Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Whore of the Orient Raises Cash

GameInformer has word that troubled developer Team Bondi has raised some development capital for Whore of the Orient, their planned next project. Word is backer KMM has secured a modest grant, with the John in this case being Australia: "KMM has received $200,000 in funding from New South Wales' Interactive Media Fund. Screen NSW, the entity that handles the funding, is the governmental organization that handles filming and related activities in and around Sydney, Australia." $200K wouldn't pay for the pencil holders at 38 Studios, so it is probably not enough to complete the game, but as Game Informer notes, this is a sign that the project still lives.

View
17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

17. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 22:34 ^Drag0n^

What a whoreably misguiding title....  

"Never start a fight, but always finish it."
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

16. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 22:22 Ladron3dfx

-Asian Hooker Simulator- Worship

C'mere mamas, I need a lap dance! (waves a $20)

*There is No Sex in the Champaign Room* Crying

Steamworks

15. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 19:44 SlimRam

Teddy wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 19:04:
Wildone wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:05:
so its about Asian hookers? Im in

<insert Steel Panther's "Asian Hooker" here for theme music>

And the obligatory 'Full Metal Jacket' quote, "ME LOVE YOU LOOOONG TIME!" Army

I saw a hearse driving in the carpool lane the other day and I thought to myself, "That's cheating"

14. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 19:04 Teddy

Wildone wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:05:

<insert Steel Panther's "Asian Hooker" here for theme music>

13. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 18:07 Julio

Definitely a hooker game has to be pay-to-win. Otherwise a completely missed opportunity. The top level kickstarter tiers (if this was kickstarted) would be hilarious.  

12. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 18:01 jdreyer

In a world where publishers cater to the lowest common denomonator, I'm glad someone is attempting to make a game with mature themes.  

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

11. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 17:52 jacobvandy

The problem is, "edgy" for you is over-the-top, cover-your-ears, put-a-quarter-in-the-swear-jar-for-uttering-that to the average consumer, i.e. the majority of the people who walk through Wal-Mart or Best Buy and would be offended just to see it on the shelf. Some will even make it a point to complain to the manager. Multiply that reaction by 500 or so to get an idea of what will happen once special interest groups catch wind of it. Letter-writing campaigns, negative comments on surveys, boycotts coordinated through social media... Not to mention all the flak they'll be catching from the increasingly, erm, sensitive gaming press. Yeah, good luck, Bondi.  

10. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 16:43 KS

Part of the strategy is the edgy name. But for that, I wouldn't even care abou this FPS, umm, MMO, umm, RPG, umm, Habbo Hotel clone, umm...

See? I wanna play it and don't even know what it is!

9. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 13:28 Cutter

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:39:
I'm talking about publishers, people backing it and making it possible. Retailers won't carry that name, regardless of the actual content, so it won't be releasing physically.

True. What are games like COD and BF after all? If you called them COD the MURDER SIMULATOR it probably wouldn't go over that big with public. Funny how a word can set people off yet they don't give a whit about the actual content.

Also, crippled people are crippled, they’re not differently-abled. If you insist on using tortured language like differently-abled, then you must include all of us. We’re all differently-abled. You can do things I can’t do; I can do things you can’t do. I can pick my nose with my thumb, and I can switch hands while masturbating and gain a stroke. We’re all differently-abled. Crippled people are simply crippled. It’s a perfectly honorable word. There is no shame in it. It’s in the Bible: “Jesus healed the cripples.” He didn’t engage in rehabilitative strategies for the physically disadvantaged. - George Carlin

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

8. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 13:05 Wildone

7. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 12:39 jacobvandy

I'm talking about publishers, people backing it and making it possible. Retailers won't carry that name, regardless of the actual content, so it won't be releasing physically.  

6. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 12:07 Morga

That's a very expensive hooker.

jacobvandy "They could have the greatest idea for a game ever, but nobody will touch it with a name like that. If they don't swallow their pride/suddenly find some common sense"

People will buy it if the game is good enough.

Also prostitution is the oldest profession in human history and it should be legal between consenting adults.

5. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:47 jacobvandy

They could have the greatest idea for a game ever, but nobody will touch it with a name like that. If they don't swallow their pride/suddenly find some common sense, they'll be lucky to get a couple million and self-publish on the Humble Bundle store or something.  

4. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:46 Creston

She raised 200K? That's one popular whore! HEEEEYO!

/shows self out.

Creston

3. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

1. Run a company terribly and in an exploitative manner.
2. Have your company go bankrupt despite your one project selling reasonably well.
3. Get free taxpayer dollars despite clearly learning nothing.
4. ???
5. Profit?

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

2. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:03 NKD

200k? Whore of the Orient: Minecraft mod edition.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. Re: Whore of the Orient Raises Cash Jun 21, 2013, 11:02 Cutter

Well I'm sure plenty of whores in the Orient raise cash. Probably much easier and quicker than Team Bondi does. Maybe they should get into the pimping business.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo