Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification

Though Australia recently added an adult-oriented R18+ rating to their game rating system, Player Attack reports that Saints Row IV has nevertheless been refused classification in the terrirory, being deemed too much for delicate Aussie sensibilities. This means, pending a potential appeal, while it will be legal to own, it will not be permitted to publicly sell or display the next installment in Volition's open-world action series. The site cites how the game violates the R18+ specification, as games are not to "depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified." Here are the specifics of how Saints Row IV runs afoul of this:

In the Board’s opinion, Saints Row IV, includes interactive, visual depictions of implied sexual violence which are not justified by context. In addition, the game includes elements of illicit or proscribed drug use related to incentives or rewards. Such depictions are prohibited by the computer games guidelines.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 10:25 Linksil

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 08:03:
Don't need a moral horse to know this game is a piece of trash. And people wonder why legislators are calling for game reform. When they push the envelope this far just because they can, THQ deserves all the crap they get about this game.

Actually since morals are based on the person, and in America we believe in having freedom enough to make our own choice, it's not up to you or anyone else to tell us something is "trash". It's your right to say "I think this game is trash" or "I did not like this game because of these reasons" But you can't just force your opinion on people by saying the game is trash.

Having a rating system is fine, but if you force it upon people you shouldn't be able to ban things. Class them were you want to, but making it so people can't make their own choices about something is just taking away freedom. I think the whole rating system is a flawed attempt to make people happy and cover up real problems.

Let's look at saints row 4. What have we seen? We've seen a story line that involves you fighting off aliens to save the world. We've seen innovative weapons and the use of super powers like in comic books. When you undress the character it is CENSORED in the "bad parts". It's open world so you can go through the entire game without even seeing some of the "objectionable" content. If your problem was with 3, everything in the game was based on real life things that happen with an action movie twist to make sure the character lived. OH yea you can do everything in the GTA series(Biggest/closest game in category) that you can do in saints row series. That's been on the market for years and get's a lot more attention.

It's been shown the entire reason that legislators call for game reforms and other types of censoring of media is just to try to distract the public from other things they aren't doing. OR that they are trying to ride a moral high horse and push their beliefs on others.

Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 08:47 nin

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 26, 2013, 08:03:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 14:27:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 11:55:
Seriously, this title gets worse with every new version.

While I do not like the practice of banning anything, developers like this give the entire industry a black eye. Come on THQ, exercising such bad taste with a game like this is just beyond stupid.

What is the enamorment of being a sleaze bag? Someone gave me Saints Row III and once I realized that it was trash, I put it where it belonged.

Up there on your moral high horse riding with the OZ government, I see.

Don't need a moral horse to know this game is a piece of trash. And people wonder why legislators are calling for game reform. When they push the envelope this far just because they can, THQ deserves all the crap they get about this game.

For the second time now: THQ is gone - pull your head out.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

33. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 08:12 InBlack

I think they should be burning objectionale books too, and censoring the internet and TV. They should also only allow the positive news stories about what is going on in the country and in the world.

/end sarcasm.

Hey Ozmodan, Nazi Germany called, they want their propaganda minister back!

I have a nifty blue line!

32. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 08:03 Ozmodan

Agent.X7 wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 14:27:
Ozmodan wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 11:55:
Seriously, this title gets worse with every new version.

While I do not like the practice of banning anything, developers like this give the entire industry a black eye. Come on THQ, exercising such bad taste with a game like this is just beyond stupid.

What is the enamorment of being a sleaze bag? Someone gave me Saints Row III and once I realized that it was trash, I put it where it belonged.

Up there on your moral high horse riding with the OZ government, I see.

31. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 06:58 InBlack

Satoru wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 17:06:
avianflu wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:37:
Australia is growing oddly conservative and has been for some time.

oh and just try immigrating there. The answer will be no unless you are 20-something.

And white

And blonde, with big tits.

I have a nifty blue line!

30. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 26, 2013, 01:05 Agent.X7

Linksil wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 22:05:
Agent: I think that's giving meth addicts a bad name comparing them to him. Good thing the bibles been proven as the oldest work of fiction ever made.

You clearly have never met a meth addict in real life.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

29. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 22:05 Linksil

Agent: I think that's giving meth addicts a bad name comparing them to him. Good thing the bibles been proven as the oldest work of fiction ever made.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

28. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 21:02 Warchest

Weird that this has been 'refused classification'...
Why would they have a large stand at PAX Aus next month if they can't sell the game here? See: http://s3.amazonaws.com/media.guidebook.com/upload/7935/EXPO_HALL.jpg

Seems pretty unlikely to me that this will stick.

27. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 20:43 Agent.X7

nin wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 20:16:
Hellbinder wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 20:08:
Seriously WTF is wrong with all of you!

That's interesting, as we've frequently wonder what the fuck is wrong with you...

Clearly some sort of meth addict.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

26. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 20:16 nin

Hellbinder wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 20:08:

That's interesting, as we've frequently wonder what the fuck is wrong with you...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 20:08 Hellbinder

What kind of sick people are we? where we all get off on such ridiculous amounts of violence especially against women and other innocents? Who in their right mind even MAKES a game where you play through acts of rape and assault on women?

The Whales name is Bob.

24. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 18:28 Burrito of Peace

oh and just try immigrating there. The answer will be no unless you are 20-something.

I'm currently in the process of emigrating to Australia and, being 35, I am finding no barriers whatsoever. Their restrictions make sense. Why allow an influx of non-professional workers when the native labor workers are finding it hard to obtain a job?

I have a demonstrable skillset that Australian businesses need so that, obviously, is quite helpful.

23. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 18:17 NKD

Funny how the colonies are becoming the theocracies, and the UK and other parts in Europe are becomes godless heathen-states.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

22. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 18:02 Asmo

Meh, there are plenty of ways to get around it, VPN being the most obvious choice, although some etailers (GMG iirc, but also ozgamestore as well) will sell you Steam codes that work just fine.

The problem is that the board still has the ability to RC (refused classification) titles, ie. essentially banning the import and sale of them, but not the owning... RC spans the gap between R18 and illegal (beastiality/snuff/kiddie pron etc).

Never mind that Far Cry 3 was perfectly legal, Saints Row 3, GTAIV etc. And despite a nationwide move to R18, individual states can still stick to the older MA15+ only rating if they want to...

Fucking shitballs moral authorities and police states these days, you'd think living in the west and the first world, we'd have ended up further ahead of the game by now...

21. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 17:06 Satoru

And white

20. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 16:39 El Pit

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:14:
And that works to get around the "This game is not available in your region" ?

Gifting? Yes, it does. Although it's VERY annoying to ask some grown-ups (read: US citizens) for help. Makes me feel like a kid again. Thanks, Christian parties.

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

19. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 16:37 avianflu

18. THQ? Jun 25, 2013, 16:35 Darth Guybrush

You mean Volition / Deep Silver.

THQ are no more...

==
Steam: Darth Guybrush
XBox Live: Darth Guybrush

17. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 16:34 Slashman

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 16:14:

Well bizarrely enough I own Batman:Arkham City even though it is listed as unavailable in my region. I pre-ordered it based on owning a copy of Asylum for the 20% discount. All of a sudden, a few weeks after my preorder, the title was listed as unavailable.

However, it still unlocked on the stated date and allowed me to install and update.

16. Re: Saints Row IV Refused Oz Classification Jun 25, 2013, 16:14 eRe4s3r

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo