Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks

Your Feedback Matters – Update on Xbox One has word that Microsoft is pulling a 180 on the online requirement/DRM aspect of their upcoming Xbox One console system that alienated the core gaming community (thanks Giant Bomb and whathifi via Kotaku and nin). Give them credit for spin, as they focus on the love in the feedback they got on this, saying: "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world." Here's word, where they also announce they no longer plan on having games region locked:

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

View
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

108. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 03:50 Prez

There couldn't be a better textbook example for why competition is a good thing, no ... a GREAT thing for consumers. If Sony didn't exist, would Microsoft be backtracking like this? Probably not. More likely we'd be reading more arrogance about Microsoft knowing what's best for you and becoming even more anti-consumer. This is why we PC gamers need AMD to stay around. Intel needs to be kept honest the way Sony is causing Microsoft to behave.

As far as what this means for the console war, I leave that to people who know more about the console industry. All I know is that I haven't wanted to see a company get trounced as badly as I want Microsoft to get clobbered by Sony in a long time.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

107. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 03:42 InBlack

Great news for the five people who pre-ordered the Xbone?

Seriously though, they waited a whole month before reversing this retarded decision? Im thinking the damage is done. Also Microsoft is betting that an unproven system Kinect, will sell their 100$ more expensive platform. It wont. Too little too late, the PS4 wins this by a mile.

I have a nifty blue line!

106. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 03:23 Lord Tea

Totally enjoying this thread, being an avid PC gamer...

Keep the shitstorms (and discussions about them) coming!

UPSA = United Police States of America

105. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 02:30 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 23:39:

So yeah, the dude got pretty pissed. Kinda like the President (not just Obama, ANY President) does when he gets a non-vetted question.

Creston

Obama actually handles hecklers and non-vetted or hostile questions pretty well. His wife, not so much.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

104. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 01:57 jdreyer

HorrorScope wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:18:

Major Nelson got pwned from an internet idiot like the rest of this, because THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

I need a t-shirt that says:

It's not rocket surgery.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

103. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 01:00 Acleacius

Damn I've never seen m$ so desperate, it's like being forced to watch the Titanic sink.

What a perfect time to throw in another 5 billion to make console exclusives, AGAIN. I'm sure it would go over remarkably well. Backstab

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

102. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 00:41 Cutter

Tomas wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:27:
I'm going to start sounding like an MS apologist, which I swear I'm not, I'm still not sure I'm going to get a 360 over the ps4 (granted last gen I bought all the consoles...), but to be fair I'm betting Major Nelson didn't know either. He was just pointing out that Joe wasn't privy to that information so it wasn't fair to say that it will be an easy thing like toggling a switch. It probably is...but MS has already stated there will be a day 1 patch to fix the DRM. So that means at least something wasn't as toggling some bit in the database.

Why would you choose a 360 over a PS4? That's insane. And yes, everyone knew it was bullshit. Something like that isn't carved in stone. And MS had already said as much when they stated at the end of the console life people wouldn't have to worry about losing their library because they'd disable the ODRM. That's what set everything off. They already copped to it, so everyone then started saying, 'Then why the hell do we have to put up with it in the first place?' And seeing as most people around here are pretty tech savy and old school to begin with we've seen this puppet show 1000 times before and we know it's not hard to do from a coding standpoint. And yes Larry knew it, he was just being a dick about it because how dare anyone question the will and might of Steve Ballmer and his cyber cockfucker patrol.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

101. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 23:44 Redmask

Rhialto wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:00:
So they brang the XB1 equal to the PS4? I thought they would even try to surpass it and take the lead instad of simply following behind, which may result in staying in that position too regarding sales figure!

It's still more expensive, roughly 20-30% less powerful than the PS4 and has the dumb camera required to be connected. They still have work to do here.

100. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 23:39 Creston

Tomas wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:24:
If that's the Angry Joe interview, he does, a bit, but I imagine he's hating life after listening to the same complaints for days straight. Sure, not our problem, but it's his job to push the company line whether he loves it or not. It's easy to take the moral high road until your job is on the line. Just sayin'. But yeah...there were a few parts you could see him clearly frustrated at Joe because he knew he was having to say stuff that is clearly ridiculous. At least that's how I interpreted it.

According to Joe, he kept pushing the MS people to get an interview, and they finally agreed to let him interview Nelson in between two other interviews. And then, after the interview was done, they were pretty pissed at him for not being the generic industry wash-ass pushover that they were expecting, but instead going with the questions everyone WANTED to have asked, namely "Why the fuck is this horseshit 24 hour check in your system, because it's BULLSHIT."

So yeah, the dude got pretty pissed. Kinda like the President (not just Obama, ANY President) does when he gets a non-vetted question.

Creston

99. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 23:36 Fantaz

Tomas wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:29:
DrEvil wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:24:
Shame they are disabling the family share stuff. They could maintain that feature even without always online mode. It would be reasonable to have to be online to play games shared to you by a friend without enforcing a retarded global always online requirement. Also even if it is restricted to digital copies of a game, to avoid any worries about the disc floating around in addition to the shared copies. Provide an incentive for users to support the game through a digital purchase with digital perks, still let the people who want to play, sell, trade their hard copies. Everyone wins. The community would be singing a different tune if they went this sort of route from the start.

Exactly this. This is what I've been saying since the first news came out. Just give more options. See which way consumers really want - nobody can complain about having more choices, and if they start to like the digital route due to the perks of it, then MS and those who wanted the digital options in place win. The whole problem was the fact that instead of creating more freedom and options, they tried to take all the choice away from the consumer. I don't know how that made it through those initial meetings. Whoever was behind this whole DRM fiasco needs their head checked.

There needs to eventually be a stronger countermeasure to piracy, but I agree that DRM is not the answer. Xbox 360 being the first console to be hacked as opposed to (eventually) the PS3 was probably a strong factor in their DRM intentions for next-gen.

98. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 22:41 Simon Says

And there was much rejoicing.  

97. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 22:16 Fantaz

DangerDog wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:15:
In other news EA reinstates its "online pass" implementation for used game sales.

+1

expecting This.

96. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:46 nin

wasteoid wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 20:28:
Only days ago, Major Nelson was interviewed and appeared to argue that it was not easy to disable the 24-hour DRM check:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo#t=11m13s

Obviously, it was as easy as the interviewer claimed, just a switch to flip (asshole mode = false).

Thanks, I just slapped that on his twitter...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

95. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:29 wtf_man

Creston wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:54:
I'm honestly not sure if the two ideas can be combined. I understood their need for the 24 hour check-in, because obviously if you sell the license back to retailer A, the console needs to know that you did so, and has to disable/delete your HD copy of it.

So why can't digital versions check online (be libraried, family shared, and all that), and disk versions not? (the disk IS the check)

Even if you have it "installed to a hard drive", or both a digital and physical copy... if the game finds the disk, it should not need the Internet.

94. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:29 Tomas

DrEvil wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 21:24:
Shame they are disabling the family share stuff. They could maintain that feature even without always online mode. It would be reasonable to have to be online to play games shared to you by a friend without enforcing a retarded global always online requirement. Also even if it is restricted to digital copies of a game, to avoid any worries about the disc floating around in addition to the shared copies. Provide an incentive for users to support the game through a digital purchase with digital perks, still let the people who want to play, sell, trade their hard copies. Everyone wins. The community would be singing a different tune if they went this sort of route from the start.

Exactly this. This is what I've been saying since the first news came out. Just give more options. See which way consumers really want - nobody can complain about having more choices, and if they start to like the digital route due to the perks of it, then MS and those who wanted the digital options in place win. The whole problem was the fact that instead of creating more freedom and options, they tried to take all the choice away from the consumer. I don't know how that made it through those initial meetings. Whoever was behind this whole DRM fiasco needs their head checked.

93. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:27 Tomas

Only days ago, Major Nelson was interviewed and appeared to argue that it was not easy to disable the 24-hour DRM check:

Obviously, it was as easy as the interviewer claimed, just a switch to flip (asshole mode = false).

I'm going to start sounding like an MS apologist, which I swear I'm not, I'm still not sure I'm going to get a 360 over the ps4 (granted last gen I bought all the consoles...), but to be fair I'm betting Major Nelson didn't know either. He was just pointing out that Joe wasn't privy to that information so it wasn't fair to say that it will be an easy thing like toggling a switch. It probably is...but MS has already stated there will be a day 1 patch to fix the DRM. So that means at least something wasn't as toggling some bit in the database.

92. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:24 DrEvil

91. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:24 Tomas

If that's the Angry Joe interview, he does, a bit, but I imagine he's hating life after listening to the same complaints for days straight. Sure, not our problem, but it's his job to push the company line whether he loves it or not. It's easy to take the moral high road until your job is on the line. Just sayin'. But yeah...there were a few parts you could see him clearly frustrated at Joe because he knew he was having to say stuff that is clearly ridiculous. At least that's how I interpreted it.  

90. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:19 LittleMe

To me, Nelson comes across as pushy, angry, arrogant, defensive and confrontational in that interview.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

89. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 21:18 HorrorScope

That is why the logical statement "These people are there, they are experts", or in sports.... "they see them every day, they know more than you do".... Doesn't always hold up. In sports every meaningful play a person at home can see just as much as a GM and has a lot less skin/bias in the jist of it all.

Major Nelson got pwned from an internet idiot like the rest of this, because THIS ISN'T ROCKET SURGERY!

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo