Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 3, 2013, 09:03 Verno

The hilarious thing is that there are people who are still acting like anyone with a security concern about Kinect is a paranoid basement dweller. It's a camera gimmick, it has no need for a permanent connection to the console unless they explicitly plan on harvesting some sort of information. There is no other reason to require its attachment when a simple system toggle could suffice.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 3, 2013, 08:07 gray

Julio wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 17:57:
Verno wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:02:
Having all of your information harvested by a camera isn't spying guys. Geez stop being paranoid, Microsoft takes privacy very seriously and would never share your information without the permission you expressly grant them by turning on the Xbox and signing in.

Microsoft would never change a few words in the 50,000 word EULA to allow them to violate your privacy would they?

Good try for Microsoft putting all the blame on Mattrick. Celebrity endorsements are probably next on the list of lies to try to make us buy the Xflop 180.

Microsoft provides information to the PRISM program, it's pretty clear they are going to be able to access the Kinect camera through the web portal. No different to live gmail access etc. Man that would have sounded super paranoid before the leaks, but we know it's reality now.

47. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 19:35 crypto

E256: why PS4 is your next console – and the titanic errors on Xbox One's road to ruin - Edge Online.

This is not an article but an advertisement for an article in a print magazine.

46. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 19:03 Redmask

About the only decent functionality I've heard about is stuff like talking to your party in Mass Effect, something you don't need a Kinect to do and that would be very limited and stupid for more than a few minutes. Too many game genres require precise input control and people simply don't want to wave their arms around unless its playing Dance Central 5 Sports Rivals Wii or whatever.  

45. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 18:53 Creston

Tumbler wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 16:23:
It's going to be really hard for MS to justify that thing if they don't have some ace up their sleaves we haven't seen.

Well, the ace up their sleeves is that "This time it's really awesome! Now it can really do all those things we already said it could do when we first released it three years ago! This time it's al ferreals! Seriously guys! Kinect 2.0 makes 1.0 look like a toy! OH PLEASE GOD SOMEONE SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT IT(*)!!! "

(*) Apparently the Kinect has been of some use in the remote control medical field, so kudos for that.

Creston

44. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 17:57 Julio

Having all of your information harvested by a camera isn't spying guys. Geez stop being paranoid, Microsoft takes privacy very seriously and would never share your information without the permission you expressly grant them by turning on the Xbox and signing in.

Microsoft would never change a few words in the 50,000 word EULA to allow them to violate your privacy would they?

Good try for Microsoft putting all the blame on Mattrick. Celebrity endorsements are probably next on the list of lies to try to make us buy the Xflop 180.

43. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 17:53 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:00:
You don't even have to scan! They include a code in the box, and you look at the code, think about it, and kinect can determine it, based on your breathing, blood pressure, and how tight your sphincter is!

It's fucking AMAZING!!!!!!!

Okay, that totally cracked me up and I got the evil eye from coworkers.

Laugh2

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

42. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 17:14 PropheT

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:13:
Right, you don't need the most powerful hardware to be successful, just look at the Wii. That's the least of MS's problems right now.

The problem there is that the Wii stopped selling years before their more powerful competitors did, never sold as much software in the first place to match the system sales, and the Wii U has already come out for their next generation and hasn't exactly torn up the sales charts. If anything, the Wii is a good example of being able to sell a system based on a popular gimmick but that you need the more powerful hardware in order to drive software sales through an extended console generation.

41. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 16:58 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 15:46:
Not in the Bing App, in search itself. Unreal, the software you paid for, getting mandated ads in a fucking service pack.

Seems fairly similar to Gold Live subscribers being showered with ads on their Xbox dashboards (which make the entire thing horrendously slow to boot up, I might add.)

Creston

I never see the ads, but the boot-up is inexcusable.
Boot, then load the ads. Fade them in.

Only reason to do it how they do it is either due to inept engineers (unlikely) or guaranteeing a chance to see the ads before you hit the button combination to take you away from them (more likely.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

40. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 16:44 avianflu

loved the PS2 but the shimmering effect on textures in virtually every game was terrible.

39. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 16:23 Tumbler

All I know is that I will never, ever buy an Xbox One unless they remove the pointless gimmick camera that has contributed nothing worthwhile to the platform.

It's going to be really hard for MS to justify that thing if they don't have some ace up their sleaves we haven't seen. The features it offers are a waste of money. The PS3 shipped with full backwards compatability and in very short order they had to rip that out so they could sell it at a competitive price.

MS could surprise us but there is nothing that indicates they have the talent to actually expoit that device. They're treating it like it's someone elses responsibility to sell it. After all this time they should have a killer app that uses kinect waiting in the wings. The fucking thing should come with a game that everyone is dying to play. If they can't deliver that they should remove the kinect or eat the $100 extra on price.

I think they're going to stay on course till this holiday season and then get slaughtered. Sony / PS3 style laughing at the piles of 180's sitting in stores.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 15:46 Creston

Not in the Bing App, in search itself. Unreal, the software you paid for, getting mandated ads in a fucking service pack.

Seems fairly similar to Gold Live subscribers being showered with ads on their Xbox dashboards (which make the entire thing horrendously slow to boot up, I might add.)

Creston

37. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 15:19 NegaDeath

Bing Ads on the Office Ribbon, comin up!

Don't worry, the Office Ribbon is DLC now anyways. The new "Metro" configuration uses gestures. Swipe right and then up 11cm to change to size 11 font, up 14cm for size 14 font, and so on. To create a text box simply draw a square....while holding ctrl-shift-printscrn. Its super intuitive.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 15:07 NeOCidE

That old "if the iPod was sold by Microsoft" video showing how they'd ruin the packaging is still spot on.

First time I've seen this. I laughed snorted!! Funny as fook

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

35. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 15:02 Verno

Dovetails nicely with Microsoft adding Bing Ads to Windows Search in 8.1. Not in the Bing App, in search itself. Unreal, the software you paid for, getting mandated ads in a fucking service pack. The Windows and Office groups used to be untouchable, it's clear the marketing folk run the company now. Bing Ads on the Office Ribbon, comin up!

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

34. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 15:00 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:57:
Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:50:
Pivot point, eh? Yeah? Really? Cereal? So I can have a spybox and MS' dick attitude for $100 more plus other ancillary expenses? Ummmm..................no.

But, but, but, but Cutter! You don't have to type in 25 digit game codes anymore! You can just scan them using kinect! That's worth $100 AND being spied on right there!

You don't even have to scan! They include a code in the box, and you look at the code, think about it, and kinect can determine it, based on your breathing, blood pressure, and how tight your sphincter is!

It's fucking AMAZING!!!!!!!

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

33. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 14:57 jdreyer

Cutter wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:50:
Pivot point, eh? Yeah? Really? Cereal? So I can have a spybox and MS' dick attitude for $100 more plus other ancillary expenses? Ummmm..................no.

But, but, but, but Cutter! You don't have to type in 25 digit game codes anymore! You can just scan them using kinect! That's worth $100 AND being spied on right there!

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

32. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 14:50 Cutter

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

31. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 14:47 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 14:00:
That old "if the iPod was sold by Microsoft" video showing how they'd ruin the packaging is still spot on.

I had never seen that! Just watched it, it's so fucking funny.

Creston

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 2, 2013, 14:42 NegaDeath

Oooh, this takes me back to some very old message board arguments.

But yes the GC was a great little system. The stuff Factor 5 (RIP) pulled off was amazing for that gen.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo