Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I'm one of those who has been using Google Reader for a long time now, but apparently there aren't enough of us, as the big G is deep-sixing the RSS reader at the end of this month. I haven't been successful in finding a replacement, so I thought I'd ask here if anyone had any recommendations for a good RSS reader. I realize this is very 2000s of me, but some of us are stuck in their ways. Thanks for any help with this.

Stuck Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Accurate Boy.
Hired Heroes Offense.
Stories: Canadian driver says he was speeding so he could dry car. Thanks devicer.
Science: Cancer immunity of strange underground rat revealed.
Images: The Kite-Borne Camera That Captured Post-Quake San Francisco in 1906.
Media: Billy Crystal Meets his Monster.
Self Control Room.
Follow-Up: Italy hospital: Gandolfini died of cardiac arrest.
'Star Wars' Cast Breakdown Unveiled. Thanks nin.
Shailene Woodley's Mary Jane Role Cut From 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2';. Thanks nin.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Feed Readers Jun 21, 2013, 15:51 unaloony

I set up a drupal page with blocks pulling feeds from a bunch of different sources and then realized I could do the same thing with a my.yahoo page .. apparently you can add any feed you want to yahoo pages and create reasonable well organized customized news aggregator.

I prefer website news aggregators over feed reader applications because you don't need to install apps or configure a reader for each machine you are using.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Breaking News Jun 21, 2013, 05:33 jdreyer

@gameguyz

PISS OFF.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

25. removed Jun 21, 2013, 04:48 gameguyz

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Jun 21, 2013, 06:25.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2013, 04:32 InBlack

jdreyer wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 17:09:
nin wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 16:41:
Different planet, I believe, Hoop.

Same planet, no? Spoilers: When the Engineer's ship crashes, it lands in the same position as seen in the opening of Alien when it's discovered by the crew of the Nostromo.

Update: Hmm, actually, this blog post argues the opposite from me and supports Nin's assertion.

Which only confirms the clusterfuck of the script, because I believe they intended it to be the same planet but for various reasons they had to change it. Prometheus is really the one movie that Ridley should have gotten right, holy fuck shit the guy created Alien and Bladerunner FFS....Its all been downhill from him since Gladiator.

I have a nifty blue line!

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 19:36 Golwar

Bodolza wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 12:59:
I switched to Feedly for a bit, but I was annoyed that you had to install a plug-in to access it. I also wasn't thrilled with the interface - too many windows sliding over other windows. I've switched over to "The Old Reader" now, which I prefer so far.

You don't need those browser addons anymore, they released a "cloud" version of Feedly just recently.

http://blog.feedly.com/2013/06/19/feedly-cloud/
http://cloud.feedly.com/

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 17:30 Hoop

Ok that makes more sense.
As I say, really enjoyed it.
9.30 am here Friday and a Snow day! woooo

Interesting seeing the kite photo of the San Francisco post 1906 quake.
Heres a link to what our CBD looks like with still more to come down.
http://www.nbr.co.nz/article/christchurch-above-rebuild-photo-essay-ch-132300

This comment was edited on Jun 20, 2013, 17:40.

Um .. Behind you...

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 17:09 jdreyer

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 16:41:

Same planet, no? Spoilers: When the Engineer's ship crashes, it lands in the same position as seen in the opening of Alien when it's discovered by the crew of the Nostromo.

Update: Hmm, actually, this blog post argues the opposite from me and supports Nin's assertion.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 16:41 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 16:40 Hoop

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 15:40:
The frustrating part about Prometheus is that all of the other pieces were there to make a sci-fi masterpiece and by all rights it should have been. Decent enough actors, great set design, awesome CGI, great directing overall but the script was complete dogshit and brought down the rest of the movie.
I just watch Prometheus for the first time last night, had heard your same complaint from many others but ended up loving it, kinda filled in all the blanks for me.
Only issue i had was right at the end, Spoilers should'nt the engineer driver of the ship they brought down have died sitting in his seat for the next lot to find? He ended up going after the girl in the escape pod. ?

Um .. Behind you...

18. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 15:49 jdreyer

From this article:

Feedly, which is pretty popular, doesn’t have a business model, and it pushes the Magazine view way too hard (especially in the app) for my taste. Newsblur’s Android client, and really the whole Newsblur experience, struck me as pretty clunky.

I have been using the Press Android client, and I like it, so I started using one of the services they support, Feedbin.
lmost everyone’s monitor is based on a cheap, wide HDTV screen from China, and Feedbin uses it intelligently.

They have a screenshot of Feedbin up.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 15:40 Verno

The frustrating part about Prometheus is that all of the other pieces were there to make a sci-fi masterpiece and by all rights it should have been. Decent enough actors, great set design, awesome CGI, great directing overall but the script was complete dogshit and brought down the rest of the movie.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 14:53 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 09:53:
Saw Man of Steel yesterday. Liked it more than the Avengers or the last Batman flick. Hell, I liked it better than the last Star Trek, although the movie has a lot of flaws. It seems to cater to the lowest common denominator a lot and I mean A LOT in quite a few scenes. Quite a lot of scenes are superflous and should have been cut from the film.

The best part of the film is the origin story, not in the least because it finally explains who and what the Kryptonians were and how Superman fits in with what happened.

Henry Cavill is charismatic and engaging as Superman although his Clark Kent persona is rather well, undeveloped. This is a fault with the story really, not the actors.

Zod really steals the show, best one dimensional character I have ever seen. Trust me the sentence makes sense in the context of the movie.

Reeves is still No. 1 IMO but the new movie is well worth the ticket admission price.

Hey Thanks InBlack. I was really looking forward to it, until the reviews started coming in. Now I'll go check it out. I liked Oblivion better than either Iron Man 3 or Star Trek 2, so maybe this is the year where my tastes are the opposite of the critical consensus. Just trying to avoid another Prometheus. The disappointment of that movie still lingers like a wound that has scarred over but still twinges.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 14:43 nin

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:14:
Those aerial shots are pretty amazing for the time.

Yeah, for 1906, they're wild...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 13:42 Verno

Bodolza wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 12:59:
I switched to Feedly for a bit, but I was annoyed that you had to install a plug-in to access it. I also wasn't thrilled with the interface - too many windows sliding over other windows. I've switched over to "The Old Reader" now, which I prefer so far.

A few people at SA swear by this one too, I'll have to give it a shot.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 13:21 xmb1121

Freely was the best of the ones I tried, but it failed because it stopped working last month and now only ever says it's synchronizing.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 13:19 shul

Try Zite, it's not an RSS reader, its better.  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 13:14 Cutter

Those aerial shots are pretty amazing for the time.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 12:59 Bodolza

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 11:44 Alamar

But Quake didn't come out till 96...

-Alamar

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 20, 2013, 11:38 HockeyPhool

I'll echo previous comments regarding Feedly. I started using in the day Google announced the impending death of Reader and I haven't looked back. It provides an Android app that keeps me synced with the web desktop. The learning curve is fairly shallow, too.  

-----
HockeyPhool

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo