Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saturday Metaverse

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 1, 2013, 08:59 TheGenk

Always feel sorry for you every time I hear how you get shafted when it comes to internet access across the pond.
Even more so when you consider that one of our (Germany) major ISPs wanted to add caps followed with throttling resulting in a major backlash with even the government stepping in to prevent it.

For 100mbit down/2mbit up cable flatrate (no caps, no nothing) with telephone flat(3 numbers, 2 lines) and cable tv you only pay 39/mo here.

I'd suggest petitioning your government to get rid of those competition curbing laws.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Breakthrough in internet bandwith Jun 30, 2013, 15:14 Creston

Telcos and cable lower data caps to 100MB per month to avoid "congestion", and raise prices as FCC cheers on.

Fucking cuntsacks.

Creston

13. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 12:35 Ant

dj LiTh wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 12:09:
Since moving to Germany from So.cal one of the biggest suprises has been the internet speeds. Its been such a huge jump i still cant believe it and now the biggest problem i have is affording new harddrives. 30mbit down 10mbit up 30euro's, cable service. Normally i get 38mbit down 12mbit up though. You can pay 50euros and get 100mbit down as well but i'm already on my 3rd 3tb drive in 4months. The states really are behind in the bandwidth game.
That's no surprise. Try South Korea, Japan, etc. too. I should be in South Korea for hardcore gaming (well, when I used to be a hardcore gamer), technology, and Internet. Haha.

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

12. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 12:09 dj LiTh

Since moving to Germany from So.cal one of the biggest suprises has been the internet speeds. Its been such a huge jump i still cant believe it and now the biggest problem i have is affording new harddrives. 30mbit down 10mbit up 30euro's, cable service. Normally i get 38mbit down 12mbit up though. You can pay 50euros and get 100mbit down as well but i'm already on my 3rd 3tb drive in 4months. The states really are behind in the bandwidth game.  

11. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 11:25 Smellfinger

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 17:02:
What monopoly? In America there are plenty of choices (though they all pretty much suck balls)

I live in a major city and I have two choices: AT&T or Comcast. I haven't had anything resembling choice since the days of dial-up.

10. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 06:22 Julio

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 00:51:
5 down/1up DSL

My speeds are pretty similar - around 6 down/1 up DSL which hasn't changed speedwise in a long time. No cable option because there are line issues for at least a 10 block radius where I am (you can see every house/condo/apartment has a dish instead of cable for TV), and the only cable provider has no interest in investing in line replacement. Local cable speeds used to be horrific when I was on it due to congestion and line issues.

No higher speed options available regardless of price...I'd like the Australian guy's package and would be happy to pay for it.

9. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 05:59 RenownWolf

Hopefully it will improve things for the big pipes, the consumer end is still all over the place world wide.

Australia has its NBN fibre network going in at the moment, but its slow to roll out and it's being run by the government. Which means at any time the politicians decide they don't want to they will stop rolling it out (we have a election coming up and this is a point of issue).

At the moment I'm on a top tier plan of $100aud (I don't pay this, I have a discount) for 500gig cap (up and down counted) at speeds of 100mbit down 2.4mbit up. The NBN ranges depending on company and their uploads/caps are much better but not in my area.

To think when I was younger I always wanted a faster connection, and now world wide I have a very good connection. Problem now is most content provides can't keep up. Annoys me to no end when a 1080p stream lags from one provider, yet I can have 10 open from another.

So with that in mind, not only do the consumer ends need to keep pace, but so does the content side. Hopefully newer techs such as that one helps them get some nice phat pipes up and running =)

Edit: NBN Fibre network, although a NBN Fire network could be interesting

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2013, 06:07.

http://www.renownwolf.com

8. Damn Internet companies! Jun 30, 2013, 04:38 Ant

Heh. I am east of L.A. and only have fast and decently priced broadband service: Cable's 15/1 for $52.99 per month without cable modem fees. No DSL (20+K ft. to CO), no FIOS (available in the cities, but not my neighborhood). Dial-up sucks at about 3 KB/sec with lots of line noises (can't go faster than 28800 ever since I started using 33600+ dial-up modems). IDSL doesn't count (144Kb/sec for over 100 bucks a month and frak satellite services. Cable has monopoly in my areas.  

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

7. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 01:34 LittleMe

Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 15:54:
The challenge will be getting internet providers to sell new technology, especially for us stuck in a virtual monopoly ISP situation enforced by the government.
What monopoly? In America there are plenty of choices (though they all pretty much suck balls)

Local duopolys, but monopoly works also since phone service was deemed separate from cable TV service. It's a 20th century legacy that holds us back now.

This is basic common knowledge that choice of Internet service is very limited here. Typically people demonize the corporations that benefit from government-backed duopolies, but rarely will you see people see closer to the root problem that it is a government created situation where free competition is outlawed. Julio citing the root cause was refreshing.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

6. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2013, 00:51 Cutter

Julio wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 19:25:
Actually I'm not in the US, we have even less competition here (Canada). Two main providers who sublease their equipment to create the appearance of competition. Minimal investment in new infrastructure. Very high prices for low speed.

Most African countries have superior internet service than Canada does.

Who are you with? I use AEI out of Montreal - used them for 7 years now - 5 down/1up DSL for $33 per month taxes included and no caps. They've always been hella reliable and great with me.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

5. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 19:25 Julio

Actually I'm not in the US, we have even less competition here (Canada). Two main providers who sublease their equipment to create the appearance of competition. Minimal investment in new infrastructure. Very high prices for low speed.

Most African countries have superior internet service than Canada does.

4. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 17:52 jacobvandy

The challenge will be getting internet providers to sell new technology, especially for us stuck in a virtual monopoly ISP situation enforced by the government.

In my area there is AT&T, or if you don't want to live in 2002 with DSL maxing out at 6 Mbps, there is Comcast. Because they have a monopoly on higher speeds, AT&T is not allowed to offer their 10-30 Mbps services here. I'm swimming in choices!

3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 17:48 killer_roach

Well, you have the incumbent advantage inherent in telephony-based broadband, you have (in most of the US) government-mandated monopolies at the local/state level for cable broadband, and FCC spectrum auctions creating a massive barrier to entry for mobile/satellite broadband...

So, while it is correct that there isn't a monopoly per se, it is a policy-driven stunting of competitive options. Fiber could be a way around that, but with the telcos and cable companies way out in front on the deployment of fiber-optic cable at present, it seems unlikely that a new player could disrupt much apart from in specific, population-dense urban areas.

2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 17:02 Rattlehead

1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 29, 2013, 15:54 Julio

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo