Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Scrolls in the Black After One Week

A tweet from almost two weeks ago that we missed at the time (thanks PC Gamer) has word from Mojang that Scrolls became profitable just one week into open beta testing of the card-based strategy game. Word is: "Wow. The revenue for one week of Scrolls in open beta now covers the entire development cost. The game is profitable!"

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 20:55 bigspender

Covering the entire cost of development means you have now broken even, that's not the same as making a profit.

Better leave the number crunching to someone else mate.

Adults are just children that are allowed to make their own decisions.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 19:47 Nate

Scrolls has way too much of a pay to win element. I too prefer Card Hunter.  

13. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 19:22 Beamer

Julio wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 17:55:
But Cliffy B. says you can't make money in the gaming industry? Someone must be wrong.

Your logic is more broken than his.
Do you want every game to be a card game from Notch with rudimentary graphics that charges for beta?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 17:55 Julio

But Cliffy B. says you can't make money in the gaming industry? Someone must be wrong.  

11. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 16:13 HorrorScope

Hey if they are upfront about what they are selling, you then have a choice to accept it or not.  

10. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 16:13 Sir Graves

I prefer Card Hunter. And it's free.  

9. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 14:57 NKD

Blackhawk wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:37:
If I'm making a prototype widget, and I let you buy it, telling you upfront is a prototype only, with the final product to be presented at some future time, it doesn't somehow become a finished product because I accepted payment, nor am I 'tricking' you if I told you upfront that it was only a prototype.

Yeah, the truth is, people are so accustomed to buggy pieces of shit masquerading as finished products, that products that straight out say "I'm buggy! Buy at your own peril!" are a refreshing change of pace. Like you said, there's no trick. It's all out in the open.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

8. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 13:37 Blackhawk

If I'm making a prototype widget, and I let you buy it, telling you upfront is a prototype only, with the final product to be presented at some future time, it doesn't somehow become a finished product because I accepted payment, nor am I 'tricking' you if I told you upfront that it was only a prototype.

7. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 13:32 Cutter

Well how hard is it to knock off a TCG? Hell, just steal what already exists for the many of them out there and simply rename them with some new artwork, the same stats and Bob's yer uncle.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

6. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 13:26 jdreyer

Ludomancer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:01:
Yeah, it's a clever trick developers have played on the consumer world, making people pay for incomplete products. Oh well...
Is the game any good?

The GWJ guys said that it was very good, addictive, even if it was derivative. They really liked it.

As far as selling beta software, I don't see anything wrong with that. Devs develop games for a six months, a year, two years with no income. Selling betas is a good way to ensure a quality game, get feedback before release, got more eyes on product to find bugs, etc. There's nothing "tricky" about it, it's actually quite honest. It's clearly labeled "in beta."

I'd much prefer this model where independent developers sell beta access to help fund their game than the 100% publisher-funded model with its endless iterations of military shooters and high fantasy RPGs.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 13:23 PunkiBastardo

I'm in the beta and find it enjoyable. I saw it on the Totalbiscuit video and thought it would be a nice fit to play at work.
I've never really been into TCGs so I can't say if it's better or worse than others, but what I can tell you is that the business model so far seems fair.
Besides cosmetics the only thing you can buy with real money is a selection of 6 random cards, which you can only buy once each, those change weekly and then there's the premade decks from the 3 factions. Since the premade decks allways have the same cards and those other six cards change weekly, you'd have to spend a lot of time and be really lucky to be able to buy yourself into competitiviness.

As I've found, the ONLY way to be competitive and find the cards you want/need is to join the trading chat rooms and find someone who has what you need and exchange it either for other cards or ingame earned gold.

4. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 12:25 Numinar

I don't know, for these smaller teams with complicated games QA is so expensive they will never be able to do it properly. Even Notch's millions would be poorly spent going into something that is not a sure thing. Paid QA, though important, is not the same as info from unpaid fans. Better in many ways, but never as brutally critical.

Why not trade good will/obsessive gaming culture for some feedback. Everyone gets what they want... you ever see a preview for a game and REALLY, REALLY want to play it RIGHT NOW?

The two I have had experience in, Airlandbattle, CoH2 and ARMA3 are much better for the pre-release program that's for sure, or we would be getting something worse at release. (Anyone who played Vanilla CoH or OFP/ARMA1/2 at release will know where I am coming from here)

There are also risks that a shit game will have itself revealed with no chance at retail so it's pretty ballsy if you ask me.

Knowingly paying for pre-release access is much better than getting a Beta masquerading as a full game in a box at release.

3. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 12:25 MisterBenn

I've watched a couple of the TotalBiscuit videos of gameplay. It could be interesting, combining the collectible cards and deckbuilding of MTG with a hex based, "attacking down lanes" system with a resemblance to M&M Clash of Heroes. The presentation is stylised and quite clear without being gorgeous, potentially there is quite a lot of depth in the gameplay although the action did strike me as a little on the slow side. You'll have to get engrossed and spend time grinding free cards or purchasing microtransactions if you are hoping to be competitve I imagine, like a lot of collectible games.

I agree the game is basically released now, it seems as though the release has been quite smooth though and if it's making money already it's another victory for keeping development costs under control. As for the game, I can imagine people liking it but I will probably stay with DOTP for the moment unless I hear that this game is gaining serious traction.

Playing: Path of Exile, Trials Evolution, Magic 2014.

2. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 12:01 Ludomancer

Yeah, it's a clever trick developers have played on the consumer world, making people pay for incomplete products. Oh well...
Is the game any good?

1. Re: Scrolls in the Black After One Week Jun 21, 2013, 11:55 Ozmodan

If they are selling anything it is NOT in open beta it is in release!

When are you pundits going to face reality to that fact?

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo