Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari

Though he repeats that he cannot really comment on the matter, Beamdog and Overhaul Games president Trent Oster informs GameInformer that Atari is the previously unnamed publishing partner that is preventing Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from being sold. That said, the situation otherwise remains as vague and confusing as before. "At the request of Atari legal we removed the game from sale on Beamdog and the App stores," Oster told them. "Atari is still selling the game through their channels. We're trying to remedy the situation and I'm hopeful we can come to an arrangement."

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 26, 2013, 09:06 McSterls

It's funny that I've been holding off buying this for my IPad until I had a long plane flight, which I have tomorrow. I didn't buy it before, because why wouldn't it be available when I want to get it. Instead, I bought X-Com.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 26, 2013, 09:05 Shagwood

I think it just shows typical suits behaving like typical suits. Didn't give a junk about some supposedly outdated old IP...until ....wait ...what?...people still want to buy this stuff that's not over cinematic-ed war game shoot-em ups?? Oh yea we are gonna need a bigger slice of this bad boy.  

8. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 26, 2013, 03:44 aesir05

It seems that its not just about publishing but also about licencing, even with kickstarter a licence holder can still screw you over  

7. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 22:03 jdreyer

Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
Kickstarter
  • Kickstarter

• This BS will never happen with Eternity or Torment.

Kickstarter forever.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

6. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:47 MoreLuckThanSkill

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 21:35:
    I know that the usual tards are going to blame this on Atari but what I am really asking myself is how stupid does Beamdog have to be?
    With a loaded IP like Baldur's Gate how did they NOT get a written letter of consent from every single party that's been involved with the IP before beginning any work on enhancing anything at all?

That should have been the first order of the day during the planning phase. Cover your bases. All of them. Get written letters of consent and waiver declarations with regard to any legal pursuit of copyright violations or infringement. Get 'em from Atari, from WotC, from Infogrames (= Atari EU), from BioWare, from Obsidian, from Interplay, every-fucking-one. Then, and only then, start working on enhancing BG.
    It is outright astounding or actually plain dumb that they apparently failed at legally securing their work properly. WTF?

Agreed, but as we don't have the entire story, maybe Atari is pulling some loophole bullshit because they didn't like the slice of the pie they agreed to before Overhaul started working on the EE versions.

I can't picture a group of supposedly veteran developers(mostly ex-Bioware guys from the old days) NOT getting the basic legal work done beforehand, but who knows.

5. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:44 jacobvandy

This is some news of the obvious. Go to Steam and you can see that the publisher of BG: EE is Atari.

It's not an issue with the rights to the game, because Atari is still selling it (on Steam and elsewhere). For whatever reason, Atari demanded that Beamdog stop selling it themselves. Probably a dispute over royalties that Atari believes they deserve as publisher but Beamdog isn't paying because they didn't need Atari to sell it through their own store or Apple/Android.

4. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:40 Rattlehead

Still on Steam  

3. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:40 Ozmodan

Atari is run by a bunch of neanderthals.  

2. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:35 CJ_Parker

I know that the usual tards are going to blame this on Atari but what I am really asking myself is how stupid does Beamdog have to be?
    With a loaded IP like Baldur's Gate how did they NOT get a written letter of consent from every single party that's been involved with the IP before beginning any work on enhancing anything at all?

That should have been the first order of the day during the planning phase. Cover your bases. All of them. Get written letters of consent and waiver declarations with regard to any legal pursuit of copyright violations or infringement. Get 'em from Atari, from WotC, from Infogrames (= Atari EU), from BioWare, from Obsidian, from Interplay, every-fucking-one. Then, and only then, start working on enhancing BG.
    It is outright astounding or actually plain dumb that they apparently failed at legally securing their work properly. WTF?

1. Re: Beamdog: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Pulled By Atari Jun 25, 2013, 21:08 Cutter

Did they screw the pooch on this that badly? This is all very strange.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo