Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

44. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 18:22 FloorPie

NegaDeath wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 16:00:
Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

And if having a hyphenated name is a tradition in her family?

Then she's likely from high class/nobility (they're the ones who usually hyphenated in the past for political/business reasons) and probably even more of a stuck up bitch than your standard whiny feminist.

Look, a woman who won't take my name, is not worthy of marriage to me, especially not in our current legal environment. If some folks are ok with it, thats fine with me, its not my marriage. I've seen it work just fine for some marriages, usually "blended" family situations and in DINK situations its usually a harbinger of eventual divorce and financial ruin for one or both parties.

So, personally I won't marry a woman who refuses to take my name, at least legally. Otherwise, what is the point of the marriage contract? Its already watered down to nothing due to divorce laws. Will my kids have my name or some hypenated wannabe nobility nonsense?

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2013, 18:28.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

43. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 16:33 Beamer

Verno wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 15:14:
The military and police have nothing to do with marriage and you have been proven demonstrably wrong on both the "rules" and "customs" of society.

They enter into it voluntarily, like marriage. And yes, a great deal of those customs are predicated on tradition. Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

So now a woman keeping her name, even adding the other one with a hyphen, is causing fatherless children?

Dude, I'm sure you break plenty of "traditions."

But why is this one so important? Why would YOU not change your name? What if your girlfriend was a physicist who had written dozens of papers. If she changes her name, what happens when she's Googled? Do those papers show up? Nope. Now it may as well be as if an entirely different person wrote them. Yeah, fine, people who know her know, but people she's looking to get hired by? They don't.

It's totally backwards to expect that a woman be forced to in order to:
1) show her love for someone else
2) gain the legal benefits of marriage

You're an old man yelling at a cloud here.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

42. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 16:23 nin

With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

wow...I give that an 8 outta 10.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

41. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 16:18 NegaDeath

Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

And if having a hyphenated name is a tradition in her family?

40. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 16:00 Cutter

The military and police have nothing to do with marriage and you have been proven demonstrably wrong on both the "rules" and "customs" of society.

They enter into it voluntarily, like marriage. And yes, a great deal of those customs are predicated on tradition. Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

39. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 15:35 Beamer

Who cares about her freaking last name? She's a destroyer of User Interfaces that keeps moving up the chain because Ballmer is a fucking IDIOT.

Yeah, pretty much I'm not sure why someone with zero experience in gaming should be heading up the Xbox division either.

Someone without a passion for the product shouldn't lead the product.

-------------

38. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 15:14 Verno

Who cares about her freaking last name? She's a destroyer of User Interfaces that keeps moving up the chain because Ballmer is a fucking IDIOT.

Yeah, pretty much I'm not sure why someone with zero experience in gaming should be heading up the Xbox division either.

So I guess the military and the cops should start dressing however they like because you know, fuck tradition. That whole need to have societal norms and cultural identity is just so overrated. Jesus, some of you sound like pot smoking teens in the 60s. Grow up.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

37. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:53 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 14:42:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 14:24:
Give me a break Cutter. Societal rules change all the time on our quest to create an ever more egalitarian society. By your logic we should still have slaves and women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Just the other day you cheered the repeal of DOMA, yet you oppose women keeping/hyphenating their names? It's completely inconsistent.

No, it isn't. One is about tradition and the other is about bigotry. No one is forcing you marry or join an organization, but if you do that means your choosing to accept its traditions. So your analogy to slavery and women voting is completely off base.

Tradition:

1a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)
b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable

2: the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

3: cultural continuity in social attitudes, customs, and institutions

4: characteristic manner, method, or style

So I guess the military and the cops should start dressing however they like because you know, fuck tradition. That whole need to have societal norms and cultural identity is just so overrated. Jesus, some of you sound like pot smoking teens in the 60s. Grow up.

Tradition leads to lots of wars... See religion for the same things. Last name, like who are you to say what another should do in something like this? And why would you even really care about another like that? You have to have much bigger issues to deal with.

And stop slipper sloppy/unreleated examples, like uniforms. Those are paid professional jobs vs a totally civilian/personal nature.

36. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:53 Beamer

Give me a break Cutter. Societal rules change all the time on our quest to create an ever more egalitarian society. By your logic we should still have slaves and women shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Just the other day you cheered the repeal of DOMA, yet you oppose women keeping/hyphenating their names? It's completely inconsistent.

No, it isn't. One is about tradition and the other is about bigotry. No one is forcing you marry or join an organization, but if you do that means your choosing to accept its traditions. So your analogy to slavery and women voting is completely off base.

Tradition:

1a : an inherited, established, or customary pattern of thought, action, or behavior (as a religious practice or a social custom)
b : a belief or story or a body of beliefs or stories relating to the past that are commonly accepted as historical though not verifiable

2: the handing down of information, beliefs, and customs by word of mouth or by example from one generation to another without written instruction

Tradition: marriage being a man and a woman of the same race.

Reality: marriage traditions are stupid.

Grandpa Cutter walked uphill both ways to work, and back then a woman was expected to stay at home, have babies and make sure dinner was on the table when Cutter got home from work at 5:15 sharp every single day!

-------------

35. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:48 NegaDeath

So I guess the military and the cops should start dressing however they like because you know, fuck tradition.

Police and military uniforms exist because of necessity and function not tradition.

34. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:43 avianflu

if indeed she was the designer of the ribbon UI with the vague icons that could mean anything?

I do not like her.

33. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:42 Cutter

Tradition:

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

32. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:38 wtf_man

31. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:35 Beamer

Where are these "rules" written?  
-------------

30. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:24 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 14:05:
Verno wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 13:49:
There is this weird, insecure view from a lot of men that a woman who doesn't take on your last name is somehow slighting you or not fully committed to the relationship. Ironically that lack of trust implies the same thing about the other person.

It's not weird because it's the entire premise of marriage. So no, they're not fully committed to the relationship in that case. You play a game, play by the rules or don't bother playing. It's really that simple. You don't create new ones as you go along because you don't think certain rules should apply to you. There has to be a standard or it's otherwise meaningless. Hey everyone I'm marrying a lampshade because I can do whatever the hell I want! Anarchy! Nothing means anything because you can replace any meaning you want for any word or system! Yay for chaos!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

29. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:20 jdreyer

Before we get too down on Julie Larson-Green, I have a question. While I abhor the tile UI on the desktop, it's actually an excellent tablet interface. Was she the one who decided to force it onto the desktop? Or was she just in charge of building the O/S and someone else (Ballmer) decided it would be forced onto the desktop? Also, wasn't she in charge of O/S when Windows 7 was built? She also oversaw MS Office 2007 which was a dramatic improvement over Office 2003.

As I understand it she'll be in charge of all MS hardware: Xbox, Surface, etc. However, her forte is UX, so I'm not sure why she's being taken out of the software side of things. She probably isn't the best choice to head up XBox, but it may not be b/c she's incompetent, just that her strengths don't match that product.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

28. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:16 HorrorScope

Prez wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 14:10:
I used to be of a mind that if a woman loves a man enough to marry him then she should at least love him enough to take hs name as tradition dictates. Then I thought about it. Women taking their husband's name is a tradition started when the woman did nothing but stayed home and cooked and cleaned house while the man went out to work. In an age when there are just as many working/professional women as men it is an outdated practice I think. Kind of like marriage really. Except you have to marry to get a lot of the benefits you wouldn't get otherwise.

Somewhere along the like I've taken a stance to look at myself in terms of "getting old". If I find my self staunch on something because "that is they way it has always been" or I'm repeating the same old things that happen generation to generation between people, I try to catch myself and stop it. Like yelling in a household, for a minor example. My parents yelled, theirs yelled, mine... no yelling for several reasons, one simple example.

I try to break out of that because it is my bad, it means I'm old and closed minded, unable to see a pattern and learn. Obviously whatever the two people work out for their name is of no big deal at all to me and shouldn't be to others.

This is side of Pride that gets it listed under Deadly Sin.

27. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:12 Verno

It's not weird because it's the entire premise of marriage. So no, they're not fully committed to the relationship in that case.

Yeah no, this is wrong on many levels as we've already spelled out. It's not correct by the legal terms of marriage (the rules and standards you brought up) and it's simply antiquated thinking from previous generations. The text of your last name has nothing to do with sacrifice and emotional commitment.

I used to be of a mind that if a woman loves a man enough to marry him then she should at least love him enough to take hs name as tradition dictates. Then I thought about it. Women taking their husband's name is a tradition started when the woman did nothing but stayed home and cooked and cleaned house while the man went out to work. In an age when there are just as many working/professional women as men it is an outdated practice I think. Kind of like marriage really. Except you have to marry to get a lot of the benefits you wouldn't get otherwise.

Exactly, well said Prez.

Playing: Alien Isolation, Legend of Grimrock 2, Super Mario 3D World
Watching: A Good Marriage, The Knick, Gotham

26. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:11 HorrorScope

You play a game, play by the rules or don't bother playing. It's really that simple. You don't create new ones as you go along because you don't think certain rules should apply to you.

Sometimes I wonder if that is the difference between paycheck to paycheck and financial security. It seems those with more money, actually do in fact make the rules up as they go along. Making a new rule != breaking the law. This is where "creativity", "vision", "risk" comes into play.

25. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 14:10 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo