Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 29, 2013, 12:39 bhcompy

1badmf wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 14:57:
Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:34:
I owned a Neo-Geo, shit was insanely expensive. I remember working all summer to save up for it.

holy fuck, why?!?! just the games were $200 as i recall. and the graphics weren't THAT good.

Because Neo-Geo had the best arcade games

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 18:10 Dirwulf

Redmask wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 17:59:
Dirwulf wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 17:37:
You don't have to have your TV on. It's a streaming service.

They will probably limit this to the point of uselessness and it's one provider. It will go away when Microsoft gets tired of paying for it too.

Limit how? And the article is related to the 360(Obviously this will be on the xbox one). They already have tons of streaming services in the app center if you've ever bothered to check it out. A lot of them are tied to your provider so you don't pay extra. Although you do have to pay for the gold account.

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 17:59 Redmask

Dirwulf wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 17:37:

They will probably limit this to the point of uselessness and it's one provider. It will go away when Microsoft gets tired of paying for it too.

The Xbox One has the most pointless TV service I've ever seen. HDMI passthru that requires a cable sub and has no DVR functionality. I can't wait to get double overlays from them and the cable STB. 90% of the screen will be overlay when you simply change the channel, forget the guide. This is the company who made Windows Media Center, to offer such crappy HTPC features should be criminal.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 17:37 Dirwulf

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 09:45:
Microsoft teases Windows 8 applications on Xbox One.

Aaand another...So I turn on my tv, and turn on my console...so I can watch tv through my console? Insert "yo dawg, I heard you like..." joke here.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 14:58 jacobvandy

nin wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 09:45:
Microsoft And Time Warner Strike TV Deal For Xbox 360.

Aaand another...So I turn on my tv, and turn on my console...so I can watch tv through my console? Insert "yo dawg, I heard you like..." joke here.

It is weird, but I guess there are cases where your console is not hooked up to your TV, or you want to be able to access your cable TV programming away from home (just take your console with you). Wouldn't appeal to me, necessarily, and definitely not make me want an Xbox, but I can see how others might think differently. The only thing I would want from cable companies at this point is an option to subscribe to a handful of channels that I actually want for a fraction of the price of even the basic package...

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 14:57 1badmf

Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 13:34:
I owned a Neo-Geo, shit was insanely expensive. I remember working all summer to save up for it.

holy fuck, why?!?! just the games were $200 as i recall. and the graphics weren't THAT good.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 14:31 Julio

How is having Windows 8 apps on Xbone exciting? I guess they've got nothing else to sell.  

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 13:34 Verno

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 13:15 bhcompy

Are the PS4 and Xbox One really that expensive, historically?

No. My 3DO was $700 at launch. Next question

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 12:42 Beamer

Bill Borre wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 12:35:
Beached whale learns to use bed

It could get a lot worse than that. Some day in the future, MS might sell that data to corporate HR departments to discriminate in favor of young, active hires and to exclude the obese and slovenly.

Well, we'd have to change laws.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 12:37 Verno

kanniballl wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 11:33:
I liked the XBox thumb-stick positions, how the left is higher than the right. I don't know, I just liked controlling it that way more. But that's just personal preference, I'm not saying that makes it superior.

I haven't held one personally but many of the press (even though the pro 360 ones) agree that the PS4 controller has finally reached parity. The increased size and space between the analog sticks feels more natural and seems to negate the need to have it higher on the left since its almost at that spot anyway. Anyways it will be interesting, the PS4 controller is going to be a drastic shift from the DS3. I think that's great but some people really loved the DS3.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 12:35 Bill Borre

Beached whale learns to use bed

It could get a lot worse than that. Some day in the future, MS might sell that data to corporate HR departments to discriminate in favor of young, active hires and to exclude the obese and slovenly.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 12:15 SirKnight

Verno wrote on Jun 28, 2013, 10:55:
The new controller on the PS4 is actually a bit larger than the Xbox One controller and has a much better stick layout. It looks the same but they're spaced out an inch more and should be a more natural holding position. The controller itself is quite a bit meatier too. I personally didn't like the DS3 but it looks like they remedied most of the problems.

It does appear the PS4 controller is bigger and spaced out a bit more. This is good because not only were the grips on each end too short for me making the controller awkward to hold, but the sticks were too close as I am constantly bumping my thumbs together (especially in a shooter).

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 11:33 kanniballl

I liked the XBox thumb-stick positions, how the left is higher than the right. I don't know, I just liked controlling it that way more. But that's just personal preference, I'm not saying that makes it superior.

Ultimately, I might wind up buying both; one for my bedroom and one for the living room. But, I know it's silly, but I don't want the XBoxOne in my bedroom with that stuff running 24/7.

Get some stupid script kiddie and the next thing you know Youtube has some posting called "Beached whale learns to use bed" or something; or something worse.

-

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:58 SpectralMeat

Yeah the round tips on the sticks, and the curved triggers were definitely a problem with the DS3 controllers imo.
For those 2 things alone I much preferred the 360 controller.
It looks like they've fixed those with the DS4

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:55 Verno

I had more fun with my 360 than my PS3 and I like the controller layout more. But now it seems the only exclusive it has is the Halo series (I like the series, so sue me).

The new controller on the PS4 is actually a bit larger than the Xbox One controller and has a much better stick layout. It looks the same but they're spaced out an inch more and should be a more natural holding position. The controller itself is quite a bit meatier too. I personally didn't like the DS3 but it looks like they remedied most of the problems.

For me, personally, that was one of my biggest gripes. Just seems really creepy...had they just said it didn't have to be plugged in (but including it for the sake of everyone having it) it wouldn't have bothered me (and I wouldn't have used it). But their attitude of "this is what you get, and this is the way it's going to be" DID NOT fly with a lot of people, myself included.

For me it's part that and part that I don't think its fair to ask me to pay an extra $100 to subsidize some weird mass market strategy Microsoft wants to chase. They are forgetting their roots, the 360s success is based in the core market, not Kinect.

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:19 nin

I've not really heard people complain much about the PS4 pricing

Well, compared to the PS3 launch price...

But, not a huge fan of the always-on-super-advanced-Kinect (and microphone).

For me, personally, that was one of my biggest gripes. Just seems really creepy...had they just said it didn't have to be plugged in (but including it for the sake of everyone having it) it wouldn't have bothered me (and I wouldn't have used it). But their attitude of "this is what you get, and this is the way it's going to be" DID NOT fly with a lot of people, myself included.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:06 deqer

"Nintendo defends rapid release of new Mario games"

Just like I said in another thread. Once a company knows how popular a game becomes, they then get an ego boost and start milking it even more, for them; not for you. For money.

We should stop letting companies know how fun a game is.

---

Edit:

Although, like LittleMe said, the market may very well eventually kill this for Nintendo anyways. But, I just feel sorry for the victims that are still being suckered into buying these milked products.

3. Really that expensive, historically? Jun 28, 2013, 10:04 kanniballl

Ultimately, and historically, the prices for both consoles aren't that bad thanks to inflation and what-not. It's not factoring into if I by them

I had more fun with my 360 than my PS3 and I like the controller layout more. But now it seems the only exclusive it has is the Halo series (I like the series, so sue me).

But, not a huge fan of the always-on-super-advanced-Kinect (and microphone). I just don't know if that's enough to prevent me from getting it.

I'll think about it more as time goes on.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 28, 2013, 10:02 Pigeon

Interesting chart, explains why a few systems never really left the ground, pricing is everything. I've not really heard people complain much about the PS4 pricing and I think most of the complaints about the Xbone pricing are centered around having to pay more for a system that has several unattractive usage requirements, when there's a cheaper, more powerful, system that doesn't have those requirements.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo