15:28:
Tom wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 13:47:
...except I never said I was defending the Xbox. What I was trying to defend was civility in the discussions here, as opposed to the endless echo chamber of toxic bitchfests that usually happens instead.

You really proved my point though. If MS had actually said "the Xbox One is built for advertising", that would've strongly implied that it's built for advertising first and gaming second. The phrase "built for X" is typically used to mean "built with X as the top priority". For example, the McLaren F1 was built for speed while the Prius was built for fuel economy. But what Microsoft actually said, that it's "going to have advertising in mind", does not have any such implication. There is no mutual exclusion nor prioritization. Those arise only from your own bias and agenda.

About the civility: people are actually very upset that in the hardcore gaming market where there are only three true choices, one of the three main players has decided to blatantly treat its customers as stupid ATMs that exist for the sole purpose of extracting cash. If people WEREN'T pissed off, I'd wonder what mind control drugs the gov't was putting in the water. And not being civil is actually resulting in change as MS backscrabbles to make their product more consumer friendly.

As for whether the XB1 was "built for advertising" or "built with advertising in mind" is really nitpicking semantics. MS is building mechanics in the O/S to allow people to share and interact with ads. It's intrusive, offensive, and disgusting. Any sentence that includes both "build" and "ads" is applicable in this case, even if the nuance is missed a bit.

I hope my reply met the approved Tom Civility Score of 6 or higher.

That's very well articulated! Kudos to you!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

57. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 6, 2013, 15:28 jdreyer

Tom wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 13:47:
...except I never said I was defending the Xbox. What I was trying to defend was civility in the discussions here, as opposed to the endless echo chamber of toxic bitchfests that usually happens instead.

You really proved my point though. If MS had actually said "the Xbox One is built for advertising", that would've strongly implied that it's built for advertising first and gaming second. The phrase "built for X" is typically used to mean "built with X as the top priority". For example, the McLaren F1 was built for speed while the Prius was built for fuel economy. But what Microsoft actually said, that it's "going to have advertising in mind", does not have any such implication. There is no mutual exclusion nor prioritization. Those arise only from your own bias and agenda.

About the civility: people are actually very upset that in the hardcore gaming market where there are only three true choices, one of the three main players has decided to blatantly treat its customers as stupid ATMs that exist for the sole purpose of extracting cash. If people WEREN'T pissed off, I'd wonder what mind control drugs the gov't was putting in the water. And not being civil is actually resulting in change as MS backscrabbles to make their product more consumer friendly.

As for whether the XB1 was "built for advertising" or "built with advertising in mind" is really nitpicking semantics. MS is building mechanics in the O/S to allow people to share and interact with ads. It's intrusive, offensive, and disgusting. Any sentence that includes both "build" and "ads" is applicable in this case, even if the nuance is missed a bit.

I hope my reply met the approved Tom Civility Score of 6 or higher.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

56. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 23:16 Redmask

Advertising permeates every feature in the console and the discussion isn't toxic, the context is. It was built for advertising as much as it was anything else, One Box. Ads on the dashboard, ads with the camera, ads for and in the store sections, ads on the TV overlay, adsadsads. I would not be shocked to see Microsoft reattempt in-game ads, they literally own a company that did it in the past.

Why do we need to be civil about fucking stupid corporate practices? Are we going to hurt Microsofts feelings? When did it suddenly become toxic to call a spade what it is? Bitching helped get the DRM changed, it seems to me the 'internet echo chamber' serves more of a purpose than you seem to realize.

55. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 13:47 Tom

InBlack wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 03:40:
If thats the best defense for the Xbox you can think up then sonny, the battle was lost before there was even a fight. "...is going to have advertising in mind" Really? Really? How about having the gamer in mind? How about having the consumer in mind? LoL, some people...

54. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 11:47 Creston

Flo wrote on Jul 5, 2013, 03:58:
I would have loved the 10-people-family game sharing feature. The original system was superior to steam and everybody seems to love that on the pc. I couldn't care less about the 24 hour check in (cant remember the last time I was really offline for more than 1 hour).

That 10 person game sharing feature was not going to be what you think it was going to be. The clearest explanation we got about it was from that "heartbroken MS employee" who cried on pastebin about how all his work was being destroyed after MS did Backscrabble Phase 1. It was:

A) Only going to allow ONE person of that group of ten to be sharing any of your games at any one moment. (As in, if friend 1 is sharing game A, then friend 2 cannot share game B.)

B) The "sharing" feature was going to be a 15-60 minute DEMO of the game, after which your friends would have been given the option to buy the game. (Just say "XBOX BUY!")

Did you really think it was going to be a system where one person buys one game and then 11 people can play it forever and ever? That would have been worse to a publisher than the used market ever was, and there's no way any of them would have ever signed off on that.

So there's really no reason to be sad. Go right ahead and get a PS4. Unless you enjoy tweeting ads to your friends, I guess.

Creston

53. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 11:42 Creston

wtf_man wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 19:50:
nin wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 19:24:
Redmask wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 19:12:
They haven't been hiding their intentions here but you go on and pick that nit. There are several other examples. Face it, the Xbox One is being built as an advertising platform as much as it is for any other function. It's literally built into every major feature front in the system.

That video is disgusting. And who on early would want "friends" who spam you with ads? It's like marketings wet dream, but has no basis in reality. There's no way in hell I'd pass along an ad to my friends, as I value them a million times more than some stupid assed advertising. And I know they wouldn't appreciate it (hell, I wouldn't), so I would never do it.

That video made me want to throw up. Puke

Yeah, I was stunned when I watched it. Seriously, which fucking living organism wants to INTERACT with fucking ads???? Everyone HATES ads, that's why most people have a DVR now.

MS isn't even living on this planet anymore. It's like they're all jacked into their own private Matrix where if they just say "I work for Microsoft" women rip off their clothes and give them hour long sloppy blowjobs.

What an incredible bunch of fucking morons.

But hey, look on the bright side, guys/gals. Now when one of your friends buys a 180, you'll know soon enough because he/she starts fucking tweeting about "cool ads", and you can forever fucking ignore him/her afterwards.

And soon the 180 owners will be their own, introverted little lepers colony.

Creston

52. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 11:32 Creston

Creston wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 17:57:
Hmm, they're out of the infamous second son bundle, it seems. I'd rather buy Watch Dogs on the PC.

Choices choices... Anyways, thanks nin.

Just a heads up, Infamous Second Sun is not a launch title, so if you order a bundle with that you wouldn't see it until Q1 2014.

Ah, that would explain it. Thanks Redmask.

Creston

51. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 10:20 InBlack

Except thats not how it was going to work, it was more along these lines:

Xbox computer voice: There are more than the designated number of family members in the room, please remove the culprits immediately

10 seconds later

Xbox computer voice: This Xbox will self-destruct in 5 seconds if the pirates are not removed in the designated time frame.

5 seconds later

Xbox self-destructs in a mini-thermonnuclear explosion (thats where the extra 100$ went) destroying half the block and more importantly the offending pirates.

I have a nifty blue line!

50. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 09:08 nin

I would have loved the 10-people-family game sharing feature. The original system was superior to steam and everybody seems to love that on the pc. I couldn't care less about the 24 hour check in (cant remember the last time I was really offline for more than 1 hour).
Now that they took it away I really just have to buy a ps4.

Had publishers actually agreed to take part in that, I might have been less skeptical towards it. But I never heard a single one say that they'd agreed to use that feature.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 07:37 Redmask

The 10 people family feature was bullshit that they were always light on details for because it was going to be heavily restricted. They couldn't even answer basic questions about it and actively refused engage the press, let alone customers. Don't believe the hype. Maybe they will make something useful down the road for digital content but we'll see.

That video is disgusting. And who on earth would want "friends" who spam you with ads? It's like marketings wet dream, but has no basis in reality. There's no way in hell I'd pass along an ad to my friends, as I value them a million times more than some stupid assed advertising. And I know they wouldn't appreciate it (hell, I wouldn't), so I would never do it.

I know what you mean, Creston or Verno linked it last week and I was almost physically ill when I watched it. Advertising people are insanely dumb.

48. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 07:04 Julio

If the Xflop is built for advertising, they should give it away free since it's an adware model.  

47. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 04:54 jdreyer

That video is disgusting. And who on earth would want "friends" who spam you with ads? It's like marketings wet dream, but has no basis in reality. There's no way in hell I'd pass along an ad to my friends, as I value them a million times more than some stupid assed advertising. And I know they wouldn't appreciate it (hell, I wouldn't), so I would never do it.

edit: drinking, spelling...ugh...

They're insane. The entire thing has no basis in reality. Who hovers over ads to watch them??? Who CHOOSES to watch a fcking ad? And who on God's green earth would EVER share an ad with someone? Even if you saw something cool, you might just say something on voice chat, but you'd never SEND someone an ad or tweet it. Teens are social, but they're also anti-establishment, and tweeting an ad is the height of uncoolness. They're crazy. This dude is living in some alternate reality. Check his meds.

UPDATE: Some key quotes from the youtube comments (3 likes 116 dislikes):

"HEY? GUYS! I'M GONNA SHARE MY COKE EXPERIENCE WITH Y'ALL". Exactly what I think when I'm watching a coke advertisement. Its like Microsoft just read my mind.
Not.

Ahaha oh my god could people in marketing possibly be any more disconnected from reality

"Wow, what a cool Coca-Cola ad! I need to share this with all of my friends!" said nobody ever.

yeah id pretty much defriend anyone who would even think i'd want to see a fucking commercial and enjoy it. we should strive? to be LESS like the people in Brave New World, people.

At least he is really passionate about Hal Jordan.

Nice Sony TV he has there...

46. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 04:31 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 13:05:
Now go preorder a PS4!

Yeah, if I absolutely had to have a console, I would get a PS4. I think I'll order neither though, and just stick with my PC for now.

1. I have so much unplayed in my Steam accnt that it's not funny.

2. What with both consoles being built on PC hardware, I expect even fewer games than last generation not to be ported to PC. Red Dead was the only one I was really disappointed to see not come to PC. And that's even less likely this go-around given that porting costs are essentially null.

45. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 03:58 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

44. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 5, 2013, 03:40 InBlack

Tom wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 18:18:
PropheT wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 15:11:
Tom wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 12:06:
Ok, I RTFA AND the source it links to and I'm having a tough time understanding how "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind" (what they actually said) equals "Xbox One is built for advertising" (what you said they said).

Seriously, I hate the XBONE as much as anyone (never owned an MS console and hope I never will) but I would suggest that folks stop putting words in their mouth. It just makes you look hysterical and reflects poorly on the Internet community. Not that we have much to lose there...

Are you being serious? The headline is word for word the title above the article that you said you read. Seriously, click the link...it's in big letters at the top of the page.

Ok let me spell it out for you. A lot of hate in this thread was based on the false claim that someone from Microsoft stated "Xbox One is built for advertising". Nowhere in the article does it actually state that anyone ever said this. What the person from Microsoft said was "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind".

THESE PHRASES ARE NOT EQUAL.

Reasonable reaction to Microsoft stating "Xbox One is built for advertising":
WTF!!! ...various outrage...

Reasonable reaction to "[Xbox One] is going to have advertising in mind":
Well duh, what else would anyone expect based on what they already did with the 360. This is news?

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Don't jump to conclusions based on headlines. They're usually written to grab as much attention as possible by intentionally misleading people.

If thats the best defense for the Xbox you can think up then sonny, the battle was lost before there was even a fight. "...is going to have advertising in mind" Really? Really? How about having the gamer in mind? How about having the consumer in mind? LoL, some people...

I have a nifty blue line!

43. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 21:54 Frags4Fun

Creston wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 11:14:
The Xbone-eighty is truly becoming the joke of the decade. Oh, how I'd LOVE to see Steve Ballmer's dumb-ass face every time MS has to backscrabble some more from their "WE ARE MICROSOFT! YOU WILL FUCKING LOVE OUR RESTRICTIONS AND WHAT LITTLE ELSE WE GIVE YOU!" miserable cuntiness.

Also, trust them, guys! C'mon! Microsoft will protect you from advertising abuse. You know, like they protect your 360, which now takes like a minute and a half just to boot to the fucking dashboard, because of the ads. Serve and Protect, that's Microsoft's motto. Rolleyes

I seriously hope every single twit who buys one of these pieces of shit is fucking BURIED in ads. I want the xbone controller to fucking VOMIT ads on their legs.

Creston

I'm not sure how anyone can trust MS since they gave the NSA secret backdoor access to all versions of Windows. I find it fascinating that this story has received very little attention even though it potentially impacts every person who has ever used Windows. I bet that they gave them the same access to xbox.

42. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 20:34 Cutter

I can hardly wait until Joe Fucktard consumer who pays no attention to anything in the world around him buys this and loads it up to see all this advertising shit. Gonna' be a lotta' angry Joe Fucktard's out there.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

41. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 20:23 xXBatmanXx

Xbox One is "built for advertising", but Microsoft will "protect the user from any sort of abuse."

Thank you for stopping by, the bullshit of the week brought to you by Microsoft.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

40. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 19:59 NegaDeath

wtf_man wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 19:50:

I forced myself to watch all of it. I had a wtf face the entire time. I don't know if this "feature" will be part of the One since its a 2 year old video. The fact there are people working there who think its a good idea is enough to keep me away.

Adbox One, no thank you.

39. Re: Independence Day Consolidation Jul 4, 2013, 19:50 wtf_man

They haven't been hiding their intentions here but you go on and pick that nit. There are several other examples. Face it, the Xbox One is being built as an advertising platform as much as it is for any other function. It's literally built into every major feature front in the system.

That video is disgusting. And who on early would want "friends" who spam you with ads? It's like marketings wet dream, but has no basis in reality. There's no way in hell I'd pass along an ad to my friends, as I value them a million times more than some stupid assed advertising. And I know they wouldn't appreciate it (hell, I wouldn't), so I would never do it.

58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo