Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I feel a little guilty complaining about the heat around here when there is a heatwave hanging around the southwest that's breaking records. We marveled at how one of the morning news shows chose to illustrate this, which was by sending someone to report on this from Death Valley, which already has the dubious distinction of the hottest recorded air temperature on Earth. How badly do you have to piss off someone at the network to inspire them to tell you to pack your bags and report on the heatwave from Death Valley? Ouch.

Link Valley: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Comic Book Cody.
Twisted Kingdom.
Links: This Life-Size Lego Alien Facehugger Will Haunt Your Dreams. Thanks nin.
The highest-calorie item at 10 fast-food chains.
Media: Guitar Warfare.
Red Dead Redemption Fan Film: The Hanging of Bonnie MacFarlane.
Vet Sits in Hot Parked Car 30 Mins to Show How Hot it Gets.
The Funnies: FoxTrot.
Superblam EXTRALIFE.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2013, 10:58 Creston

1badmf wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 19:45:
anybody here play the last of us? just finished it. what a magnificent game, brought down mildly by what i'd consider a bit of a copout ending.

Really? I thought the ending was PHENOMENAL.

(WARNING! MASSIVE FUCKING SPOILERS AHEAD. DO NOT FUCKING READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED 'THE LAST OF US' YET, BECAUSE IT WILL ***RUIN*** THE AWESOME ENDING FOR YOU!)

SERIOUSLY. STOP FRAKKING READING NOW.

Spoiler A copout ending would have been Joel and Ellie getting to the Fireflies, they create a vaccine, and a voice over runs over a few still screenshots and says "It took awhile, but eventually the world got back to normal." As if a world where anarchy has reigned for 20 years could EVER go back to normal again. Like the hunters are going to give up all the zones they've conquered.

Quite frankly, everyone in the entire game world disgusted me so much (With the minor exception of Ellie, Henry and his brother, and Tommie) that I was GLAD there would be no cure. Fuck all the assholes on that planet. Live in the fucking squallid misery you've created for yourselves.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2013, 03:05 Ant

BobBob wrote on Jul 1, 2013, 02:46:
The heat wave seems to only apply to the inland area of Southern California. It has been in upper 70s where I live, near the beach. No heat wave felt.
Bah, which beach? My friends, in Newport Beach, love it. Bah!

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2013, 02:46 BobBob

The heat wave seems to only apply to the inland area of Southern California. It has been in upper 70s where I live, near the beach. No heat wave felt.

This comment was edited on Jul 1, 2013, 02:55.

24. Re: 90F in my upstair room. Jul 1, 2013, 01:50 Rattlehead

Also, Doink the Clown just died.  

23. 90F in my upstair room. Jul 1, 2013, 00:05 Ant

My Linux/Debian oldstable box's NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT video card is spinning over 5K RPM. It is just idling too.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 23:15 nin

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 23:03:
So in other news some kid got 8 years of jail for sarcasm on league of legends.
Link

This country is in a real downward spiral. Murderers like Casey Anthony can murder their own children and walk free, but talk a little bit of smack of legends, kiss your life goodbye.

Last Thursday

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 23:03 Rattlehead

So in other news some kid got 8 years of jail for sarcasm on league of legends.
Link

This country is in a real downward spiral. Murderers like Casey Anthony can murder their own children and walk free, but talk a little bit of smack of legends, kiss your life goodbye.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 23:01 nin

1badmf wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 22:54:
don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to say you shouldn't buy one, just that i thought you should've waited until the ps4 hit and then ps3 prices plummet.

No worries. I'd been on the fence for awhile, and that amazon sale was the final straw. I'm more than a little skeptical of the gaiki streaming for backwards compatibility, and felt hardware was the best way to go. And with my second second xbox croaking and GTA5 in 2 months (and there's no way in hell I'm missing that, as a GTA junkie) it felt like the time was right.

I have no doubt they'll get cheaper, but I needed something for September.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 22:54 1badmf

don't get me wrong, i wasn't trying to say you shouldn't buy one, just that i thought you should've waited until the ps4 hit and then ps3 prices plummet.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 21:52 Cutter

I love the heat. Love...it. I'd rather roast than freeze any day of the week. Friggin hate the winter.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 21:47 nin

Redmask wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 20:53:
Why wouldn't he? He has a full backlog of great first party games to go through now. I recommend doing Demons Souls or Uncharted after The Last of Us.

I've only checked amazon, but there's a ton of great stuff I've missed, with some compilations of multiple games under $30, and singles sometimes around $15 a pop. I got:

Infamous 1+2+DLC - $30
Arkham City GOTY - $16
GT5 XL - $15

Preordered Metal Gear Bofo Mondo Complete Edition for $50.

Looking at:
Splinter Cell HD Trilogy - $17
The Saboteur - $20
KillZone Trilogy (1-3) - $30
God of War Saga (1-3 + 2 PSP games)- $30

At those prices, it's really hard to go wrong...the sheer amount of gameplay per buck is insane.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 20:53 Redmask

Why wouldn't he? He has a full backlog of great first party games to go through now. I recommend doing Demons Souls or Uncharted after The Last of Us.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 20:52 nin

ps, why are you buying a ps3 this close to ps4's release?!? esp. when ps3s still aren't really that cheap yet.

Backwards compatibility! And GTA 5...caught a 320 gig with Uncharted 3 for $250 last week on amazon - too good to pass up.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 20:43 1badmf

nin wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 19:49:
anybody here play the last of us? just finished it. what a magnificent game, brought down mildly by what i'd consider a bit of a copout ending.

I just got a PS3, and everyone is raving about that game. I'll grab it once it's cheap, but I admit, everyone's constant praise is making it hard to wait.

in my opinion it's something new and unique in gaming - a story that focuses on raw emotions and humanity rather than game mechanics or schlocky stories. i've played a lot of games and i can't remember a single one that depicted being human so nakedly and so authentically as this.

ps, why are you buying a ps3 this close to ps4's release?!? esp. when ps3s still aren't really that cheap yet.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 20:25 Redmask

It is one of those games you really shouldn't wait to play, it's just that good. I hate trying to shoot with a console controller but other than that it's a perfect example of why Sony varied exclusives beat the pants off Microsofts Halo and Forza formula.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 19:49 nin

I just got a PS3, and everyone is raving about that game. I'll grab it once it's cheap, but I admit, everyone's constant praise is making it hard to wait.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 19:45 1badmf

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 19:44 ldonyo

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 19:22:
ldonyo wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 19:10:
We set a record here in Tucson, although it isn't a good one. Every day in June has been over 100F.
I have a good friend living in Tucson. His spin is with the under 5% humidity, it's "okay" all the way to 105. Here in the Midwest (Central Illinois) mid 80's with our 80% humidity is equivalent. Choose your poison...
I lived in Kansas City for 15 years before moving to Tucson. The humidity does make it a different kind of hot, but there is a point where it's just plain hot and shitty in both places. As an added bonus, the AC in my car has been tits up since April and I won't be able to afford to get it fixed until the end of July.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 19:22 Mr. Tact

We set a record here in Tucson, although it isn't a good one. Every day in June has been over 100F.
I have a good friend living in Tucson. His spin is with the under 5% humidity, it's "okay" all the way to 105. Here in the Midwest (Central Illinois) mid 80's with our 80% humidity is equivalent. Choose your poison...

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2013, 19:17 nin

I'm going to be totally honest: While you have my utmost sympathies (I spent a couple of weeks in Mesa in the middle of summer, decades ago), I can't help but think "thank god that shit isn't here".

We (in OK) actually have a week of mid/high 80s coming up, and based on the time of year, it sounds wonderful.

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo