Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle

The Baldur's Gate Website has news from Beamdog and Overhaul Games president Trent Oster that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition and its upcoming follow-up are caught up in some unexplained legal limbo (thanks N). Word is that while those who already own the RPG sequel are still able to download and play it, "complex legal matters" they are unable to discuss (though they do mention "issues with our publishing partner") prevent its further sale, the release of future patches, or the release of the Android edition or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition II. There's FAQ with more details accompanying this letter:

Dear Friends of Baldur's Gate,

We recently removed Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition from sale on Beamdog and the Apple App Store. We've taken this step at our publishing partner's request as we attempt to resolve a number of contractual issues.

Unfortunately, until this matter is resolved, we are unable to release the latest Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition patch or Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for Android.

This also prevents the launch of Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition. I sincerely apologize to the series' fans and promise we are working diligently to remedy the situation.

Regards, Trent Oster President, Beamdog & Overhaul Games

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 19:46 Klaus Flouride

Dev wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 19:05:
Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:25:
Shite! I didn't know this enhanced edition was for the iPad? Now that.. I would've wanted.
They released for ipad and PC, and I think they were planning for android as well. More than likely this will get fixed and they will continue selling it.

My iPad is gonna be broke from swiping when I can play this.

When all else fails empty the magazine...
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 19:05 Dev

Quinn wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:25:
Shite! I didn't know this enhanced edition was for the iPad? Now that.. I would've wanted.
They released for ipad and PC, and I think they were planning for android as well. More than likely this will get fixed and they will continue selling it.

22. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 18:27 Julio

Well I guess it's piracy if you are selling games without the right to. Lock'em up, throw away the key  

21. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 17:48 JediPunisher

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2013, 17:53.

20. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 17:35 Soulburner

I'm playing the Enhanced Edition right now and I love it. Never played BG before, so I don't really know if this edition is good or bad when compared with the original, but at least it runs in widescreen without patching stuff. And I can zoom in/out the view with the scroll wheel.

The upcoming update is (or was... I hope it still is) also very interesting. A modified user interface, different method of scaling (finally making the whole UI sharp - right now it's a bit blurry due to how the interface is scaled), lots of bugfixes... and an Android version.

I really hope this legal weirdness gets resolved soon and the current developers get to keep working on it.

19. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 15:32 Cram

One feature missing in this version that upset me was that altering the FPS wasn't an option, or that it just didn't work properly. In all the original infinity engine games, you could go into the BG Config (or whatever) and up the FPS from its default of 30. This had an effect of increasing the entire games speed. I would usually have it between 45-50. Since I'm so used to that faster pace, this version felt so painfully slow.  

18. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 14:16 Fibrocyte

I have to be honest, this edition is not enhanced. It is an awful port to the ipad and I requested a refund after playing it for 20 minutes.

Now Star Wars KOTOR is an excellent port - I just started it (never fully played through the original).

17. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 13:25 Quinn

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.

16. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 13:22 Flatline

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 12:35:
Please, WOTC just go away. Sell the IP to someone who cares beyond whatever sheckels they can wring out of it.

Wizards and Mearls has to run D&D completely into the ground first with D&D:Next, aka 5th edition. Which looks like a travesty waiting to happen.

15. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 12:46 avianflu

with the lukewarm reviews og BG1, I am beginning to wonder if they will release BG2, regardless of current publisher issues.  

14. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 12:35 Cutter

Please, WOTC just go away. Sell the IP to someone who cares beyond whatever sheckels they can wring out of it.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

13. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 12:25 jacobvandy

Atari is listed as the publisher on Steam, so I wonder if it's an issue with them self-publishing elsewhere, i.e. on their own store platform and mobile stores.  

12. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 12:25 NewMaxx

Rattlehead wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 10:23:
Publisher's are the scum of the earth.

Publishers are, in business terms, halfway between a lawyer (legal agent) and public relations (manage communication). This tends to mean that they end up controlling both the legal reins as well as the public image, effectively the analogue to a union leader. It's supposed to be a two-way street but in practice ends up more like a marriage for most of history, where men held the most power, and for the same reasons: legal rights and the "face." The fact that such things and similar (e.g., how entertainment companies treat writers) are in fields that are supposed to be progressive shows you what happens when there's poor oversight.

11. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:50 Creston

Okay, I don't know who is responsible for that, but to said company: Fuck you.

Creston

10. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:26 RollinThundr

El Pit wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 10:16:
nin, if this was the Atari of VCS times, I'd even support them. But that Atari died a long, looong time ago. Which reminds me of how old I am. *sigh*

Anyways, everybody should buy BG 1/2 from GOG and try out the excellent mods. It's still a brilliant game, and with the mods come widescreen support and lots of other goodies.

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 10:02:
El Pit wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 09:57:
Who's behind this? Interplay? Do the need money for Freespace 3? Bwahahaha.

I believe Atari holds the reins. And I think they have their own money problems?

I don't know why people still insist on calling Infograms Atari, they've done a great job of raping the legacy attached to the name.

9. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:23 Rattlehead

Publisher's are the scum of the earth.  

8. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:16 El Pit

nin, if this was the Atari of VCS times, I'd even support them. But that Atari died a long, looong time ago. Which reminds me of how old I am. *sigh*

Anyways, everybody should buy BG 1/2 from GOG and try out the excellent mods. It's still a brilliant game, and with the mods come widescreen support and lots of other goodies.

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 10:02:

I believe Atari holds the reins. And I think they have their own money problems?

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

7. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:08 EricFate

I'm amazed it lasted this long.  

6. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:07 Axis

I miss TSR. DnD game and games both computer and PnP went to shit hardcore once WOTC and Atari got involved.  

Yours truly,

Axis

5. Re: Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition Legal Tangle Jun 20, 2013, 10:02 nin

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo