Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks

Your Feedback Matters Update on Xbox One has word that Microsoft is pulling a 180 on the online requirement/DRM aspect of their upcoming Xbox One console system that alienated the core gaming community (thanks Giant Bomb and whathifi via Kotaku and nin). Give them credit for spin, as they focus on the love in the feedback they got on this, saying: "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world." Here's word, where they also announce they no longer plan on having games region locked:

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

View
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

28. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:52 ShadyPete

i love the fact that they tried to sell the 24hr thing as a value and we are now at this point. guess what MS im still not buying one..  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:45 wtf_man

Well... it's a beginning, and I'm glad they had some sense knocked into them by the gaming community.

For me to even consider it over (or along with) a PS4, I'd want a Kinnect-less version of the console, not have to pay to use a Netflix App (or any non-gaming app), and indie Devs would be allowed to self-publish.

26. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:45 nin

So, will EA try to go back to online passes now?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

25. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:44 Asmo

On the plus side, the large volume of people who would have bought the XBone in sheer ignorance of just how crap it was now get a slightly better deal...

Kinect watching you fap umm, in your private home is still a dealbreaker though. Unless they give it a sexy female voice. I'm sure that'll be good for a couple of sales at least... X D

24. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:43 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:33:
I read this as "oh shit, our numbers tanked and pre sales were cancelled, what the f r we going to do!?"

"Buy a 360?"

NO! WAIT! BUY A PS4!!!!

23. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:42 Golwar

Ah, dear Microsoft. You might convince some that you listen and care about your customers, but we both know you just lost all credibility.

You can't first announce that you know the one and only true future of the industry, act like a snob when you explain how people would simply not understand how great you are and then act as if nothing happened.

Besides, the PS4 is still cheaper and the better console, so ... good luck. Who knows, maybe they'll announce a price drop to $299 next week and some hardware upgrades 2 weeks later. And the promise to plant some trees.

22. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:41 Creston

Phil Spencer, dipshit from Microsoft, just a week ago:

And the amount... there's kind of two vectors there, the amplitude and the frequency. You have a lot of people that are very vocal; you have a lot of people that aren't vocal. I don't take the feedback as being representative of what everybody thinks, and that's not dismissing what the vocal people are saying. I want to hear what they're saying, even when it's somewhat inflammatory in my Twitter account. I actually do read it all. And listen to the feedback. The feedback from the gamers make us better.

I wouldn't characterize it as blowback, because I get equally positive things that it's great that Killer Instinct is coming back or that World of Tanks [is coming]. I don't think I can take one side of the ledger without the other side; it's just part of the business that we're in.

Arrogant, dismissive. That entire interview was basically "Well yeah, I get it, but still, lookit all the content! Lookit Kinect! DEALWITHIT."

One week later, Microsoft waves the white flag. (At least partially. Then again, if people got the BS online requirement and the sharing thing nullified, now everyone needs to start yelling about the Kinect horseshit. Though I assume several laws quickly being put into place by lawmakers around the world are going to do that already.)

Creston

21. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:34 Redmask

mag wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:04:
Holy damn. I don't know if I've ever seen such fast and dramatic capitulation to consumer demands from MS.

Fast? They stuck to their ridiculous guns for a full month until the early preorder numbers started coming in with the PS4 outselling it dramatically. This was all about the money. The industry was already moving slowly towards digital, all they did here was unnecessarily burn through any good will built up with the 360.

This will help them but they're still $100 more expensive with a pointless camera that most people don't want and have the weaker hardware.

I'm inclined to reward the company that didn't need a three weeks of incessant criticism to reverse an anti-consumer policy which should never have been there to start with.

20. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:33 xXBatmanXx

I read this as "oh shit, our numbers tanked and pre sales were cancelled, what the f r we going to do!?"  

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

19. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:31 Phasenoise

I believe MS is hoping the removal of wildly customer hostile policies will be interpreted as being customer friendly.  

18. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:31 Yosemite Sam

Heh, so they saw the writing on the wall and capitulated... well after kicking and screaming that the consumer didn't know what they were talking about and after failing to convince people so. Guess someone at Microsoft finally clued them into the fact that unlike Windows they don't have a monopoly in the console market so can't FORCE whatever they like onto consumers.

PSN id PR345, PST - D3, GTA5, Borderlands 2, Grid 2, GTA4, BoS, RDR, GT5, COD WaW, KZ2, RAGE, Dirt2, MC LA, Skate2, LBP, Dead Nation - Wanna jam? Hit me up on PSN, Mention Blues News.

CIV4 MOD http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=326525

17. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:28 saluk

speechless.

Maybe it was all a bad dream.

16. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:24 Omni

So... they are trying to win back people or what's going on ? They knew there would be a up roar about the DRM and always online shit and now they change and try to win back people, is this all part of some retarded PR stunt ?
But again the sad part is people will still fuel the fire and keep making this whole DRM/Always on worse with time since people are giving into hype.

15. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:23 Creston

HahahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Oh Microsoft, you pathetic fucking posers. Your ass got OWNED, huh? I've never seen backscrabbling this huge, this fast. It's just a joy to behold.

Note: I'm still not buying your fucking TVbox.

Creston

14. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:22 KTR

Don Mattrick must have received this morning's post-E3/last weeks preorder sale figures..."We done fucked up."  

13. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:20 Frags4Fun

Atomic wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:17:
No mention of a reversal of the creepy always-on Kinect stuff though. I'll pass.

^^Exactly!

12. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:18 nin

Kajetan wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:17:
They removed the DRM restrictions? Fine. But that doesnt rectify all their lying and arrogant behaviour towards their customers. These are still the same people with the same clusterfucked mindset.

And the shitty required kinect...

edit: And the indies requiring a publisher...

11. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:17 Atomic

No mention of a reversal of the creepy always-on Kinect stuff though. I'll pass.  

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."
-George Bernard Shaw

10. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:17 Kajetan

They removed the DRM restrictions? Fine. But that doesnt rectify all their lying and arrogant behaviour towards their customers. These are still the same people with the same clusterfucked mindset.  

9. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 19, 2013, 17:16 nin

NegaDeath wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 17:13:
So who got fired?

They get to have lunch with Adam Orth! Whoo!

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo