Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

64. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 08:43 Verno

mag wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 02:19:
Hm hm, haven't been to BN in a while, let's see what's happen--what the crap is happening in this thread?

A few outdated, single buffoons trying to tell everyone else what the institution of marriage is all about. A concept that unsurprisingly, they have never actually experienced. The tl;dr is "get back in the kitchen and take muh name while yer at it!!"

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

63. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 06:21 jdreyer

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 21:42:
IMO, Windows Surface is lightyears ahead of iPad and Android tablets because of the UI. I think she has done a great job getting everything to work the same on all devices. Both Apple and Google can't even do that. So I don't understand the harshness here. Give them a chance, it's the first release of the multi-platform OS. It will mature with time to please everyone. If anyone is on the right track for the future, it's MS. Not Apple, not Google.

I remember not too long ago when everyone was bashing the Metro UI. Now all you see are websites popping up with the same flat theme. You see Javascript APIs that are based on Metro. Even Apple's next iOS release has a flat UI... LIKE METRO! DOH!

Metro is a good UI, I agree, FOR A FCKING TABLET. Who made the choice to force it on the desktop where it keeps me from navigating in an efficent manner?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

62. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 06:15 jdreyer

FloorPie wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 18:22:

So, personally I won't marry a woman who refuses to take my name, at least legally. Otherwise, what is the point of the marriage contract?

Yup, I agree. That's the entire point of marriage: to make a woman change her last name. There's nothing else to it.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

61. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 04:44 InBlack

Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 14:35:
Where are these "rules" written?

Well the whole marriage issue aside, most people I meet and work with profesionally (and in my line of work I meet a shitload of people every day) who happen to have a hyphenated surname or two surnames are stuck up snobs or douchebags. (Both male and female) They are usually not very polite and more often than not have strange requests and demands for no other reason that I can figure out but simply because they can. I dont know why that is but its definitely something that I notice on a very regular basis.

With that said there are a number of people with regular names who also fall into that category and this is just something I noticed, its not an empirical scientific experiment or anything...

I have a nifty blue line!

60. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 02:44 Prez

mag wrote on Jul 4, 2013, 02:19:
Hm hm, haven't been to BN in a while, let's see what's happen--what the crap is happening in this thread?

LOL!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

59. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 02:19 mag

58. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 4, 2013, 01:31 LittleMe

Yeah the traditional view of marriage is quasi-slavery. Many people want to own other people and are conditioned from childhood to continue the practice. Take my name, bitch.

My wife's career would be damaged if she changed her name. It wasn't that hard to drop my ego and she kept her name. I think Prez said it here previously... Modern income situations are entirely different. Adapt. #deal with it.

Owning people is wrong. Women around the world are treated brutally by men who own women, but call them wives. Even the less cruel examples of marriage are often a type of ownership. The legal system here treats it as a type of ownership, imo.

I'm all for the sanctity of the family unit though. It is vital. Beware those who seek to eliminate the family. That's just another form of slavery (north korea for example).

Perpetual debt is slavery.

57. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 22:48 Beamer

FloorPie wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 21:08:
Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 19:16:
NegaDeath wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 16:18:
Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 16:00:
Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

And if having a hyphenated name is a tradition in her family?

Then she's likely from high class/nobility (they're the ones who usually hyphenated in the past for political/business reasons) and probably even more of a stuck up bitch than your standard whiny feminist.

Look, a woman who won't take my name, is not worthy of marriage to me, especially not in our current legal environment. If some folks are ok with it, thats fine with me, its not my marriage. I've seen it work just fine for some marriages, usually "blended" family situations and in DINK situations its usually a harbinger of eventual divorce and financial ruin for one or both parties.

So, personally I won't marry a woman who refuses to take my name, at least legally. Otherwise, what is the point of the marriage contract? Its already watered down to nothing due to divorce laws. Will my kids have my name or some hypenated wannabe nobility nonsense?

This is a giant bucket of "waaaah." A marriage has no point unless she takes your name. Jesus. So the entire purpose of a marriage is to put your last name on some "stuck up bitch?"

You're a classy man. I'm sure they were fighting for someone with your progressive views.

No, the entire point is to create a family. Unity might be a good thing there. A woman who won't take a man's name is signaling that she quite possibly will put her career first over him and their (if any) kids. Its like marrying a guy you know can't keep his dick in his pants and then actually expecting him to be faithful once he says "I do".

Tell me, what does a man get from marrying a woman these days? The state sees to it that she's going to be financially compensated should the contract fail (most of the time), what does the guy get out of it? His kids are legit? That hardly matters anymore among "progressives". Why bother with the whole ceremony? Just shack up? Of course this doesn't benefit the state much, so many governments are going back to common law marriage type setups. Sire a kid and live with the mother for a year? You're married even if you didn't get the state approved license. All legal requirements are in effect regarding divorce laws and child support.

You really have no clue what benefits there are for marriage?
What happens if the person you've been with for 7 years gets hit by a bus (keep in mind, "common law marriage" is a bit outdated.)
What happens if she is a vegetable. Don't you want the rights to choose what happens? Don't you want to be allowed into the hospital at all hours? Those are rights that go to spouses, not girlfriends.

How about taxation?
How about husband-wife privilege (as in legal privilege?)
How about letting the entire world know that you're totally devoted to someone (something that does not require a name change.)
What about estate planning? Gift tax?
What about pension continuation?
What about health care coverage?
What about company paid time off due to family emergencies?

I guess none of this matters, all that matters is to "create a family." Apparently, to you, a family isn't a family unless there are kids, eh? So does this mean the sterile shouldn't be allowed to marry? And how is it not a family if there's a hyphenation.

You guys are being neandertals. Again, consider the woman that has written dozens of papers. When she changes her name, she loses that legacy. It is no longer in her google trail.

It's mind blowing to me that it's 2013 and people think it's perfectly ok to make a woman choose marriage or career, a decision men almost never have to make.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

56. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 22:43 Redmask

IMO, Windows Surface is lightyears ahead of iPad and Android tablets because of the UI. I think she has done a great job getting everything to work the same on all devices.

I think the many unhappy users of Windows 8, the lack of any meaningful adoption of Windows Phone and the flop of Surface tablets speak to the opposite of what you're saying. The market doesn't seem to be happy with Microsofts offerings. I'm not sure anyone cares about device unification anyway, I could care less if my phone uses the same apps as my TV, gaming console or computer.

The flat user interface sucks, I thought we moved past that in Windows 3.1.

This comment was edited on Jul 3, 2013, 22:48.

55. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 22:23 HorrorScope

If anyone is on the right track for the future, it's MS. Not Apple, not Google.

LOL

About the part I snipped, perhaps it is good for their phone and pad, I don't have them, I have a desktop and it doesn't fit me. Why don't I count?

54. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 22:21 HorrorScope

FloorPie wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 21:08:
Just shack up? Of course this doesn't benefit the state much, so many governments are going back to common law marriage type setups. Sire a kid and live with the mother for a year? You're married even if you didn't get the state approved license. All legal requirements are in effect regarding divorce laws and child support.

Ohio repealed their state law on this, there is no common law marriage... or so they told me during my visit.

53. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 21:42 Steele Johnson

IMO, Windows Surface is lightyears ahead of iPad and Android tablets because of the UI. I think she has done a great job getting everything to work the same on all devices. Both Apple and Google can't even do that. So I don't understand the harshness here. Give them a chance, it's the first release of the multi-platform OS. It will mature with time to please everyone. If anyone is on the right track for the future, it's MS. Not Apple, not Google.

I remember not too long ago when everyone was bashing the Metro UI. Now all you see are websites popping up with the same flat theme. You see Javascript APIs that are based on Metro. Even Apple's next iOS release has a flat UI... LIKE METRO! DOH!

52. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 21:30 Redmask

If you're getting married and looking for some sort of upside in the event of failure then you have already failed at marriage. Partnership and love are why you get married, you don't think of the consequences of a potentially failed marriage if you've ever truly experienced those things.

If a woman refusing to take a mans name signals something then what does it signal that most men would never consider taking a womans name?

Face it, 'traditional' marriage is an outdated concept based on historical misogyny. I'm a guy and not a feminist so whatever, this doesn't bug me that much but you can't really defend it with a straight face.

51. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 21:16 Prez

Tell me, what does a man get from marrying a woman these days?

Almost nothing, which is why I have come to believe marriage has become a woefully outdated practice in the US at least. However, I am married, and I believe in honoring my promises, so I am in it to stay. The thing is, there are cases where the woman is the bread winner and the man stays at home and tends house and kids. If the spirit of the original tradition is to be honored, the man should actually take the woman's name. Which is why it is an outdated tradition. It was fine when professional men and home economics-minded women were the norm, but that changed long ago.

Wow, this topic went off the rails!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

50. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 21:12 nin

A woman who won't take a man's name is signaling that she quite possibly will put her career first over him and their (if any) kids. Its like marrying a guy you know can't keep his dick in his pants and then actually expecting him to be faithful once he says "I do".

Wow, this gets weirder and weirder...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 21:08 FloorPie

Beamer wrote on Jul 3, 2013, 19:16:
Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

Then she's likely from high class/nobility (they're the ones who usually hyphenated in the past for political/business reasons) and probably even more of a stuck up bitch than your standard whiny feminist.

Look, a woman who won't take my name, is not worthy of marriage to me, especially not in our current legal environment. If some folks are ok with it, thats fine with me, its not my marriage. I've seen it work just fine for some marriages, usually "blended" family situations and in DINK situations its usually a harbinger of eventual divorce and financial ruin for one or both parties.

So, personally I won't marry a woman who refuses to take my name, at least legally. Otherwise, what is the point of the marriage contract? Its already watered down to nothing due to divorce laws. Will my kids have my name or some hypenated wannabe nobility nonsense?

This is a giant bucket of "waaaah." A marriage has no point unless she takes your name. Jesus. So the entire purpose of a marriage is to put your last name on some "stuck up bitch?"

You're a classy man. I'm sure they were fighting for someone with your progressive views.

No, the entire point is to create a family. Unity might be a good thing there. A woman who won't take a man's name is signaling that she quite possibly will put her career first over him and their (if any) kids. Its like marrying a guy you know can't keep his dick in his pants and then actually expecting him to be faithful once he says "I do".

Tell me, what does a man get from marrying a woman these days? The state sees to it that she's going to be financially compensated should the contract fail (most of the time), what does the guy get out of it? His kids are legit? That hardly matters anymore among "progressives". Why bother with the whole ceremony? Just shack up? Of course this doesn't benefit the state much, so many governments are going back to common law marriage type setups. Sire a kid and live with the mother for a year? You're married even if you didn't get the state approved license. All legal requirements are in effect regarding divorce laws and child support.

48. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 20:37 Verno

They enter into it voluntarily, like marriage. And yes, a great deal of those customs are predicated on tradition. Society needs it cultural norms and traditions. We're tribalistic creatures and to move from one tribe to another means some sacrifice. With people like you shitting on tradition it's no wonder most kids grow up fatherless and problems for society.

Those are careers, not a relationship with another human being. I'm amazed someone even has to explain this but it's not the same thing as a marriage, the comparison doesn't even make sense on a basic level. First you were on about rules which we disproved, now you're shifting the goalposts to traditions. Your poorly thought out vagueries manage to ignore that our societies are a melting pot of traditions these days and even "back in the day" traditions are not a set, static concept and meld themselves with time. The text in a name means little, both the law and society now reflect that. I notice you have no problem complaining about traditions you don't approve of either. It was once tradition for men to do a lot of dumb shit too but guess what? Times change.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

47. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 20:27 NewMaxx

I think it was Shakespeare who said, "a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

A name isn't all that important. In the old days, a name generally told you only basic information about a person. Namely, from whom they derived (hence, -son), what they did (e.g., Smith), or if nobility it would denote the dynasty.

A woman took the man's name primarily for the same reason she would today: legality. The marriage between two families was at its heart a legal contract, as it implied inheritance. Nowadays, at least in most developed nations, women and men are functionally equivalent when it comes to the legality of inheritance.

Now that's not to say it isn't nice to keep with tradition. It's also okay for someone to want that equality in a relationship. The problem is when you get progressive people who feel like their occupation overshadows their spouse enough to flaunt it for no reason other than PR. In other words, a lot of women in the business field do it to look tougher against their male competitors, which to me is a bit hypocritical.

46. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 19:16 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Morning Mobilization Jul 3, 2013, 18:32 HorrorScope

Look, a woman who won't take my name, is not worthy of marriage to me, especially not in our current legal environment. If some folks are ok with it, thats fine with me, its not my marriage.

See there you have your wants and needs, but end it correctly with... let others do what they want, this isn't hurting a darn thing.

If my wife started bringing in more than me and was ok with that... I'd take her last name or whatever. In my world, that only happens in dreams.

64 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo