Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

World of Warcraft Movie Status

Dark Horizons has an update on the state of the proposed World of Warcraft movie, as Legendary Pictures' Thomas Tull answered a question about the MMORPG adaptation at a Pacific Rim press conference. We haven't heard about the project since the news that Duncan Jones will direct, and Tull admits "we don't know how to make a movie out of 'Warcraft," and the time they are taking is "because we absolutely don't want to screw it up." He also says the idea of some studio execs that the movie will succeed if everyone who plays buys a ticket is "an incredibly poor way to make a movie." It's also a problem that will solve itself if they continue to hesitate, as the game's population is down to 8.3 million as last we heard after peaking at 12 million in 2010. Here's were things stand as of now:

And I think we're getting close to a place where we're ready to go. And when the script is finished, and when we feel like, 'Does this stand on its own, and is it great?' Then we'll start filming. We're not quite there yet. The next two years are going to be pretty exciting."

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 10:31 Eirikrautha

InBlack wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 06:37:
I dont know, spending hunderds of millions of dollars on CGI for something that two guys in rubber suits can do for a significantly less amount of money (and for 2000x the Cheeze!) isnt exactly paying homage to these films. Its paying homage to Michael Bay!

OK, now that was funny...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 06:37 InBlack

I dont know, spending hunderds of millions of dollars on CGI for something that two guys in rubber suits can do for a significantly less amount of money (and for 2000x the Cheeze!) isnt exactly paying homage to these films. Its paying homage to Michael Bay!  

I have a nifty blue line!

35. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 06:11 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 04:34:

When I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim it didnt look like a Godzilla homage. It looked like a very serious flick about sea monsters taking over the world. In fact it looked like a Christopher Nolan adaptation of Godzilla which is why I will repeat myself again, WTF is Del Toro thinking????!!!

Wherein InBlack forgets to put his glasses on. You didn't get a Godzilla vibe watching those trailers? Monsters, standing on two legs, smashing buildings and bridges, monster and robot exchanging blows. It's like Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla with modern effects.

If you have any doubts watch Del Toro talk about it.

Will this be a Nolan version of Godzilla? Probably not. Will it still be awesome? As much as I've seen so far, it looks like it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

34. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 04:34 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:34:
InBlack wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:25:
Also Pacific Rim. What the hell? Giant robots against giant sea monsters? What the fuck was Del Toro thinking....

I know, RIGHT?? Del Toro usually makes such serious movies!

Hellboy - a World War I drama about a young boy caught in the no man's land between the French and German lines and his struggle for survival.

Pan's Labyrinth - a Greek political drama set in Athens 2500 years ago.

Mimic - A gritty thriller set in 80s New York in which a serial killer imitates his victims before killing them.

Blade II - Movie detailing the second half of the War of the Roses.

Blade II was utter shit (had no idea Del Toro made it), Mimic is a great Sci-fi horror, Pan's Labyrinth is fucking awesome and definitely not cheezy and Hellboy I and II were comic book adaptations.

When I saw the trailer for Pacific Rim it didnt look like a Godzilla homage. It looked like a very serious flick about sea monsters taking over the world. In fact it looked like a Christopher Nolan adaptation of Godzilla which is why I will repeat myself again, WTF is Del Toro thinking????!!!

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 04:03 Styrbjorn

I can see it now..

More DOTs!!
Whelps! Handle it!

32. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 4, 2013, 01:20 SlimRam

• Color Me Uninterested

• We Did Not Ask For This

• You See What I Did There?
  •  

"Angels with silver wings, shouldn't know suffering, I wish I could take the pain for you

If God has a master plan, that only He understands, I hope it's your eyes He's seeing through"

Depeche Mode - Precious

31. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 22:40 flashbak420

It is 2013 after all, why not make yet another origin story? Its safe, can attract new people to the IP and would have pretty much zero opportunity to mess with what the dev team has planned.  

30. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 19:11 Wallshadows

The problem I have is that it appears they are dead-set on continuity between what will be happening further in to the game to tie in to the movie. The reason why they dumped Raimi was because they veto'd his script after it was penned because it was not involved with the main story so, for me, they want to keep it all together.

In all honesty, I will not be surprised if Blizzard uses the movie as they do with the books and use it as a method to fill in the blanks of the story rather than to incorporate them in to the game which has been a big issues (for me) since the end of WotLK to cash in on. We're likely on the brink of being told to watch the movie and read the book in order to understand the hamfisted plot within the game.

Unfortunately, they're doing a fantastic job at killing off pivotal characters. So much so that it'll eventually become as shallow as their current story is now, filled with characters and events you don't really give a shit about that it may as well should be its own movie of a different era and that means they trashed Raimi for nothing and missed their window of opportunity.

Either way, this will still rake in 800 million dollars on the name alone. It could be two hours of watching Metzen take a shit and people would still pay to see it.

29. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 18:09 shihonage

How do you make a movie about a nonsensical theme park?  

28. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 17:59 jdreyer

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 17:13:
    Nothing about a World of Warcraft movie makes sense to me. Video game movies suck. Even the "good" ones are still less than B-rate trash. People aren't going to run out to see this. Also, Duncan Jones. How did he go from Moon, which was brilliant, to this? It's a mindfuck.

The key to making a good game movie is to tell a good story in the game world. I think to this point, that not many top notch script writers have been attracted to game movies. Hopefully that will change with games rising in prominence and popularity.

27. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 17:19 MoreLuckThanSkill

Mad Max RW wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 17:13:
    Nothing about a World of Warcraft movie makes sense to me. Video game movies suck. Even the "good" ones are still less than B-rate trash. People aren't going to run out to see this. Also, Duncan Jones. How did he go from Moon, which was brilliant, to this? It's a mindfuck.

It's possible, if very unlikely, that he could end up making a great film. Aside from that, I assume he got a dumptruck full of money on his lawn to make this movie.

Also, see the Hitman movie. Olga Kurylenko. *Drops Mic, walks off*

26. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 17:13 Mad Max RW

25. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 16:56 Hellcinder

Their window of opportunity closed already. It's the fixing the barn door after the horses have left. I remember when the Dungeons and Dragons movie came out. The people who made it had no idea what to do with it as well. In fact anyone who says they have no idea what to do with it should just walk away before they screw up their reputations.

Just don't do it.

24. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 14:37 Dagnamit

jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:34:
    Also Pacific Rim. What the hell? Giant robots against giant sea monsters? What the fuck was Del Toro thinking....

Hellboy - a World War I drama about a young boy caught in the no man's land between the French and German lines and his struggle for survival.

Mimic - A gritty thriller set in 80s New York in which a serial killer imitates his victims before killing them.

LOL. +1

23. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:34 jdreyer

22. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:32 Ceribaen

NKD wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:22:
    jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:11:
    nin wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 10:29:

I'll say it again: It's either going to be totally awesome, or totally cheesy.

As someone who, like Del Toro, grew up on a steady diet of Godzilla and Gamera movies, I expect it to be both totally awesome AND totally cheesy!

Yup. It's just supposed to be a fun robot vs. monster movie that doesn't take itself too seriously. Anyone expecting a Christopher Nolan cynicism fest will be disappointed.

Actually... there is supposed to be a deeper element to it, something to do with why the robots are controlled by two pilots.

BUT I think everyone who is wanting to see it, just wants to see a fun robot vs monster movie The 3D trailer I saw before Man of Steel the other week has me wanting to go find it at an IMAX theatre.

21. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:27 jdreyer

Xero wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 11:31:
    Wallshadows wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 11:28:
    In comparison, Pacific Rim can't be worse than Atlantic Rim.

LoL. coming to a Netflix near you.

Wow, that was three or four times cheesier than Del Toro's movie.

You have to wonder how they're able to get away with such a blatant ripoff.

20. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:22:
    In another 2 years WoW will be completely irrelevant. Typical Hollywood always behind the curve.

1. I'm sure that Blizzard will continue to milk the WoW universe far into the future.

2. Aliens was made 25 years ago, yet we're still making games on it. If a IP has a good lore like WoW, it will always be ripe for storytelling.

19. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:22 Cutter

In another 2 years WoW will be completely irrelevant. Typical Hollywood always behind the curve.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

18. Re: World of Warcraft Movie Status Jul 3, 2013, 13:22 jdreyer

Xero wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 09:51:
    I can't imagine any other way to make this than a full feature CGI film which in this case would probably play out the same way the Final Fantasy Spirits Within movie did.

The problem with FFSW wasn't the CG, it was the story which was absolutely stupid. I'm sure if the WoW movies is all CG, even cartoony CG, it will be fine if write good dialog, characters, and story.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo