Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance

Roberts Space Industries offers a new trailer showing off the ORIGIN Jumpworks 300 Series line of spacecraft from Star Citizen, the upcoming space combat game from the man behind the Wing Commander series. The accompanying post outlines various ways these ships are being bundled for purchase with the game, and there's also a post from "Chairman" Chris Roberts adding some urgency to all this:

For people on the fence about jumping in and backing Star Citizen, this promotion and next week’s “grace” period (more below) will be your last chance to get Life Time Insurance (LTI) with your ship! Those who want to jump right in to Star Citizen’s roles will enjoy the 300i, which allows them to go farther, faster (and since it’s an ORIGIN design, you’ll do it in style!).

View
109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

109. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 25, 2013, 08:49 nin

Once you got high level and really good hardware, you'd randomly get attacked by 18 pirates, each of them flying the heaviest fighter in the game, and you were in for a 20 minute dogfight. Jump to next sector, rinse repeat.

I was trying to remember why I didn't finish it, after a strong start, and, now that you remind me, I think that was why...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

108. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 25, 2013, 02:04 Creston

The one awesome thing about freelancer were the sectors. It had genuinely beautiful sectors, that were fun and exciting to explore, and looked and felt different from one another.

I've been telling Egosoft for 8 years to take that page from the Freelancer book for their own sector design, but sadly all the sectors in X are still just 100km by 100km boxes with a few fabs randomly thrown in there.

The really fucking terrible thing about Freelancer was that it scaled a la oblivion. A pirate attack when you were level 5 was easily handled. Once you got high level and really good hardware, you'd randomly get attacked by 18 pirates, each of them flying the heaviest fighter in the game, and you were in for a 20 minute dogfight. Jump to next sector, rinse repeat.

It had beautiful space and a cool system of the spacelanes. I thought the story was pretty decent, and Ian Ziering did a good job on the voice acting. But it had terrible gameplay...

Creston

107. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 09:11 InBlack

I felt that Freelancer was a dud. Like nin said the third person was very offputting as was the K/M setup but I could have lived with that if the game had any depth to it whatsoever. It really didnt, the story was a snoozefest. The 'dogfighting' was very arcadey and shallow, it felt like a glorified version of a top-down starfighter game. Or more acurately an extreemly dumbed down X game. I guess thats ok for a lot of people but after the Wing Commander games and Starlancer it felt like a big let down to me. Still a lot of people liked it so I guess its not a bad game per-se it just might not suit everyone.  

I have a nifty blue line!

106. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 08:45 nin

Krizzen wrote on Jun 24, 2013, 01:28:
nin wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:43:
and never got into Wing Commander.

I think that would explain it.

What about freelancer? Did you ever play it?

Nope. I just did a quick search on Freelancer, and it seems interesting enough. I might give it a go.

While not the true Wing Commander experience, it was a fun game, and I'm hope some of it's features (as far as exploration, open, universe, missions, etc) make it into SC.

And don't let the controls throw you right off the bat, like me and a lot of people felt. I eventually got pretty decent with the K/M setup.

105. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 08:41 Mr. Tact

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:44:
If you have been around modern gaming for long enough you've only been screwed about a hundred times - that tends to breed a very healthy skepticism about these kinds of too-good-to-be-true projects.
Exactly, I like everything they are saying and promising. But at this point it sounds a little too good to be true. I hope I'm wrong -- only time will tell.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

104. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 03:32 InBlack

I smell another Flagship. Only this will make Flagship look like Blizzard by comparison....when are they going to show some gameplay? This trailer looked very expensive to produce, is that where the KS money is going? People are buying swag/ships for a non-existing game that may come out...when exactly?

I really really hope Im wrong.

I have a nifty blue line!

103. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 01:28 Krizzen

nin wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:43:

Nope. I just did a quick search on Freelancer, and it seems interesting enough. I might give it a go.

102. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 24, 2013, 00:54 Dev

kanniballl wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 23:16:
Observations
  • Slightly better start-up ships? That's fine

• Some decent cargo-ships instead of that start-up courier-class ships? Meh

• For the above (for now) they're trying to entice donations so of course milk it. But even after release... they ships are quite stock and don't have anything special.
    Don't forget the other ones I mentioned. The constellation with multiple turrets and a fighter bay, available at $250, and the pirate ship with multiple turrets avail as a $100+ add-on.
    And there was also that limited time $300 alien fighter ship.

This comment was edited on Jun 24, 2013, 01:06.

101. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 23:16 kanniballl

I admit, this whole PayToWin thing IS a fine-line. They were apparently questioned about that explicitly in E3. So I imagine they might be evaluating stuff in the next 18 months. Heck, they STILL don't have stuff like how fuel is going to play out nailed down, so they can change their mind on stuff. Look at Microsoft.

Observations
  • Slightly better start-up ships? That's fine

• Some decent cargo-ships instead of that start-up courier-class ships? Meh

• For the above (for now) they're trying to entice donations so of course milk it. But even after release... they ships are quite stock and don't have anything special. There will be much better ships (including rare ones) you can find in-game. Add that it sounds like gear isn't transferrable between ships and it's definitely not bad.

BUT
  • Convert cash -> ingame currency which can be used to buy weapons? That's crossing the line.

• Sure, they're putting a limit / cap on the monthly amount you can do this with but unless that limit only lets you do a minuscule amount it's still somewhat crossing the line.

At least PvP is sounding like it's MOSTLY an opt-in thing. So there's that. If I want to enhance my single-player experience a little. And as Jimmns said, reputation and stuff can't be earned.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

100. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 23:02 Optional Nickname!

I share your viewpoint almost precisely and I suspect you also played Chris Roberts shoot-em-ups in the past thus begging the question, how many, if any, RSI 'fans' are not Chris Roberts old-school game fans?

The strength of those games alone was reason enough for me to support Star Citizen.

99. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 22:37 jimnms

Flatline wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:47:
    In a sandbox environment "winning" more or less means "getting to do what you want".

If it takes X number of hours of boredom mining asteroids and hauling inexpensive freight from point A to point B in order to make enough money to afford a ship that lets you play how you want, and then someone else who wants to play the way you want to play pulls out a credit card and skips those X hours, I'd say that's "pay to win". Or if it wasn't a transaction, and it was say... a code or a hack, it'd be cheating. So how about instead of pay to win it's pay to cheat?

I'd call that PN2P (Pay Not to Play). They've mentioned several times on forum discussions that they don't want users to have to grind. You will still have to work your way up to afford better ships, but that journey should be a fun experience. If someone wants to drop a load of real money in the game to get a better starting ship, that's not going to have any effect on you, and that money goes to further expand the game for everyone. Citizenship and reputation can't be bought, so they still have to play the game to earn that.

Steam Profile

98. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:47 Flatline

jimnms wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 15:42:
    Since the game isn't based around PvP, I don't see how it can be called P2W. It's more like P2GaBS (Pay to Get a Better Start).

In a sandbox environment "winning" more or less means "getting to do what you want".

If it takes X number of hours of boredom mining asteroids and hauling inexpensive freight from point A to point B in order to make enough money to afford a ship that lets you play how you want, and then someone else who wants to play the way you want to play pulls out a credit card and skips those X hours, I'd say that's "pay to win". Or if it wasn't a transaction, and it was say... a code or a hack, it'd be cheating. So how about instead of pay to win it's pay to cheat?

97. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:43 nin

96. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:20 Dev

Krizzen wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 21:06:
    I'm probably alone, but this whole Star Citizen thing is a big snorefest to me. Of course, I don't play EVE and never got into Wing Commander.

Wake me up when there's a new TIE Fighter.
    If star citizen is successful enough we might see disney sub-contract such a game out.

Or we might never ever see it happen. The nice thing about this game is that its a generic space sim. No need to deal with EA on old origins IP.

95. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 21:06 Krizzen

I'm probably alone, but this whole Star Citizen thing is a big snorefest to me. Of course, I don't play EVE and never got into Wing Commander.

Wake me up when there's a new TIE Fighter.

94. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 19:25 Dev

Well, I guess you missed my point - skepticism is NOT griping. You are clueless if you think my reservations are based on forking out money. My Steam catalog alone is up to almost 2000 games and dlc packs, and I own over half of the GOG catalog, so spending money on gaming isn't a problem for me. If you have been around modern gaming for long enough you've only been screwed about a hundred times - that tends to breed a very healthy skepticism about these kinds of too-good-to-be-true projects. You mention his pedigree - need I go into how many developers with amazing pedigrees have completely lost their touch or just gone off the rails? Molyneux, Will Wright, John Carmack, Cliff Blezinski, Warren Spector, etc, etc, etc? Does Roberts still have his mojo after al this time? Who knows. Nothing really can be "safely assumed" in this day and age, and most people have learned that the hard way.

The point is, despite how negative this sounds, I am rooting for Roberts to do what you are saying he will with this release. I really am. But I guess I am just too jaded to get all excited anymore about these wonderful sounding projects. Talk to me again when the game ships and we can put it through its paces. If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.
    I agree completely. Of course my steam catalog is "only" about 800 games.
    And I've already pledged in the KS for this game.
    I'm also rooting for Roberts to succeed, I just have my doubts (in large part, based on info thats already been released by him about this project, such as the massive private funding it has).

I'm much more optimistic about Wasteland 2, and every video they've released of it just gets me more optimistic

93. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 17:49 kanniballl

Julio wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 16:51:
    If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.

I'll be second to admit it. But I'm pretty confident this will be pay-to-win http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed as the link shows.

It will be interesting to see if full functionality makes it to 'run your own online server', and if the single player game is very short.

LOL, yeh they went overboard with the "Brochure" and the "Commercial" But they were A) making a psuedo teaser / trailer showing off the Enginend B) wanted people to keep donating.

If you're going to show off your engine AND get some dollahs, you might as well show off the sexier of your ships. (The Hornet is better but looks worse/uglier/weirder).

ULTIMATELY, the 300-series specs doesn't look that great of a ship. It's just a little better than the starter stuff. They have a bunch listed already, and some not far enough into conception to show. For example, supposedly there are a bunch of Origin-series ships that they haven't shown yet (like the 500-series and some other BMW-themed names).

That all being said: the game really can go either way. Good or crud. Fair or PayToWin. It's kind of too early to tell.

Heck it could be a scam for all we know. Nov 2014 is a LOOOONG way away.

-

This comment was edited on Jun 23, 2013, 18:16.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
    -Fry, Futurama

92. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 16:51 Julio

If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.

I'll be second to admit it. But I'm pretty confident this will be pay-to-win http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-300-series-revealed as the link shows.

It will be interesting to see if full functionality makes it to 'run your own online server', and if the single player game is very short.

91. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 16:44 Prez

Well, I guess you missed my point - skepticism is NOT griping. You are clueless if you think my reservations are based on forking out money. My Steam catalog alone is up to almost 2000 games and dlc packs, and I own over half of the GOG catalog, so spending money on gaming isn't a problem for me. If you have been around modern gaming for long enough you've only been screwed about a hundred times - that tends to breed a very healthy skepticism about these kinds of too-good-to-be-true projects. You mention his pedigree - need I go into how many developers with amazing pedigrees have completely lost their touch or just gone off the rails? Molyneux, Will Wright, John Carmack, Cliff Blezinski, Warren Spector, etc, etc, etc? Does Roberts still have his mojo after al this time? Who knows. Nothing really can be "safely assumed" in this day and age, and most people have learned that the hard way.

The point is, despite how negative this sounds, I am rooting for Roberts to do what you are saying he will with this release. I really am. But I guess I am just too jaded to get all excited anymore about these wonderful sounding projects. Talk to me again when the game ships and we can put it through its paces. If it turns out as great as you expect, I'll be the first to admit my fears were unfounded.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
    - Mahatma Gandhi

90. Re: Star Citizen - Life Time Insurance Last Chance Jun 23, 2013, 16:02 1badmf

Prez wrote on Jun 23, 2013, 13:27:
    Just wanted to point out that "If anyone can do this right, it's Chris Roberts" does not equal "Guaranteed Success". One man's griping is another man's healthy skepticism.

i'm pretty sure nobody here said anything about guaranteed success, just being optimistic based on the source. the griping is unfounded in my opinion because roberts has as rock-solid a history as can be had.

if you don't like the economic model of the multiplayer then just get the game and stick to squadron 42. i don't think much needs to be said in that regard because if there's one thing you can safely assume base on history, it's that CR knows how to build an epic SP campaign.

otherwise what would you guys have him do, run a persistent space sim completely for free? you guys don't want to pay for items and you don't want a subscription model. so you can see where guys like me get annoyed with the griping - to me it's just a lot of bellyaching for the sake of negativity because viable alternatives are never even discussed.

he's trying to save the space sim genre and he's got to make money doing it, or it'll never come back because other devs will see there's no money to be made. you have to accept you'll be forking out dough one way or another. i'm fine with the model he's proposing. it's not P2W. that was always about buying major advantages with cash. if you wanna call buying versatility with cash P2W then you're just changing the definition to suit your griping, but it's not like you're starting out with a tie fighter and then forking out $100 bucks to buy a B-wing.

109 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo