Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins

Tomorrow is the global launch date for Company of Heroes 2, Relic's military real-time strategy game sequel. Since it's already tomorrow in some territories like Australia, the Company of Heroes 2 website is tracking the progress of the game's release. This is also reflected on Steam News and the Steam page for the game also reveals an eye-opening amount of DLC, 26 packs in all (thanks nin), offering the chance to buy up to $55.74 in add-on tactics and skins for the $59.99 game, though these are all available as a $40 upgrade.

View
37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

37. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 26, 2013, 10:31 Verno

Yeah it's Tom Chick, he often posts hit bait 1/5 reviews for big games and 5/5 reviews for crap games. There are many criticisms I would make of the game but it is not a 1/5 star game, that's just absurdity.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 26, 2013, 10:25 SpectralMeat

I did play a bit last night too, the SP is pretty good, and I like the MP players vs Ai, it is like playing coop.
Hopefully I'll have more time on the weekend to play some more MP, it was fun.

That review with the 1 out of 5 is bullshit. Guy should go back to play CoD or something

Steam: SpectralMeat

35. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 26, 2013, 08:42 Verno

Played quite a bit last night, really enjoyed the pace and balance changes they made since closed beta. There's still some stuff that needs to be tweaked and improved though.  

34. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 26, 2013, 00:40 FloorPie

While I've had little experience with CoH1, I wasn't that impressed by the open beta. It ran fairly well on my machine (Radeon 5850 vid card, AMD quad 3.2ghz, 16gb ram) but it didn't strike me as worth $60.  

33. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 19:54 Kawlisse

Redmask wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 07:10:
Kawlisse wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 23:48
Be quiet and let the grown ups talk. [/quote:

I'm most probably older than you so ...

32. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 18:30 Redmask

That review is fucking stupid, I've played actual one star games and COH2 is more like a 3 even if it's not your thing.  

31. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 15:30 Fantaz

Company of Heroes 2 review got a 1 out of 5 stars (20%):

http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2013/06/24/company-of-heroes-2-is-a-real...

30. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 08:46 Verno

Dmitri_M wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 07:55:
This still looks like a COH expansion to me. Some of the reviews I've read confirm this. But I really didn't need reviews to know that. It was so obviously clear from the very first screenshots. Are PC gamers really happy to settle for the same engine and gameplay dressed up as a sequel at full price?

It's been 7 years since COH 1's release.

Nah this is not an expansion pack dressed up as a sequel, that sounds like cherry picking from the Quarter to Three review (which was very unfair in both scoring and inaccurate on several points) while ignoring the many positive ones. I played beta quite a bit and spent some time in the campaign last night, not to mention 6 years of COH. It has some very familiar elements and ideas which is fine in a sequel but has plenty of its own direction. The engine is hugely improved in both effects and general performance and the sound design is very impressive.

That said there are problems and a lot of us this stuff we pointed out in beta which ticks me off a bit.

- user interface hides too much info, why do I have to hover over things to see pertinent unit info that should always be displayed?

- UI in general is too damned big

- resource counter is horizontal and needs to pop out of the interface more

- snow mechanics add very little to the general gameplay, it's basically just flip a coin if you're going to attack or hunker down

- units and abilities like grenade tosses aren't as visible, it feels like you need to play zoomed in but doing so denies you tactical knowledge

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2013, 08:57.

29. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 08:38 SpectralMeat

I've played the first SP mission before work this morning and it is pretty good so far. Have to tweak the video card settings a bit, during the intro I got some pretty bad frame rate drops. Also liked the way the menu background screen came up, I thought that was pretty clever.

I did not pay full price for the game, thanks greenmangaming.
This game will probably take the cake for most achievements in a game ever! Maybe TeamFortress has more but still 350+ achievements?

I am looking forward to play it some more when I get home.

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 07:55 Dmitri_M

This still looks like a COH expansion to me. Some of the reviews I've read confirm this. But I really didn't need reviews to know that. It was so obviously clear from the very first screenshots. Are PC gamers really happy to settle for the same engine and gameplay dressed up as a sequel at full price?

It's been 7 years since COH 1's release.

27. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 07:17 Redmask

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 06:01:
Numinar wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 03:30:
Um, skins are O.K. but Commanders? Special call in units are attached to them, and we all know balance is impossible. Dick move son.

The Commanders really aren't anything special, they are actually combinations of the other commanders, and generally not in anything spectacular of quality.

That said, the DLC is really nothing more than a shortcut to unlock most of the stuff.

Yeah the DLC is just unlocks for the impatient, there is very little in there that you can't otherwise obtain. People tend to think they need all of the DLC for a complete experience but that's not the case here, the base game is quite large and the DLC is mostly cosmetic crap and unlocks so just ignore it.

26. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 07:10 Redmask

Kawlisse wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 23:48:
A white knight to the defense! whoppy f*****g doo ! not saying CoH had a good patching system, idiot, just saying him wasting this much time to get a game going at a lan, is really ridiculous and if he doesnt like it he should play on consoles instead. you dont have to screw aroung when console gaming. Now before throwing me an holy bible to my face, learn to read.

Be quiet and let the grown ups talk.

25. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 06:59 Numinar

Thanks DarkCntry, I guess I am spreading disinfo... I was worried they would paywall Tiger Tanks or somesuch.

By "That said, the DLC is really nothing more than a shortcut to unlock most of the stuff." Do you mean to say that all these skins and commanders are part of the XP unlock system? That's alright, no problems with that at all. Gots to make monies.

If not I think different combinations of abilities/call-ins can be powerful so it's strange to see a full price game put F2P style content behind a paywall. Even if it's not quite LoL style. Most my favorite call ins don't come with Guards Rifle for the Russians for instance, if there was a commander with that (possibly overpowered)combo behind a paywall that would annoy me no end. Missed pre-order so I guess I can wait for community feedback now anyway.

24. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 06:39 Flo

caralimon wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 03:54:
Flo wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 02:09:
So in one of the closed beta versions there was a bug which caused an ugly stuttering of the engine when the textures were anything but low on my 3 GB geforce 555m gt. -> Uninstalled. Any impressions on the latest version?

I had the exact same issue. Only with the later open Beta updates it was there EVEN with ugly textures set to minimum quality. 2 GB GeForce GT 555M here.

Plenty of people suffered this issue, mostly Nvidia users AFAIK. I posted about it in the (now closed) sega closed beta forum and the official response was "GT 555M is a shitty card on the level of an old 8800GT, so deal with it". Not that language of course, but that was the point.

Last time i checked ( a few days ago) the open beta scrolling around was still a stuttering mess, on top of the -horrible- overall performance.

So I'd say wait for the unlikely demo, or a throughly patched and cracked release to test it out before buying.

The release pricing and DLC plethora is a huge clusterfuck anyway.

Good to know! The card is good enough for a lot of better looking games so that's really a lame excuse from them.

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

23. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 06:01 DarkCntry

Numinar wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 03:30:
Um, skins are O.K. but Commanders? Special call in units are attached to them, and we all know balance is impossible. Dick move son.

The Commanders really aren't anything special, they are actually combinations of the other commanders, and generally not in anything spectacular of quality.

That said, the DLC is really nothing more than a shortcut to unlock most of the stuff.

22. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 03:54 caralimon

Flo wrote on Jun 25, 2013, 02:09:
So in one of the closed beta versions there was a bug which caused an ugly stuttering of the engine when the textures were anything but low on my 3 GB geforce 555m gt. -> Uninstalled. Any impressions on the latest version?

I had the exact same issue. Only with the later open Beta updates it was there EVEN with ugly textures set to minimum quality. 2 GB GeForce GT 555M here.

Plenty of people suffered this issue, mostly Nvidia users AFAIK. I posted about it in the (now closed) sega closed beta forum and the official response was "GT 555M is a shitty card on the level of an old 8800GT, so deal with it". Not that language of course, but that was the point.

Last time i checked ( a few days ago) the open beta scrolling around was still a stuttering mess, on top of the -horrible- overall performance.

So I'd say wait for the unlikely demo, or a throughly patched and cracked release to test it out before buying.

The release pricing and DLC plethora is a huge clusterfuck anyway.

21. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 03:30 Numinar

Civ 5 gets away with it, as it's not really a competitive MP game (it just pretends) and has more than enough content without DLC but CoH?

Game seems good though. Just disapointed it is not as revolutionary as the first release. This seems like it hasn't gone much further than ToV. Would have loved improvement to the individual unit AI, more of a zoom-out and an increase in weapons ranges, and some close combat stuff. Basically I want Men of War Assault Squad with CoH production values and UI streamlining.

And since Digital Mindsoft looks like they failed to crowdfund their new game, I guess I'll have to live with this.

This comment was edited on Jun 25, 2013, 03:49.

20. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 02:09 Flo

Supporter of the "Chewbacca Defense"

19. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 25, 2013, 00:54 ViRGE

wallace321 wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:57:
"Unnecessarily" if you didn't want to play it any more, I guess. The servers were shut down.
Exactly. It was Steamworks or nothing for CoH1. For CoH2 I'm not sure they really have a choice either; what else would you even use these days? Origin?

Anyhow, my patch-weary bones are glad that this is being launched on a service that will take care of all of this automatically. The heavy DLC is odd, but since it's skins I can't really complain.

18. Re: Company of Heroes 2 Global Launch Begins Jun 24, 2013, 23:53 Kawlisse

Cutter wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 23:31:
Kawlisse wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 22:50:
heres an Idea ! Maybe you should stick to console gaming, if you ever wasted that much time to get a game going on at a lan.

So if the Khaleesi is the mother of dragons I guess that makes you the mother of trolls.

Ok i'm a troll, because I said its stupid to waste half a day trying to get a game going at a lan party ! Still I stand by what I said! he should stick to consoles. easier for him and less time wasted on configuring stuff.

37 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo