Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds

Half-Life 3 speculation continues on reddit (where are least they're having fun with it) after a previous theory was seemingly debunked and another turned out to be a joke, but they continue to work the problem. There are various interpretations of recent patches theorizing an alternate reality game is underway for the MIA shooter sequel, which would certainly fit Valve's MO if they were finally announcing Half-Life 3. It all seems a little flimsy, but one of these days an announcement will actually come, right? (No really, I'm asking.)

View
45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

45. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 30, 2013, 12:39 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:42:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 09:52:
I didn't care for the Episodes, and it's been so long since HL2, I've pretty much lost interest in the story.
Quinn wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 18:06:
That said, Half Life is over-rated by now. Part 1 was revolutionary, Part 2 was OK. People have a tendency of blowing shit out of proportions. I personally don't give a shit if there's never going to be a sequel.
Prez wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 20:43:
I've pretty much moved on now. If HL3 never comes I won't really miss it.

Boo I say, boo.

It doesn't bother me that it's taking forever. When it's finally released I assume I'll be very excited to play it and the story will still be fresh in my mind even 10-15 years later (and if it isn't I'll replay the series first). These comments imply that it's the wait that's turned you guys off from it, that you would've been excited had it come out years ago. I just don't get that. Obviously if it turns out to be DNF crap when it's released I'll be disappointed but I don't think that'll happen.

Waits are meaningful, though. At some point, you have to lose interest. Especially when so many fantastic things come out in the meantime. Especially when what caused us to be excited in the first place isn't very fresh or exciting anymore.

I mean, in 1998 people probably would have lined up for an Independence Day sequel, now it'll probably crash and burn. Things have changed and the time has passed.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

44. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 30, 2013, 02:51 nin

These comments imply that it's the wait that's turned you guys off from it, that you would've been excited had it come out years ago.

I guess the easiest way to describe it, at least from my perspective, is that people get bored (and tired of waiting) and move on. There was a point where I cared about the story, and how it all fit together, but I've come to the conclusion that I don't think even valve knows...if they can't be bothered, why should I? There's been plenty of other interesting games in the meantime that have no problem with quality sequels, and I'm far more interested in them now.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

43. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 29, 2013, 04:59 Quinn

Sepharo wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 21:42:
I didn't care for the Episodes, and it's been so long since HL2, I've pretty much lost interest in the story.
That said, Half Life is over-rated by now. Part 1 was revolutionary, Part 2 was OK. People have a tendency of blowing shit out of proportions. I personally don't give a shit if there's never going to be a sequel.

Boo I say, boo.

It doesn't bother me that it's taking forever. When it's finally released I assume I'll be very excited to play it and the story will still be fresh in my mind even 10-15 years later (and if it isn't I'll replay the series first). These comments imply that it's the wait that's turned you guys off from it, that you would've been excited had it come out years ago. I just don't get that. Obviously if it turns out to be DNF crap when it's released I'll be disappointed but I don't think that'll happen.

What HL1 brought to the industry was story to FPS games, with "cutscenes" that didn't remove the control of your character, with followers, involvement etc. What HL2 brought to the industry.. sorta.. were proper use of ingame physics. The game was pretty short and the story became rather uninteresting. Both the gameplay and story was so uninteresting that I didn't care about the "episodes" nor played them. So, no, it's not the wait that turned me off. I was never turned on about the prospect of a HL3 in the future in the first place. HL2 was too uninteresting for that.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

42. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 21:42 Sepharo

Boo I say, boo.

41. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 21:01 Mad Max RW

So at this rate can we expect the fan-made remake of Half Life 2 on the Half Life 3 engine in 20 years? Also the new ending has to be around 2/3 into the game where Gordon and Alyx go into the teleporter with an "assignment postponed" message.  

40. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 20:43 Prez

I've pretty much moved on now. If HL3 never comes I won't really miss it. It's pretty amazing that Valve has let their best property lie fallow for so long that even diehard drooling fans have moved on yet they are still making bucket-loads of money. Is this a case of a company being too successful for their own good? I kinda wish Valve had been a little less successful - they actually would have needed to make HL3 in a timely manner.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

39. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 19:19 Jensen

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 17:22:
Mikus_Aurelius wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:26:
Mad Max RW wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:37:
And it was either last year or the year before Gabe became a BILLIONAIRE. He's doing something right.

Yeah, taking a cut of everything sold on Steam.
So you expect Valve to allow everyone to sell their games for free on their service? No sorry, this is the real world. Stuff like that costs money.
They do offer their service for free if the game is sold elsewhere. I think that's pretty awesome. That allows things like Kickstarter rewards, humble bundle, and lets developers who sold their game before it was on Steam give keys to their customers.

38. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 18:06 Quinn

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 17:22:
And it was either last year or the year before Gabe became a BILLIONAIRE. He's doing something right.

So you expect Valve to allow everyone to sell their games for free on their service? No sorry, this is the real world. Stuff like that costs money.

So you're thinking he's not making a profit out of it? Whatever you just said isn't the point and I hope you see why because it's not worth elaborating.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

37. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 17:22 Rattlehead

36. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 16:23 Mad Max RW

Steam isn't a charity service.

35. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 16:16 MUGWUMP

Aren't they developing some type of PC/console hybrid for the living room?

Wouldn't it make sense for them to save HL3 to help market their new system?

EDIT: Guess I'd see someone mentioned that if I read past the first page

34. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 15:12 Kristian Joensen

Pr()ZaC wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:31:
I don't think Gabe wants to go that way. Too many PC users with STEAM installed.
Also, you'll need some time before M$ and SONY have enough units sold to satisfy exclusive content for such a platform.

Sure it's a possibility though.

There is such a thing as *console* exclusivity. That is what I was talking about. HL3 coming to Linux, Mac OSX, Windows and the Steambox but NOT PS4, PS3, Xbox 360 or Xbox One. Do I THINK they are gonna do that? Not really. But it won't be a great surprise.

33. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 14:36 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:06:
Kristian Joensen wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:34:
I agree with the last bit with one exception. Half-Life 2 requiring Steam was what made Steam so popular. Half-Life 3 being console exclusive to a Steambox MAY do the same.

When Half Life 2 came out literally everyone hated Steam and for good reason. It was only when it evolved past a buggy Launcher/DRM check/Server browser into a PC gaming service that people started to like it.

Zactly...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

32. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 14:31 Pr()ZaC

I don't think Gabe wants to go that way. Too many PC users with STEAM installed.
Also, you'll need some time before M$ and SONY have enough units sold to satisfy exclusive content for such a platform.

Sure it's a possibility though.

31. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 14:15 Kristian Joensen

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:06:
I agree with the last bit with one exception. Half-Life 2 requiring Steam was what made Steam so popular. Half-Life 3 being console exclusive to a Steambox MAY do the same.

When Half Life 2 came out literally everyone hated Steam and for good reason. It was only when it evolved past a buggy Launcher/DRM check/Server browser into a PC gaming service that people started to like it.

That may well be but Half-Life 2 Steam exclusivity is what brought it many users. Consoles using exclusives to gain sales is a known phenomenon, one that Valve could end up using. With Half-Life 3 they have a potentially huge exclusive if they were to go that way.

30. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 14:14 Hump

Im guessing if the Steambox is going to become a reality then HL3 as launch title would be a no-brainer for Valve

Say what you will about Valve, they don't do things halfheartedly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

29. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 14:06 NegaDeath

28. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 13:34 Kristian Joensen

InBlack wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:38:
nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:22:
KS wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:21:
Speaking of consoles, I assume it will be consolized, meaning limited numbers of weapons at once and save points and no soul.

Has Valve done that before?

There is always a first time for everything. (e.g Steam) Especially when there is a shitload of money to be made. I doubt that the game will be consolised, knowing Valve it will definitely have a proper PC port or will be developed primarly for the PC and for Valve's own rumoured console. However Valve would be incredibly stupid not to release ports for the Xbone or PS4.

It COULD be a good strategy. Would I be extremely surprised if they announced that? No.

Would I be surprised if it came to the PS4 and/or Xbox One? No, I wouldn't be surprised about that either. But console exclusivity to a Steambox is far from impossible.

27. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 13:26 Mikus_Aurelius

26. Re: Half-Life 3 ARG Speculation Abounds Jun 28, 2013, 13:18 Optional nickname

HL3 will come, as soon as all the Steam services are finally done, i.e Steambox (which might fail, they should just sign one with Xbone and PS4 for that) and in place, it won't be before that.

so sit back, relax, and just 'wait' for HL3 to come, it will, it's just a matter of timing, to capitalize on the gigantic wave that will be in place. It will give Gabe a full 5 Billion dollars for sure, he won't settle for less. I wouldn't either, that IP is priceless, and he and everyone knows it. He won't succumb to the evil practices of EA and Activision either, as he knows that is the epitome of cancer to the gaming industry, but they all grease each other behind closed doors and corporate cruises anyhow. It's a numbers game, each one taking the spotlight, one at a time,

kids, make your own gaming dev studios today, if you want to become a healthy millionaire in 20 years time, instead of wasting your time playing their games only, making ends meet to live in your moms basement.

Longlive Valve, PC , Ubisoft (Guillemot & family), GOG, CD Projekt Red, and some Sony exclusives, Polyphony Digital to name one of a few,
and that guy from ShiningRockSoftware that is on his way to earn his first 50 million dollar paycheck.

may the rest die a laggy hardcore death.

This comment was edited on Jun 28, 2013, 13:24.

45 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo