Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

30. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 22, 2013, 12:05 Redmask

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 15:42:
Creepy story: I convinced a girl to do Kinect Adventures naked with me, knowing she didn't realize it shows you a few screenshots at the end.

It was pretty entertaining, but no one can look good naked doing that river rafting.

Please keep your sexual escapades involving video game peripherals to yourself.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 21:43 Cutter

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 19:23:
PHJF wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 17:51:
You and your mother are into some pretty weird shit, man.

My mom would be very happy to know someone referred to her as a "girl!"

Gosh, Beamer I didn't realize you were from the south. Zing!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 19:23 Beamer

My mom would be very happy to know someone referred to her as a "girl!"

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 18:10 Creston

I lol'ed.

Creston

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 17:58 Julio

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 15:38:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 14:06:
Can you imagine ever needing a kinect for anything?

Well, I like to bang my gf on the couch so watching us on the big screen could be hamdy. And of course it'd be a thrill for all the geeks at the NSA looking in. Hi-o!

Actually the guys at Microsoft will be watching intently first, then maybe you'll get an offer from Vivid if you do well enough. Brings an all new set of Xbox achievements.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 17:51 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

24. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:42 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 15:38:

Well, I like to bang my gf on the couch so watching us on the big screen could be hamdy. And of course it'd be a thrill for all the geeks at the NSA looking in. Hi-o!

Creepy story: I convinced a girl to do Kinect Adventures naked with me, knowing she didn't realize it shows you a few screenshots at the end.

It was pretty entertaining, but no one can look good naked doing that river rafting.

-------------

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:38 Cutter

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:13 NKD

jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:49:
Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:44:
The PS4 isn't backwards compatible.

Creston

One of the benefits of going with a standard PC architecture is that when you do the PS 5 (or XBone 2) in 6-7 years, you can just use the latest/greatest AMD chips and it will be backward compatible.

It's sad that when the last xbox 360 or PS3 dies, all that software will also die. I love being able to play System Shock 2 or Total Annihilation or Master of Magic or Alpha Centauri still, all of which I've played within the last few years.

They could even go with an Intel or Nvidia setup if that was the best move 6 years from now. Going with an x86 console with standard video hardware is an extremely smart move and really gives them no excuse to ditch backwards compatibility in the future.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:02 Creston

No. The actual only thing about the one-eighty that even remotely interested me was that it comes with Skype integration. I skype with my parents every week, and do so on a fairly small laptop screen with a fairly shitty camera. The idea of being able to do so on my plasma with a 1080p camera is enticing.

Enticing to the tune of ~ $50, though. Not five fucking hundred.

Creston

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 15:01 Creston

Beamer wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:51:
PS has the advantage of Japan, too. Japan didn't take to the 360. It won't take to the One.

Microsoft isn't even selling the Xbone-eighty in Japan, are they? They're just releasing it in 21 countries in total. Apparently this is more "logic" from the brilliant minds that brought you "Here are 10.000 restrictions. FUCKING SUCK IT AND EAT THEM!"

Creston

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 14:38 DangerDog

Microsoft is screwing up on all fronts when it comes to consumer devices, the tablet, phone and now console devices they're putting out are doomed to being second and third tier options.

The kind of things that if you see a friend using you feel sorry for them being so stupid for buying it, most likely without asking your opinion before doing so.

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 14:06 jdreyer

Right, the PS3 had better hardware than the XBox, even unique hardware like blu-ray disc player that the XBox 360 didn't have. But most people didn't care about that. The price put them off, so they went with the cheaper, if less technically impressive, 360.

I think the roles are switched now, except that the kinect 2 is even more superfluous than a BRD player was 7 years ago. At least with BRD you could imagine in the future buying BRDs and wanting to play them. Can you imagine ever needing a kinect for anything?

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 13:51 Beamer

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:04:
MattyC wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:47:
I was thinking more about overall. I think the PS3 eventually outsold the 360, didn't it? If they keep it much more expensive for a long time I am sure it will kill it.

And yeah they had a few good Sony roasts.

It wasn't until Sony dropped the price a few times that it really began to take off. Yeah, it has by now outsold the 360 (and if you consider that many 360 users are simply people who bought a new one to replace their previous one which had yet again died, the numbers look more favorable for Sony yet.)

But at the start, its price point was killing it. People weren't buying a $600 game console. Not when two cheaper ones were available.

Creston

PS has the advantage of Japan, too. Japan didn't take to the 360. It won't take to the One. People in Japan that want hardcore games had one option.

The One doesn't have that advantage, as people in the US aren't nearly as MS inclined as people in Japan are Sony inclined. They'll turn on Microsoft in a dime for a better marketed product.

No one is really doing it here, but elsewhere people point out the PS rising in sales over the years as a sign that the price point can be overcome. Yeah, no doubt a price point can be overcome, but Microsoft will have a more difficult time than Sony did.

-------------

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 13:49 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 13:44:

Creston

One of the benefits of going with a standard PC architecture is that when you do the PS 5 (or XBone 2) in 6-7 years, you can just use the latest/greatest AMD chips and it will be backward compatible.

It's sad that when the last xbox 360 or PS3 dies, all that software will also die. I love being able to play System Shock 2 or Total Annihilation or Master of Magic or Alpha Centauri still, all of which I've played within the last few years.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 13:44 Creston

Creston

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 13:40 Fion

I can see how Analysts think the PS4 is going to win, at least initially. Anyone that does any amount of research quickly discovers that the PS4 is more powerful, $100 less, backwards compatible and isn't trying to be a home entertainment center in one.  

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 13:04 Creston

MattyC wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:47:
I was thinking more about overall. I think the PS3 eventually outsold the 360, didn't it? If they keep it much more expensive for a long time I am sure it will kill it.

It wasn't until Sony dropped the price a few times that it really began to take off. Yeah, it has by now outsold the 360 (and if you consider that many 360 users are simply people who bought a new one to replace their previous one which had yet again died, the numbers look more favorable for Sony yet.)

But at the start, its price point was killing it. People weren't buying a $600 game console. Not when two cheaper ones were available.

Creston

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 12:47 MattyC

Creston wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:23:
MattyC wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:06:
InBlack wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 10:47:
You can marketspeak all you want but the price difference is where its at. 100$ is nothing to scoff at. People are getting a better console for less money. Thats it.

I really don't know that the launch price matters all that much. Wasn't the PS3 like $600 at launch? I do agree that I think it is a mistake to sell it for that much, but I just don't see it as a fatal price point.

The PS3 also sold like shit when it came out. The true die-hards bought them, of course, but there were PS3s available everywhere. It led to Smedley saying something retarded like "I'll pay $1500 for every PS3 console that's on the shelf!" after which PA went past a few stores and made pictures of dozens of PS3s on shelves everywhere.

The PS3 was about the only console ever that didn't sell out immediately on launch.

Price is definitely, definitely important. Especially if you have a direct competitor who is markedly cheaper.

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Jun 21, 2013, 12:23 Creston

MattyC wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 12:06:
InBlack wrote on Jun 21, 2013, 10:47:
You can marketspeak all you want but the price difference is where its at. 100$ is nothing to scoff at. People are getting a better console for less money. Thats it.

I really don't know that the launch price matters all that much. Wasn't the PS3 like $600 at launch? I do agree that I think it is a mistake to sell it for that much, but I just don't see it as a fatal price point.

The PS3 also sold like shit when it came out. The true die-hards bought them, of course, but there were PS3s available everywhere. It led to Smedley saying something retarded like "I'll pay $1500 for every PS3 console that's on the shelf!" after which PA went past a few stores and made pictures of dozens of PS3s on shelves everywhere.

The PS3 was about the only console ever that didn't sell out immediately on launch.

Price is definitely, definitely important. Especially if you have a direct competitor who is markedly cheaper.

Creston

30 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo