Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint?

A Steam community post announces that the Steam Trading Cards program will be leaving beta on Wednesday June 26th at 1:00 pm EDT. PCGamesN notes this includes a hint that Valve's annual summer sale may be nearing, as they cap the news with: "Making trading cards available to all Steam users is a step towards an event we think everyone can be excited about..." Thanks VG247.

View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 20:53 jacobvandy

jimnms wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 20:33:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:07:
Alright -- someone give me the short version explanation of what these "Steam Trading Cards" are. I have not been paying attention.
It's a cheap cash grab for Valve. You can only earn half of the cards by playing the game. The rest you have to get by trading or buying them from the market (which Valve gets a cut).

I don't understand how it's supposed to work. If you can only unlock half the cards for a game, then how do you get the other half by actually trading them? If another person trades the half they have, then they can't unlock the badge. They did add booster packs, but it's a small chance to drop that goes up the higher your "level."

Once you collect all the cards and craft the badge, are the cards consumed or can you still trade them? I haven't collected a full set of cards to craft a badge, so I don't know. It would make since if you keep the cards after crafting the badge, otherwise it seems that only half of a game's owners can get the full set.

Oh and I still have two beta invites if anyone wants them.

Cards are consumed, just like crafting materials are consumed in games. I believe you can keep collecting them and level up your badge for additional XP, at least for the games where cards are effectively infinite (TF2, Dota 2). The thing about only earning half the cards (or possibly not even, I've gotten several doubles), is that it forces you to trade (directly for free or indirectly via the market). There are plenty of people who don't care about the badges or leveling up their Steam profile, to supply cards for everyone else. And then of course the boosters, which I think would just be applied more liberally in the case that activity dies down for whatever reason. But a lot of people just trade cards for some games in order to get the badges for others. If you do your research, you can actually make a profit while still getting badges, because some cards are worth more.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 20:33 jimnms

Alright -- someone give me the short version explanation of what these "Steam Trading Cards" are. I have not been paying attention.
It's a cheap cash grab for Valve. You can only earn half of the cards by playing the game. The rest you have to get by trading or buying them from the market (which Valve gets a cut).

I don't understand how it's supposed to work. If you can only unlock half the cards for a game, then how do you get the other half by actually trading them? If another person trades the half they have, then they can't unlock the badge. They did add booster packs, but it's a small chance to drop that goes up the higher your "level."

Once you collect all the cards and craft the badge, are the cards consumed or can you still trade them? I haven't collected a full set of cards to craft a badge, so I don't know. It would make since if you keep the cards after crafting the badge, otherwise it seems that only half of a game's owners can get the full set.

Oh and I still have two beta invites if anyone wants them.

Steam Profile

18. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 19:49 Panickd

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:17:

You get cards for playing certain games (games added all the time). Sets of cards unlock small frilly stuff (backgrounds for your profile, etc) and give you XP. XP is what determines your steam level. Cards can be traded or sold.

Not a big deal, but if you have the collector twitch, it's something else to do.

Unless you're someone that feels the need to have every badge for every game it's possible to get one for the cards are useless once you get your Steam level ranking to 10. Once you are level 10 you have a (very small) chance of getting a foil card drop (which are also useless but worth more on the market than the common cards). Outside of that the "levels" are pointless. Selling the cards is a good way to pick up some games for free though. But if you're not one of the first on the market with a new card set you probably won't get much for them.

17. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 17:40 ViRGE

nin wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 14:17:

You get cards for playing certain games (games added all the time). Sets of cards unlock small frilly stuff (backgrounds for your profile, etc) and give you XP. XP is what determines your steam level. Cards can be traded or sold.

Not a big deal, but if you have the collector twitch, it's something else to do.

That sounds like it's more targeted towards the OCD crowd than the collector crowd...

16. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 14:28 Pigeon

This means I need to step-up my gaming efforts so I can finish those games I bought last summer. Doesn't help that I'm playing morrowind again thanks to that upgrade mega patch. I think that's my biggest problem, getting distracted by some other games that for whatever reason really get their hooks into me. That or I hit a lull in a game, stop for a bit then completely forget what I was doing, which makes it hard to get back into. Oh first world problems  

15. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 14:17 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

14. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 14:07 Mr. Tact

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

13. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 14:05 nin

Then there's Shadowrun in July

WOOT!

12. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 14:03 jacobvandy

I've gotten big into Rocksmith this year, so I've been waiting for a sale that discounts all the DLC by 50% or something... Need moar songs.  

11. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 13:39 Cutter

Oh man, I'm almost finished Dead Island though I still have the Ryder DLC to do after that. And I still have 10 other games on my desktop I have to finish - beyond the other standards like Civ and such that always draw me in for a session now and then. Still, I only have about 15 games on my wishlist and I suspect only several of them will be cheap enough for the summer sale to pick up and the rest will have to wait for winter. Then there's Shadowrun in July, the TESO beta, and we'll see what's what with Everquest Next in August.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

10. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 13:29 jacobvandy

Adding on to my previous comment... I just found out about the newish trading card booster packs. It's sort of a random prize handed out to random people at some intervals (might be random) who have already received all the free card drops for a game, and will give you three more cards when you open it up. Meaning a) you don't necessarily have to trade or buy cards to complete a badge and b) that's even MORE cards (don't know how many without knowing the rate at which these packs are doled out) to drive the prices even LOWER with time.

I'm not sure if people who have crafted the badges are eligible for booster packs for those games... I'd venture to guess they are, otherwise people would wait to craft a badge just to increase their chances of getting boosters, right? But one thing's for sure... If you're interested in the trading cards at all, make sure you spend the little bit of time (usually less than an hour) playing each game to earn all the drops you can, so you maximize your eligibility for getting boosters.

9. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 12:55 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 12:19:
nin wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 11:45:
xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 11:37:
Prices are going to go through the roof....need to hld onto some of this stuff to sell at a premium!

Is there a max size to the steam inventory? I don't have the number in front of me (at work) but between extra copies, coupons, and now cards, I'm afraid I'm going to run out of room and lose a card drop...

edit: Now that I think about it, I think my coupons were all up around July 1. Maybe the sale is next week, after the coupons expire?

I delete my coupons or trade them for nothing. theyare worthless.

Wait wait wait...didn't you trade me a coupon for a steam card?

Dota2 Dispenser Bot has 42k Dota2 keys, so the inventory size is at least that big. It's a bot someone made to give or take keys, so it has a ton.

Excellent, thank you! Was afraid it was just one page or something...

8. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 12:39 Frijoles

Is there a max size to the steam inventory?

Dota2 Dispenser Bot has 42k Dota2 keys, so the inventory size is at least that big. It's a bot someone made to give or take keys, so it has a ton.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dota2bot

7. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 12:38 ASeven

Steam sales?

http://i.minus.com/iU2Y8bZWjrrA2.png

6. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 12:23 jacobvandy

The prices of cards will only go down, with a massive influx of users gathering them and a sizable portion of those users completely uninterested in the badges. That means they'll just be throwing them up for sale. If you've been participating in the beta and watching the marketplace for how much new cards sell for, they usually start around $4-5 and then slide right on down to less than $1 within a matter of hours. Many games' cards are less than $0.50 each.

It's true that the supply of cards is technically limited (for any game that doesn't allow earning more drops by spending money), but realistically, we will never, ever get to the point where supply dwindles and prices skyrocket. It's more likely that Steam as a service will cease to exist before that happens.

5. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 12:19 xXBatmanXx

Prices are going to go through the roof....need to hld onto some of this stuff to sell at a premium!

Is there a max size to the steam inventory? I don't have the number in front of me (at work) but between extra copies, coupons, and now cards, I'm afraid I'm going to run out of room and lose a card drop...

edit: Now that I think about it, I think my coupons were all up around July 1. Maybe the sale is next week, after the coupons expire?

I delete my coupons or trade them for nothing. theyare worthless.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 11:45 nin

3. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 11:37 xXBatmanXx

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

2. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 10:31 SpectralMeat

Rhino wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 10:23:
It would make sense. If I'm correct (pretty sure that I am) the Summer ale started on the last Thursday of June in the previous two years.

Yes they usually start either last Thursday of June or first Thursday of July.

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Steam Cards Leave Beta - Summer Sale Hint? Jun 24, 2013, 10:23 Rhino

It would make sense. If I'm correct (pretty sure that I am) the Summer ale started on the last Thursday of June in the previous two years.

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo