Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Tech Bits

View
33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

33. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2013, 21:13 Axis

DX11 does not offer any performance boost over DX9 except in the overbloat you'd run for extremely high settings you would not have on DX9.

In fact the opposite, unless you have the beefier hardware, you shouldn't run DX11 at all even if you can.

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

32. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 2, 2013, 14:15 Creston

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:17:
Timer coalescing isn't a buzz word, rather the current implementation is meant to mean to fix the near-inevitable problems that IRQ and other interrupts have been having for the last decade and poor or no proper escalation of a device in the system bus. I'm guessing you either don't know, or didn't know about it. Including the various tools that "the nerds" used to use to bump various devices manually higher up on the timer and interrupt chain. Making it so that it's handled natively is a very good thing. And that's not even touching software handling for unique software assignments in the chain, or recovery states.

Sure it's a good thing. When was the last time you had an IRQ conflict? Windows has been capable of sharing IRQ and interrupt channels since 98 (IIRC.)

That it's now done a bit more elegantly and seamlessly, sure. That's what you buy an OS for? To fix a problem nobody was having anymore?

Advanced GPU recover again isn't a buzzword. Rather it stops the BSOD issues that GPU's had for quite a while. Fixed for the most part about 3 years ago, with the new WDDM overhead,

You mean, as in what Windows 7 does? Simply pop up a box that says "your GPU stopped working. Windows has recovered the device?"

and seems to be fully and completly invisible to the user in Win8 which is nice.

Sure. It also recovers in Windows 7. Again, you'd buy an entirely new OS for that?

Creston

31. Re: DirectX Jul 2, 2013, 08:48 nin

Ant wrote on Jul 2, 2013, 00:41:
Direct X 9.0c is fine enough for me in XP SP3.

DX11 has been a nice performance boost, if you had the hardware to support it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

30. DirectX Jul 2, 2013, 00:41 Ant

Direct X 9.0c is fine enough for me in XP SP3.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 22:30 SmyTTor

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 19:17:
shihonage wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 18:18:
Well downloading a driver is good...for those "hardcore nerds" as it were. Most people can't install a printer without managing to hose the installation even with an 8 or 16 step sheet of paper.

Please tell me society has not already dumbed back down to the point it can't install a damn driver- or worse that it shouldn't have to, ever.

There is zero compelling reason to switch to Win8, even after they fixed most of the more annoying aspects. None.

Aside from the cheerleaders, I would have to say that 95% of the tech community I work with and speak with have nothing but disdain for Win8 as anything but a cash grab and yet another PinTA for certification tracks.

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 19:46 jdreyer

Fantaz wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 18:31:
Julio wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:23:
I guess this proves Windows 8 isn't meeting expectations. Trying to force upgrades via DirectX is lame. Hopefully developers skip DirectX 11.2 as a result. We had a story the other day about a developer losing big time going Windows 8 only - hopefully others will pay attention.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any software/hardware requirements for DirectX 11.2 spec, so nobody will force you in getting it.

It will be years before this stuff is adopted en masse, and years after that before DX 10/11 is left behind. (which just recently became the PC game standard after being introduced five years back)

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

27. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 19:17 Mashiki Amiketo

shihonage wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 18:18:
USB 3.0 support - download a driver.

The rest are buzzwords a hardcore nerd might drool over, but they really don't mean squat.

Here's an example of a must-have upgrade: Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Why ?

Because

a)proper hyperthreading support at the time when HT became popular
b)Cleartype at the time when LCDs were massively gaining popularity

Windows 8 has nothing like that on it.
Well downloading a driver is good...for those "hardcore nerds" as it were. Most people can't install a printer without managing to hose the installation even with an 8 or 16 step sheet of paper.

Timer coalescing isn't a buzz word, rather the current implementation is meant to mean to fix the near-inevitable problems that IRQ and other interrupts have been having for the last decade and poor or no proper escalation of a device in the system bus. I'm guessing you either don't know, or didn't know about it. Including the various tools that "the nerds" used to use to bump various devices manually higher up on the timer and interrupt chain. Making it so that it's handled natively is a very good thing. And that's not even touching software handling for unique software assignments in the chain, or recovery states.

Advanced GPU recover again isn't a buzzword. Rather it stops the BSOD issues that GPU's had for quite a while. Fixed for the most part about 3 years ago, with the new WDDM overhead, and seems to be fully and completly invisible to the user in Win8 which is nice. Though *not* being told could mean you're missing something serious such as a failing GPU.

And while eDrive support or the phrase is indeed a buzzword, several of my friends who sell the bloody things up here in Canada at the wholesale level have seen a massive up-swing in sales since the massive NSA spying scandal hit. And people have been picking up Win8 to have native support for that which is interesting.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

26. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 18:31 Fantaz

Julio wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:23:
I guess this proves Windows 8 isn't meeting expectations. Trying to force upgrades via DirectX is lame. Hopefully developers skip DirectX 11.2 as a result. We had a story the other day about a developer losing big time going Windows 8 only - hopefully others will pay attention.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any software/hardware requirements for DirectX 11.2 spec, so nobody will force you in getting it.

25. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 18:18 shihonage

ViRGE wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 18:11:
Creston wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:34:
El Pit wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 12:48:
Install Windows 8, download and install classic menu, and you got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win8 is rock stable.

Install Windows 7, and you've got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win7 is rock stable.
Sadly it lacks native USB 3.0 support, coalescing clock timers, advanced GPU error recovery, and eDrive support (for self-encrypting SSDs), among other things.

Not that Win7 is a bad OS, but it's coming up on 4 years old now. It's no longer a spring chicken. New technologies come out and it gets slowly outdated. For equally old machines that's fine, but sticking with Win7 on a Haswell Ultrabook for example would be absurd.

USB 3.0 support - download a driver.

The rest are buzzwords a hardcore nerd might drool over, but they really don't mean squat.

Here's an example of a must-have upgrade: Windows 2000 to Windows XP. Why ?

Because

a)proper hyperthreading support at the time when HT became popular
b)Cleartype at the time when LCDs were massively gaining popularity

Windows 8 has nothing like that on it.

24. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 18:11 ViRGE

Install Windows 8, download and install classic menu, and you got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win8 is rock stable.

Install Windows 7, and you've got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win7 is rock stable.
Sadly it lacks native USB 3.0 support, coalescing clock timers, advanced GPU error recovery, and eDrive support (for self-encrypting SSDs), among other things.

Not that Win7 is a bad OS, but it's coming up on 4 years old now. It's no longer a spring chicken. New technologies come out and it gets slowly outdated. For equally old machines that's fine, but sticking with Win7 on a Haswell Ultrabook for example would be absurd.

23. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 16:59 nin

{PH}88fingers wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 16:51:
is this the classic menu people are recommending?
http://www.classicshell.net/

?

Yep - love it, used it for years now.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

22. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 16:51 {PH}88fingers

is this the classic menu people are recommending?
http://www.classicshell.net/

?

21. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 15:43 Quboid

El Pit wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 14:52:

Creston

Or that. Win7 is good, too. But I won't go back. I'm happy with Win8 AND classic menu. And no, I haven't seen that "tile thing" again since installing classic menu. And I don't intend to ever see it agian.

I installed Stardock's Start8 and ModernMix for about $8. It's a little smoother than Classic Menu IMHO.

Windows 7 is fine and there's zero reason to pay for an upgrade. However, Windows 8 + Start8 + ModernMix is cheaper than Windows 7 and better.

- Quboid

20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 14:52 El Pit

Creston

Or that. Win7 is good, too. But I won't go back. I'm happy with Win8 AND classic menu. And no, I haven't seen that "tile thing" again since installing classic menu. And I don't intend to ever see it agian.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 14:37 NeOCidE

Creston

Pmsl

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 14:34 Creston

Creston

17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 14:34 NeOCidE

SpectralMeat wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 10:39:
Vista all over again but now with cloud power!

Lol

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 14:23 Julio

15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 12:53 Redmask

Not worth the money if you have Windows 7, maybe when it was $30 but not today.  

14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2013, 12:49 jdreyer

Install Windows 8, download and install classic menu, and you got a very good OS. It boots directly to the desktop, has a classic start menu, and Win8 is rock stable. Yeah, it's a shame that MS gives a damn about their customers, but that can be helped with a tiny download. Classic menu is free and comes with a megaload of awesomeness.

It's a good point. Worth the money though, if you already have Win 7?

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

33 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo