Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Consolidation

View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 02:04 nin

raVen wrote on Jun 30, 2013, 01:34:
Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:41:
Going back to the 80s, the weakest console almost always won.

SNES: Won and was most powerful (discounting things like the NeoGeo, which had no distribution)
PS: Weaker than the N64
PS2: Weaker than the 360 and GC
Wii: Weaker than the 360 and PS3
Gameboy: Weaker than the GameGear, Nomad and Playstation Portable and Vita

I'd say it's pretty true that raw stats don't matter. It's the games first, the brand second.
But most of the above came at a time when there were far more exclusives.
I think it's all about the easiest to develop for. (Sony handhelds haven't been as easy or similar iteration to iteration as Nintendo handhelds.)
I don't know much about the SNES, but the NES had market penetration, and when the SNES came out there were plenty of games people wanted to play for it. (memory gets hazy, I didn't own an NES / SNES until much later)

Mark Cerny talked about some of this from the point of view of Sony: Mark Cerny "The Road to PS4" - 'No Hum, No Pajama' Edition @ gamelabs 2013
I found the talk from Gamelabs 2013 informative. (47:15)
Anyone wanting to know more about the intimate details of Sony and console design should watch this video.

Having not heard of this guy until this spring, the more I hear him talk, the more I like him. Just something geeky/fun about him...seems honest, and he likes what he does.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 30, 2013, 01:34 raVen

Beamer wrote on Jun 29, 2013, 00:41:

SNES: Won and was most powerful (discounting things like the NeoGeo, which had no distribution)

I'd say it's pretty true that raw stats don't matter. It's the games first, the brand second.
I think it's all about the easiest to develop for. (Sony handhelds haven't been as easy or similar iteration to iteration as Nintendo handhelds.)
I don't know much about the SNES, but the NES had market penetration, and when the SNES came out there were plenty of games people wanted to play for it. (memory gets hazy, I didn't own an NES / SNES until much later)

Mark Cerny talked about some of this from the point of view of Sony: Mark Cerny "The Road to PS4" - 'No Hum, No Pajama' Edition @ gamelabs 2013
I found the talk from Gamelabs 2013 informative. (47:15)
Anyone wanting to know more about the intimate details of Sony and console design should watch this video.

16. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 05:18 Julio

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:42:
Big dicks are meaningless...says the guy with the 2 inch pecker.

100% true.

15. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 03:24 NeOCidE

Xbox One exec: Hardware specs are "meaningless." Like executive quotes

Funny thing is, if the boot was on the other foot MS would be shouting from the rooftops about how great their system specs are.

Of course there is some truth to their statement, great specs don't = great games.

However the likely scenario is going to be that Sony not only have the great games but also the hardware to back them up.

What you say then MS?

Given MS seem totally devoid of coming up with any new IP.

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

14. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 01:40 eRe4s3r

Yeah but if you had ever had a GameGear (I did, including "illegal" bundle cartridges) You would be really really sad that it didn't win. That thing was superior to the Gameboy in any way possible. Including the games! It had the best Sonic Game ever made for example.  

13. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 01:10 Jivaro

What is it with 3rd generation console hardware? It is like these companies run into some kind of brain block when they make their 3rd entry.

12. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 01:01 Redmask

The unified memory pool in the PS4 will make it a much easier system to develop for and that's usually what makes a big difference more than the specs themselves. Sony made all the right moves, Microsoft's hardware is not only weaker but more difficult to leverage which was one of the cardinal sins Sony committed with the PS3. Developers working with the dev kit say that the new tools by Mark Cerny's team have made a huge difference too.  

11. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 00:41 Beamer

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

10. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 00:00 Silicon Avatar

It's true, guys. Hardware specs ARE meaningless.

My IBM XT clone is playing Rogue just fine.

9. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 23:41 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 20:26:
PS4 has way more potential for better visuals... unfortunately we'll probably only see them in the exclusives, since the multi-platform titles will go for the lowest common denominator.

Better FPS on like games? I'm plenty ok with simply smoother play.

8. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 23:20 PropheT

wtf_man wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 20:26:
Bottom line... PS4 has way more potential for better visuals... unfortunately we'll probably only see them in the exclusives, since the multi-platform titles will go for the lowest common denominator.

Maybe. I think the biggest factor is that if the new generation of consoles is anything like the current one it's not necessarily the exclusives that sell the system but which system plays the 3rd party games the best. The more that continues to be true the less reason there is for buying multiple consoles, too, which I'll be curious to see if that proves to be as true as I expect in this next generation.

Nintendo doesn't have them, and look at the Wii U sales. Older console generations were more focused on exclusive games than the 360 and PS3 are. A lot of the games that were better on 360 this generation were the ones that worked better on the 360; programming for it easier and made games perform better, online was better so shooters were more popular, etc...

Except those advantages are gone with the next generation. Sony is requiring Plus for multiplayer in order to offer the same thing that drew people to the 360 for those games in the current generation. The hardware architecture is the same, so there's no programming differences that will significantly have an effect on the games; so that leaves the hardware specs, and if it means that the 3rd party games are better on PS4 that's what will matter. PC gamers know pretty well that even games designed for the lowest common denominator, which are most of what we get from the major publishers these days, still have more favorable versions on better hardware.

The only way hardware specs are meaningless is if you say it's because games decide the war, which is true, but those games are better on whatever runs them the best.

7. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 23:06 Pigeon

DAH POWAH OF DER CLOUD!!!! ITS M4JIC!!!

So anytime you have to use the word 'magic' to explain how your product is going to be better than your competitor, you should probably just STFU instead because you have absolutely no clue. Some other acceptable options might be, defer to a more knowledgeable employee, or point in a random direction and say 'OH SHIT LOOK AT THAT' while fleeing rapidly in the other direction.

6. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 22:42 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:42:

Hey now, no reason to make it personal.

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 22:41 HorrorScope

"Here's what you care about," he said."

They just will never get it... Telling me what I want is a swing and a miss, every time.

4. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 21:52 finga

Notch and Mojand could easily afford the cash to patch Minecraft on XBLA nearly as many times as he wanted, and the game'd still make them huge bank. Plus, it had already sold millions on PC. That's a pretty safe bet, bringing it to Xbox.

Fez was always a bit of a niche title, no matter how good it was ever going to be, and it launched on Xbox, stuck in exclusivity as MS basically buried it deep down in Xbox Live. (Not on purpose, but just with negligence)

There's a reason most indie developers are bailing from Xbox. It's a poisonous environment for a small team without corporate funding, putting their first for-money game on a digital download service.

3. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 21:42 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

2. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 20:26 wtf_man

Xbox One exec: Hardware specs are "meaningless."

Uh... no... they aren't. (Of course it takes PC gamers to see through this bullshit)

Anyone that knows squat about graphics cards knows that the more memory bandwidth the better. If you take a budget video card with DDR3 vs. the exact same gpu and clocks with GDDR5.... the latter video card is about twice as fast.

For the just the GPU... 68 GB/s vs. 176 GB/s (+30% more gpu cores) is a fucking spanking.

Graphics performance,alone, for the PS4 should be about 2.5x over the Xbox one.

Then... lets get into the fact XBox one is running 3 OS's and sucking up 3GB of RAM for those OS's... on just as weak AMD APU-CPU's as the PS4.

Oh... but there's the cloud that gives you 4 Xbones in one!!!
...Not if I fucking play offline 90% of the time.

Bottom line... PS4 has way more potential for better visuals... unfortunately we'll probably only see them in the exclusives, since the multi-platform titles will go for the lowest common denominator.

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 20:18 xXBatmanXx

Xbox One exec: Hardware specs are "meaningless." Like executive quotes.

They just can't help themselves can they?

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo