Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga

AllThingsD reports that Don Mattrick is leaving Microsoft where he had served as Xbox boss as president of their Interactive Entertainment unit to join Zynga, possibly to serve as CEO at the social game developer. This is unconfirmed at this point, and they attribute the report to "multiple sources close to the situation" and say an announcement could follow today's close of the financial markets. Thanks GamesIndustry International.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 2, 2013, 14:22 Verno

I see his posts quoted so rarely now, I think that most of the regulars must have him on ignore. Good riddance to bad rubbish. He can rail at himself and interact with no one.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 2, 2013, 11:44 Creston

Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:35:
RollinThundr wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:21:
So a few armchair quaterbacks on BN have it all figured out apparently. The guy was at EA almost since they were founded, and wasn't at MS very long at all. But Cutter and Creston surely have it figured out, he totally got fired.

Speaking of no-talent assclowns....

I used to work for Mattrick so I have some first-hand knowledge on the subject, and you don't. But hey, when has that ever stopped Trollin' Thunder from getting everything bass ackwards?

Everytime someone quotes one of his posts, it has my name in it; he's like a twelve year old child utterly utterly desperate for attention. The acrid stench of loneliness wafts off every single one of his posts. It must be so sad to have nothing else to do in your life besides troll an internet forum where you're on the majority of everyone's ignore list already.

Creston

35. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 2, 2013, 09:38 Verno

He was probably about to be shown the door (rumored to be on Ballmers hitlist) but had been courting other companies for awhile and knew to get out before he was unemployable.

We have a company for people who can't handle an Xbox One launch, it's called Zynga!

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

34. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 2, 2013, 08:25 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:35:
So a few armchair quaterbacks on BN have it all figured out apparently. The guy was at EA almost since they were founded, and wasn't at MS very long at all. But Cutter and Creston surely have it figured out, he totally got fired.

I used to work for Mattrick so I have some first-hand knowledge on the subject, and you don't. But hey, when has that ever stopped Trollin' Thunder from getting everything bass ackwards?

Do you work at MS now? Were you there? No? STFU already then. The guy was hired essentially before he was fired as you put it. I get the feeling ol Donny already had Zynga lined up.

33. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 20:51 Fantaz

Beamer wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:44:
Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:48:
Ahahahaha! Ho ho hee hee ha ha! Leaving my ass! He got shitcanned for sure. And why would Zynga want him? To help pick over the remains of its corpse? What a no-talent assclown!

If he got "shitcanned" he wouldn't have another job. I'm not saying he didn't deserve to be, or that the writing wasn't on the wall, or that he didn't go looking because he knew his time was limited, but I don't think he was fired here.

When someone is fired, there's a gap between employment. Here Zynga announced before Microsoft did, meaning Zynga poached him. And he's CEO and on the board, meaning they're most likely paying him a fortune (as was Microsoft, undoubtedly, but this is a position of more power. In a smaller pond.)

No way was he fired. But he likely jumped assuming he would be.

Apparently Mattrick was biking with Pincus already 2 months ago...

"In May, Mr. Gordon hosted a casual meeting at his house in Woodside to bring together their families. Mr. Pincus, brought along his daughters and his wife Ali Pincus, and Mr. Mattrick, a Canadian native, brought his wife to the gathering. After lunch, Mr. Pincus and Mr. Mattrick went for a bike ride, as they discussed what a partnership could look like and how it would work, this person said. During the courtship, Mr. Mattrick also spoke to Mr. Campbell, and other board members."

Source:
http://stream.wsj.com/story/latest-headlines/SS-2-63399/SS-2-266804/

He wasn't fired as much as we like to think of him as such. He resigned probably for greener pastures, where he won't get so much internet hate from Sony fanboys and the like.

32. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 19:48 wtf_man

SectorEffector wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:10:
I could be wrong, it's not official. It certainly is seems more official than this "buy a 360" slughead.

I was only saying that EA was looking at him as a possibility... not that they were trying to hire him for sure.

Perhaps just as interesting was the revelation that “interestingly, Mattrick has also been on the short list of the top execs being considered to run Electronic Arts.” EA has been without a permanent CEO since John Riccitiello stepped down, leaving longtime Xbox, Sega and industry executive (and current EA Chief Operating Officer) Peter Moore temporarily in charge.
Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft...

31. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 19:44 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:48:
Ahahahaha! Ho ho hee hee ha ha! Leaving my ass! He got shitcanned for sure. And why would Zynga want him? To help pick over the remains of its corpse? What a no-talent assclown!

If he got "shitcanned" he wouldn't have another job. I'm not saying he didn't deserve to be, or that the writing wasn't on the wall, or that he didn't go looking because he knew his time was limited, but I don't think he was fired here.

When someone is fired, there's a gap between employment. Here Zynga announced before Microsoft did, meaning Zynga poached him. And he's CEO and on the board, meaning they're most likely paying him a fortune (as was Microsoft, undoubtedly, but this is a position of more power. In a smaller pond.)

No way was he fired. But he likely jumped assuming he would be.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

30. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 19:35 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

29. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 19:10 SectorEffector

wtf_man wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 17:37:
SectorEffector wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:53:
He already has been at EA
"Mattrick served in a variety of leadership positions at Electronic Arts and prior to his retirement in 2006"

We're talking CEO at EA, though.

I guess I left that out due to this article : Here's the article

I could be wrong, it's not official. It certainly is seems more official than this "buy a 360" slughead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

28. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 18:24 Fantaz

NeOCidE wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:28:
For those of you without a constant Internet connection, we do have another device that's offline; it's called the Xbox 360.

Rofl.

What total tosser

The worst comment made from a game industry member at this years E3...

Just plain stupid.

27. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 18:07 Redmask

JediPunisher wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:33:
I am very surprised that the headline doesn't read...
Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Sony
... especially after the great job he did at E3 convincing Xbox fanboys to preorder the PS4.

He's a plant!

26. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 17:37 wtf_man

SectorEffector wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:53:
"Mattrick served in a variety of leadership positions at Electronic Arts and prior to his retirement in 2006"

We're talking CEO at EA, though.

25. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 17:31 Slashman

JediPunisher wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:33:
... especially after the great job he did at E3 convincing Xbox fanboys to preorder the PS4.

Riiight...because they want it to happen in the other direction now!

24. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 16:33 JediPunisher

23. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 16:14 avianflu

it is official -- nytimes published the news in the "bits" section.

There's a whole lotta turmoil happening at MS.

22. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 16:03 WaltC

nin wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:27:
1badmf wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:25:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:21:
Heh, Don Mattrick looks like the kind of tool that would cower before Steve Ballmer, yeah.

I never understood that whole thing anyway. If my boss threw a chair at me, shit would be ON. (and if you're not physical enough to want to fight the guy, then sue the living shit out of him.)

Creston

wait wait... that chair throwing thing actually happened? i thought that was just a rearranging-chairs-on-the-titanic type of joke.

It happened: the guy testified about it.

Yea, it happened according to this guy's statement--he said, she said, isn't it? It doesn't appear there were any witnesses, and the guy who made the statement isn't exactly impartial, is he? Most of all--this is a very minor civil-suit issue, anyway. He does make it clear, though, that Ballmer did not throw the chair *at him*...;) And Ballmer isn't on trial for anything and is accused of nothing. Ballmer's rant as described was addressed at Google, not the employee. That's the way it reads to me, anyhow...

But, this Mattrick rumor has all the earmarks of a rumor (as opposed to a fact.) I mean, "Zynga"? Come on--that's lame! Zynga is all but defunct and right now Mattrick has the credibility of a berserk moose. I mean, I can't even see Zynga hiring Mattrick--for what????

I would not be surprised to see all of these Microsoft phony-baloney's like Mattrick getting the ax at Microsoft, though. Sinofsky couldn't exit quickly enough for me--he looked like a cross between Jean Luc Picard and Bozo the Clown, if you ask me, and thought like one, too.

(More importantly, I'm a member of the Anti-bald League and president of the local chapter. We want to put all the phony baldies away somewhere--will only the real Bald People please stand up! Ballmer needs to watch out--does he shave it--his bald pate!--or doesn't he shave it? That is the question. Better put that razor down, Stevie boy, if you are using it--because if you are, we're coming for you, Stevie!)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

21. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 15:53 RollinThundr

wtf_man wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:47:
Redmask wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:32:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:26:
Goes from one sinking ship to another. About as stupid ass a move as I can think of. Of course he is not that bright to start with and Zynga people are not much better.

He didn't have much choice in the matter, he was on the chopping block anyway.

Well according some articles... he was in negotiation for this move before Ballmer's "restructure", and Zynga favors him for a track record of turning companies around. Also, I guess even EA was considering him.

I tend to hope things were accelerated since his "get a 360" comment.

I don't know why he would even consider EA, he was there for over a decade. EA isn't exactly in great shape financials wise these days either.

20. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 15:53 SectorEffector

wtf_man wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 15:47:
Goes from one sinking ship to another. About as stupid ass a move as I can think of. Of course he is not that bright to start with and Zynga people are not much better.

Well according some articles... he was in negotiation for this move before Ballmer's "restructure", and Zynga favors him for a track record of turning companies around. Also, I guess even EA was considering him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

19. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 15:47 wtf_man

18. Re: Report: Don Mattrick Leaving Microsoft for Zynga Jul 1, 2013, 15:32 Redmask

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo