Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks

Your Feedback Matters Update on Xbox One has word that Microsoft is pulling a 180 on the online requirement/DRM aspect of their upcoming Xbox One console system that alienated the core gaming community (thanks Giant Bomb and whathifi via Kotaku and nin). Give them credit for spin, as they focus on the love in the feedback they got on this, saying: "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world." Here's word, where they also announce they no longer plan on having games region locked:

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

View
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

68. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:26 Cyanotetyphas

Medwynd wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:14:
I don't rent games, I don't loan my games out, I don't buy used games, I don't trade in my games, and these seem to be the things people disliked about the drm system the most.

This is perfectly reasonable (okay maybe not the 4 decades of hating a company) but as we've seen with DRM on the PC, these sorts of things usually end up hurting people that they were never intended to affect. SecuROM, etc. and always online schemes greatly diminished the PC as a platform and ALWAYS affect legitimate users who have good connections and paid. See PC Microsoft LIVE, UPlay on AC2, and Diablo3 for recent examples.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

67. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:25 Tomas

I know we're Bluesnews readers, so being pissed off about everything is kind of our MO, but I thought a few more people would actually react positively about the change.

For me, it's taken the XboxOne from a not a snowball's chance in hell of purchasing to a probably will when I see a good deal for it down the road. I enjoyed my 360 more than my ps3, though they both had their strengths.

Some ideas for MS to win back some of the pissed off customers:

Continue to allow the 10 friends thing for digital game purchases. Since you can't trade them anyhow, allow your friends to use your games as you'd planned. That way you can also test out your digital theories, but it's better than what Steam does, and it could gain you some favor. Sure, you'd probably have to require a login check to verify your buddy could use the game when they first want to use it...but since it's digital you'd have to be online anyhow to download it. Don't require a check after it's on their system for offline play.

- Make the Kinect disableable (I swear that's a word in some dictionary). There's no reason not to. How hard could it really be...

- Drop your price 50 bucks and or upgrade something in the hardware. If you want to include a kinect in every system, something nobody asked for, then you should eat the cost on it to prove the tech is worth it. An ugrade to the hardware could be something small, but a token increase would probably go a long way. The hardware change may be impossible at this point - I'm not sure how far they are in fabricating the boxes, but I'm guessing they are probably deep into the process of things. Even if you eat a bit more on the console, you'll make up for it with your attachment rates. You know you will. The consoles themselves have never been the money makers.

- Stop being anti-consumer douche bags. It's really not that hard. Seriously.

66. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:24 Tanto Edge

Man alive, too funny.
From here forth, the next generation of the 360 is the 180.
XB180 ever more.
That is just priceless.

Steam and PS4 still kick ass over and beyond anything MS is promising though. Back ass ward dumb fucks that they are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=705LEH3j2g0&t=0m24s
http://www.youtube.com/user/tantoedge

65. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:24 HorrorScope

Watched a good interview with the dude that does a lot of harsh game reviews (Angry Joe), we've all seen him, can't think of name and with Major Nelson (aka stupid PR stunt guy). Interviewer gave him some tough questions, basically, in great detail tell me about these things you are putting in place. At one point he said "Why can't you change the 24 hour thingy, it would be easy". Nelson grabbed the mic from him and said "how do you know if it is easy or not, you aren't a tech". Well this news shows it must be easy enough and why would you program something like that to be hard to change, it's a timeout of sort, change value to variable... next. Easy. Only an idiot would program for that change to be hard, you'd have to go out of your way. So +1 to interviewer and -1 to person lodged up MS's ass.

This move cannot be done unless the entire industry is behind it. You can't have one console that does and another that doesn't. We all knew this years ago, and some PR/Marketing guy at MS makes bank not knowing it.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 19:38.

64. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:20 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 16:58:
Sorry Fuckbox, too little too late.

Not for me, since it hasn't been released it is not too late. The people spoke, they got the message, fair enough on my end. That said, I'm in no hurray for a console.

63. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:19 Cyanotetyphas

re: Beamer Demon Souls had save locked to console but the game could be played on any ps3, you just couldn't take the save with it

Well internet it looks like our collective fury actually produced something useful for once. Just like the NSA, Microsoft was poking and prodding to see how far they could take things and now they know. I remain convinced that if they hadn't screwed up the PR so bad all of these things could have been implemented with only a slight murmur.

So right now we have pretty much the same consoles again, probably more similar than this generation. The price difference is big but Microsoft still has one trick up its sleeve- $100 off with 2 years of Live contract. Have to pay to play multi on both anyway right? That makes them pretty much the same price.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

62. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:18 DangerDog

entr0py wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:08:
I was waiting for this news. The very day after the console was announced Microsoft started backtracking. Apparently no longer immune to universal disdain.

Microsoft dismisses Xbox One online requirements and used-game fees as 'potential scenarios'

Now all they have to do is offer a Kinect-free version for $100 less and it would be a decent option.

It's still slightly underpowered compared to the PS4 hardware and costs $10 more for online multiplayer support.

Microsoft done goofed it up.

61. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:15 DangerDog

In other news EA reinstates its "online pass" implementation for used game sales.  

60. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:14 Medwynd

I guess I'm one of the few that didn't really care about most of this stuff and doesn't really understand the hate being slung out there.

I don't rent games, I don't loan my games out, I don't buy used games, I don't trade in my games, and these seem to be the things people disliked about the drm system the most.

I am also not a fan of drm, I only buy physical copies of games if I can, yes I realize those have drm as well, and try to avoid digital downloads. My XBox sits on the shelf always connected to the internet anyway, so it wouldn't have changed the way I use the console.

I pretty much use MS for everything, for development, for entertainment, for my phones, for my pc, not because I am a fanboy as people will probably say, but because their hardware and software does everything I need it to do. I'm not claiming they are perfect for every situation, but they do just about everything I need them to do. If they didn't I would use something else, simple as that.

I hope they will have a setting in the options to disable the Kinect as I don't really have a need for it.

I have never purchased Sony hardware in almost 40 years now because I don't like it. I have used a lot of their hardware before and it just feels cheap. Speaking to the PS specifically, the controllers are simply too small for my large hands. I also much prefer XBox Live to the PS implementation of it.

I would have liked backwards compatibility but I had no delusions and expected that it probably wasn't going to happen. The one thing I really wanted the new XBox to do was play pretty much any file format under the sun to play my movies from my home server, be it MKV containers, VOBS, what have you.

That said I will still keep my preorder for my XBox One.

EDIT: I forgot to add that I hate the idea of games using cloud computing, but both Sony and MS will be doing that. The idea that as soon as one of these companies goes out of business and the servers get shut down that I am stuck with a coaster does actually piss me off.

59. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:12 Golwar

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:04:
I now christen thee "XBOne180"...

And when Microsoft reestablishes their DRM plans 1-2 years in the future, we'll be back to the XBone360.

Smart Microsoft, they actually plan farther ahead than I dared to assume.

58. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:11 Cutter

LArac wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:04:
They will not remove the has to check in "Feature" it will just be set to nil for now, they will leave the ability to make it call home.

They will then in a year or so have it so you can make it auto update, and this will be the start of call home.

3 Years we will see.

Lee

Funny, I just said the same thing right after you. I've seen a lot of other people saying the same on other sites. Sony could engage in those shenanigans too. I think its best to just stay away from this gens consoles entirely. And looking at the gameslist for the PS4 I don't see remotely enough to warrant me buying a PS4 anyway.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

57. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:08 entr0py

I was waiting for this news. The very day after the console was announced Microsoft started backtracking. Apparently no longer immune to universal disdain.

Microsoft dismisses Xbox One online requirements and used-game fees as 'potential scenarios'

Now all they have to do is offer a Kinect-free version for $100 less and it would be a decent option.

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 19:15.

56. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:07 Cutter

Chalk up a win for the consumer. However, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see them go back to this in 2 or 3 years. Their TOS says they can always do that whenever they feel like it. Sony too, which is why I don't really trust either of them. Still, Sony should win this final round of console wars pretty handily.

And to Don Mattrick and the rest of those arrogant pricks at MS, Sergeant Rex 'Power' Colt said it best..."Eat monkeyshit you cyber cockfucker!"

This comment was edited on Jun 19, 2013, 19:12.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

55. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:05 PropheT

nin wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:04:
I now christen thee "XBOne180"...

Xbox 180

NBCnews is borrowing your idea

54. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:04 LArac

They will not remove the has to check in "Feature" it will just be set to nil for now, they will leave the ability to make it call home.

They will then in a year or so have it so you can make it auto update, and this will be the start of call home.

3 Years we will see.

Lee

53. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 19:01 PropheT

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:01:
As much as I'd love to say that it was gamers bitching that caused this, it really wasn't. It was places like Gamestop and Best Buy simply refusing to take Xbone preorders anymore, and actively steering people towards a PS4 (if reports are to be believed) that would have caused it. Microsoft doesn't give a flying fuck about its customers, only about publishers and retail channels.

Creston

I haven't heard of that happening anywhere, and I'm sure a company taking that stance would have been quick to hit the news.

I'd be more inclined to believe that pre-sale numbers at places like the ones you mentioned are what drove the decision instead. At least they made the decision, and made it now, rather than after release once it was too late. It's still $100 more and has Kinect strapped to it, but without the DRM restrictions that's a step in the right direction.

52. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:57 Phasenoise

It's cute to watch MS learn about how a free market works.  

51. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:51 Darks

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:01:
wtf_man wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:45:
Well... it's a beginning, and I'm glad they had some sense knocked into them by the gaming community.

As much as I'd love to say that it was gamers bitching that caused this, it really wasn't. It was places like Gamestop and Best Buy simply refusing to take Xbone preorders anymore, and actively steering people towards a PS4 (if reports are to be believed) that would have caused it. Microsoft doesn't give a flying fuck about its customers, only about publishers and retail channels.

Creston

I think your statement is a little bit extreme dude. they do care. they just don't show it half the time. Realistically, without the customer they are nothing so they damn well better care.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

50. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:50 nin

jdreyer wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 18:44:
Between this and the Orth thing, it's obvious that the Microsofties live in their own little bubble with little clue how the rest of the gaming world operates. It's mind boggling.

I read something years ago (might have been Wired) where it described, based on comments from employees, they they felt like people outside the company didn't understand them, and were against them.

THAT'S how far their heads are up their asses. It's the constant insistence (in windows, and their consoles) that they know what's best for the customer, when in reality it's obvious they have no clue.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

49. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 18:44 jdreyer

Between this and the Orth thing, it's obvious that the Microsofties live in their own little bubble with little clue how the rest of the gaming world operates. It's mind boggling.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo