Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled

The Kickstarter for Heavy Gear Assault now shows that the campaign to fund Stompy Bot Productions' upcoming mech game is canceled as of a couple of days ago, having raised a fraction of its $800K goal over most of a planned 40 day fundraiser. There is an update explaining the news, but that's for the eyes of their backers only, though with the campaign canceled they actually no longer have any backers. On Kickstarter, at least, as Joystiq notes there's a comment from the studio for public consumption saying they are continuing crowd-funding on heavygear.com, saying they "believe very strongly in resurrecting the Heavy Gear franchise and giving the fans what they want," though there's no word there about this yet. According to their statement: "We are currently evaluating other strategies to raise awareness regarding Heavy Gear." Thanks nin.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 21:29 Orogogus

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 19:48:
m0deth wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 17:03:
All these things being said and so far, nobody mentions that Heavy Gear sucked. Period.

That's because that's an opinion, and a minority opinion. Don't state it as if it were an indisputable fact. The review scores - especially for Heavy Gear II - were high, and a lot of people cite it as a favorite.

I kind of agree, though. Not knowing anything about the Heavy Gear universe, I thought HG2 was a mess.

- Multiplayer had about a hundred variants, and the only way to compare them was to flip through them one at a time in the game -- nothing in the manual, no PDF.

- You had dozens of weapons with damage, range and rate of fire characteristics rated as "good", "fair", etc. so that you'd often have two guns with identical profiles and no idea why one might be better than the other.

- The targeting computer applies a multiplier to your damage, but there's no documentation or in-game information on what that multiplier is.

- Everything you shoot at just has a health bar representing total armor/health, even though damage is per-location, and things die from a green bar all the time. So basically a lot of combat plays out as you shooting a weapon with "good" damage with a hidden multiplier against a target that has a big green health bar, and at some point it either blows up or it doesn't.

- Peer-to-peer online play when all its competitors were already client-server.

- An incredibly vague campaign intro cinematic; the only reason I knew what happened was because I read the online previews.

I do find it weird that people remember it more fondly than MW3 or Starsiege.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 20:46 jdreyer

Yup, basically:

1. There are already 2 versions of their proposal that came out within the past year: MWO and Hawken. This is a niche genre that was feeling saturated.

2. Many, many game projects on KS are driven by nostalgia. For mech games, that means a single player campaign with total mech customization and possibly an economic component. That combination of strategy, tactics, action, and narrative is a compelling one.

3. If there was any oxygen remaining after that, it got sucked way by Titanfall.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

18. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 19:49 Wowbagger_TIP

No real SP game was the main reason I wasn't interested either. I don't play a lot of MP, so it's very much just a nice to have thing for me. Give me a good SP game, first and foremost.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

17. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 19:48 Blackhawk

All these things being said and so far, nobody mentions that Heavy Gear sucked. Period.

That's because that's an opinion, and a minority opinion. Don't state it as if it were an indisputable fact. The review scores - especially for Heavy Gear II - were high, and a lot of people cite it as a favorite.

16. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 18:09 Pr()ZaC

walrus1 wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 16:07:
SINGLE PLAYER!!! For the love of all things good and holy focus on the SINGLE PLAYER.

That's why they failed so badly. Initially, they promoted the game as a MP/PvP/Arena game and left out SP gamers.
When they heard that a big chunk of gamers wanted SP, they tried to add content for it but it was already too late.

I want a Mechwarrior 2 remake sooo bad...

15. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 17:21 nin

No, this had nothing to do with SP missions, and whether games sell or not due to them, some do, some don't. Get over it.

You're entitled to you opinion, but folks here have said they wanted SP, which is why we didn't pledge.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 17:13 eRe4s3r

You mean the 800 people who pledged for this?  

13. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 17:11 Parias

I tried real hard to like it when it had an SP game, but it always wreaked of second-rate "we're just like Mechwarrior" bandwagon jumping, even back then.

I rather enjoyed it Even with the campy FMV cutscenes. The soundtrack for HG1 was pretty awesome (still listen to it to this day) and I thought the missions had pretty good atmosphere to them.

I thought HG2 was a lot of fun as well, just fell quite a bit short of it's potential.

12. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 17:03 m0deth

I tried real hard to like it when it had an SP game, but it always wreaked of second-rate "we're just like Mechwarrior" bandwagon jumping, even back then.

Stompy-Bot forgot this somehow. You can't blame them, with IGP snapping up the Mech IP license for combat sim(loosely used) and tactical strategy gaming...it's not like they had a bunch to pick from without trying to license some Anime stuff....which worked so well for the Exteel guys.

No, this had nothing to do with SP missions, and whether games sell or not due to them, some do, some don't. Get over it. This was complete lack of forsight combined with not recognizing their chosen subject matter was total crap from the get go.

They tried to fund a 3rd person arena game using mechs from a failed franchise and expected it to be well received in the midst of MWO and Hawken. This was dumb.

11. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 16:50 deqer

Darks wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:38:
Saw this coming before it really even got off the ground. Arena style combat and no SP Campaign will kill your game in a heartbeat.
Then why do people still play Quake 3 to this day?

10. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 16:07 walrus1

SINGLE PLAYER!!! For the love of all things good and holy focus on the SINGLE PLAYER.  

9. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 15:18 LanikTnt

The game they wanted to make has already been made. It's called MechWarrior online.  

8. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:59 Elf Shot The Food

I wonder why they wanted $800,000? That seems like a lot of money, unless they had to pay licensing fees too.  

7. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:41 eRe4s3r

At least on Kickstarter.. it might do well as a f2p game.  

6. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:38 Darks

Saw this coming before it really even got off the ground. Arena style combat and no SP Campaign will kill your game in a heartbeat.  

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

5. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:33 Cutter

Yeah, they obviously don't understand what people want which is an amazing SP campaign. With that sort of tunnel vision and arrogance they'll never get anywhere close to getting the money they need. And even if they won the lottery and made it, no one would buy it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

4. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:25 Prez

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:08:
Blackhawk wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 13:48:
You want to 'give the fans what they want', and yet they have clearly shown that they don't want what you're giving them.

Stop evaluating other funding and start evaluating the product. Find out what people like about Heavy Gear and make that game.

Yeah, they went from "no single player" to "single player...in an arena". Whoo?

I think I understand why they went the route they did, and I understand SP isn't cheap, dev wise, but it's why I never bothered pledging.

Same here. Heavy Gear was all about the singleplayer for me.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:19 eRe4s3r

All they would need to do is give us a huge open world, modding ability, and a semi-realistic mech sim behind it. Think ARMA with MECHS. The modding community could carry it from there making campaigns and interesting stories around it. They could sell expansions with new gameplay and new mechs that have new abilities that go beyond what modders can lift alone.

But this project never wanted to do what the community wanted. They wanted to make cash by locking it down. No mods, no open world, only arena deathmatch. 800 people wanted it I am laughing, told em it was a stupid idea... the niche is there, it's for SP Mech game with (some form of) good story and modding foundation.

This would cost FAR LESS than what they asked for here. And it would give them a first foray into the market.

Open World would even allow for a dynamic war campaign, you wouldn't even need a story. And it could still be playable COOP or MP (maybe even both sides playable). But meh, no unique ideas from this developer.. I can come up with cooler ideas while typing this.. which makes me sad... I want a MECH SP GAME ;/ or a open world dynamic war MECH game. Where lots of tactical options exist. Where I can get out of my mech and hoof it by foot or vehicle, where I can fly stuff or enter buildings... where resource and supply matters... BAH ;p

Just read the forums and you know why this project failed... there is no vision behind it. (or they failed to communicate it)

2. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 14:08 nin

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 13:48:
You want to 'give the fans what they want', and yet they have clearly shown that they don't want what you're giving them.

Stop evaluating other funding and start evaluating the product. Find out what people like about Heavy Gear and make that game.

Yeah, they went from "no single player" to "single player...in an arena". Whoo?

I think I understand why they went the route they did, and I understand SP isn't cheap, dev wise, but it's why I never bothered pledging.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Heavy Gear Assault Kickstarter Canceled Jun 24, 2013, 13:48 Blackhawk

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo