Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks

Your Feedback Matters Update on Xbox One has word that Microsoft is pulling a 180 on the online requirement/DRM aspect of their upcoming Xbox One console system that alienated the core gaming community (thanks Giant Bomb and whathifi via Kotaku and nin). Give them credit for spin, as they focus on the love in the feedback they got on this, saying: "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world." Here's word, where they also announce they no longer plan on having games region locked:

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

• An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.
  • Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

View
128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

128. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 24, 2013, 08:12 deqer

It's too late.

Microsoft would've screwed fans if Sony didn't exist. And they had the chance to remove DRM before E3, and they still didn't.

Only now (they became fucked in the polls) they suddenly decided to remove DRM.

You should not support Microsoft at all because that they "tried"

Microsoft also tricked you to think that DRM was necessary; that it was difficult to remove. Nope. It was a simple "switch" (that could be turned&#65279; off).

Microsoft thinks fans will return after all this? Wow...

I feel sorry for xbox fanois who are still loyal to Microsoft after all this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

127. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 22:45 JohnnyRotten

Tumbler wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 19:50:
The xbox one eighty. Good lord that is stuck.

Xbox one -> xbone -> xbox one eighty.

When they change their mind and flip the DRM switch a few patches down the road, they will have come full circle: The Xbox 360.

Oh, wait...

126. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 14:15 Creston

Fantaz wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 13:04:
Didn't EA pressure Microsoft to do the DRM thing? So EA is a publisher that wanted it at least...

Apparently no publisher directly asked for it, but "Microsoft heard the pleas in their voice and in their press announcements."

Feel free to giggle / snort or roll your eyes as appropriate.

Creston

125. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 13:30 1badmf

competition's a beautiful thing when it's not hindered by megacorps and their lobbying money.  

124. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 13:04 Fantaz

Didn't EA pressure Microsoft to do the DRM thing? So EA is a publisher that wanted it at least...  

123. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 11:13 Creston

nin wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 11:10:
Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 11:07:
All over the internet, I see Microsoft fans lamenting the fact that everyone else has "cost" them the ability to share their library on day one.

I wonder if you'd really been able to do so, however, since there was that (ridiculous) "30 day on the friends list" requirement.

Creston

I love it. The backtracking is like this awesomely delicious cake, and the fans disappointment is the tasty icing on top.

Never mind that MS claimed it was coming - did even one publisher (outside of MS themselves) agree to it?

No, none, and I'm pretty sure it would have been an "opt-in" for publishers. As in, you'd try to share your game on the Xbone-eighty and a message would pop up saying "You can't share this game due to publisher requirements. FUCK YOU, FILTHY PIRATE!"

But yeah, it's a lot of fun to watch Microsoft stumble about like the morons they are. Too bad the fun will end soon. It was quite enjoyable going to Blues every day, thinking "I wonder what bullshit Microsoft has conjured up today?"

It's been a non-stop stream of facepalms for several weeks. I guess all good things must come to an end.

Creston

122. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 11:11 Creston

InBlack wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 10:19:
Im by no means advocating something like that, just pointing out that very few PC gamers would even consider buying a console if the same selection of games was available to them.

The only reason I'd buy a PS4 is if games come out on it that I can't get on PC. Otherwise, yeah, why would I buy a $400 underpowered PC when I already have a much more powerful one?

But games like Red Dead Redemption and the Last of Us really are worth it (for me) to buy a console to play them.

I'm soooooooooooooooooo loving the Last of Us. I really can't recommend it enough.

Creston

121. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 11:10 nin

Creston wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 11:07:
All over the internet, I see Microsoft fans lamenting the fact that everyone else has "cost" them the ability to share their library on day one.

I wonder if you'd really been able to do so, however, since there was that (ridiculous) "30 day on the friends list" requirement.

Creston

I love it. The backtracking is like this awesomely delicious cake, and the fans disappointment is the tasty icing on top.

Never mind that MS claimed it was coming - did even one publisher (outside of MS themselves) agree to it?

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

120. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 11:07 Creston

Creston

119. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 10:19 InBlack

Im by no means advocating something like that, just pointing out that very few PC gamers would even consider buying a console if the same selection of games was available to them.  

I have a nifty blue line!

118. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 09:57 Verno

InBlack wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 09:22:
How many of those games that you play on your console (rather than on the PC) are console exclusives, or made their debut on the consoles before they were ported to the PC? If I were to wager a guess Id say that number approaches 100%.

I don't know, many I would guess but I'm not sure why the distinction matters. I like both platforms and they both have their place, sometimes the curated style of console content is preferable to the PC approach and vice versa. Some titles I just plain can't get on the PC, whether due to financial difficulties or platform exclusivity doesn't really matter as I still want to play them. If you want to be all platform warrior about it then hey go nuts but personally I don't mind having a console and a PC.

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Destiny, Fire Emblem
Watching: Continuum, Star Trek TNG, Haunt

117. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 09:49 Drazula

Now they need to backtrack on independent developers requiring a publisher...  

116. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 09:43 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 09:22:
I stand with my original statement. The 'exclusivity' of the content is an artificial advantage of the platform over the PC. And apart from ease of use Id say is the only one.

And I'm having no degree of difficulty over here with the PC, in fact it is easier to click the icon to play then find the disc an insert it and put away the other. Man vs Air.

115. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 09:22 InBlack

Verno wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 08:44:
Eh I don't know, there are plenty of games I still play on the console. Steam Big Picture is great but there is some clunkiness to PC stuff on the TV. Something steals focus, game crashes, etc. There are also some great console games you simply can't get on the PC. Consoles and PCs both have their place. I'm actually much more worried about where the PC market is headed with hardware sales down each quarter and companies like Intel starting to refocus on mobile.

How many of those games that you play on your console (rather than on the PC) are console exclusives, or made their debut on the consoles before they were ported to the PC? If I were to wager a guess Id say that number approaches 100%.

I stand with my original statement. The 'exclusivity' of the content is an artificial advantage of the platform over the PC. And apart from ease of use Id say is the only one.

114. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 08:44 Verno

Eh I don't know, there are plenty of games I still play on the console. Steam Big Picture is great but there is some clunkiness to PC stuff on the TV. Something steals focus, game crashes, etc. There are also some great console games you simply can't get on the PC. Consoles and PCs both have their place. I'm actually much more worried about where the PC market is headed with hardware sales down each quarter and companies like Intel starting to refocus on mobile.  

113. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 08:39 InBlack

The only thing that the consoles do better than PCs is multiplayer gaming ala split screen mode. With that said how many games these days support that??

*crickets*

112. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 08:24 Verno

Man what a rollercoaster, E3 2013 now truly comes to a close

Competition is a wonderful thing, Microsoft tried to dictate terms to their customers and their customers told them to shove it. This is why you never want a monopoly marketplace.

111. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 07:27 Tomas

Cutter wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 00:41:
Why would you choose a 360 over a PS4? That's insane.

Oops, meant to type Xbox One, not a 360. Why I would get a Xbox One instead of a PS4? Mostly because the majority of my friends preferred gaming on their 360s. I own a 360, PS3, and a Wii, but the 360 has received the lions share of use. My Wii has less than 10 hours logged on it. In the end, though, I'd much rather just use my PC. If every game I wanted to play came out on PC I don't know why I'd ever buy a console.

110. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 07:17 Redmask

Prez wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 03:50:
There couldn't be a better textbook example for why competition is a good thing, no ... a GREAT thing for consumers. If Sony didn't exist, would Microsoft be backtracking like this? Probably not. More likely we'd be reading more arrogance about Microsoft knowing what's best for you and becoming even more anti-consumer. This is why we PC gamers need AMD to stay around. Intel needs to be kept honest the way Sony is causing Microsoft to behave.

As far as what this means for the console war, I leave that to people who know more about the console industry. All I know is that I haven't wanted to see a company get trounced as badly as I want Microsoft to get clobbered by Sony in a long time.

Agreed, this is why you don't want to see either company actually 'win' since they will have no incentive to serve consumers. Microsoft thought everyone would rush out to buy to their stupid box no matter what they did and they finally went a bridge too far.

109. Re: MS Backtracks on Xbox One DRM & Region Locks Jun 20, 2013, 04:59 Lord Tea

Prez wrote on Jun 20, 2013, 03:50:
There couldn't be a better textbook example for why competition is a good thing, no ... a GREAT thing for consumers. If Sony didn't exist, would Microsoft be backtracking like this? Probably not. More likely we'd be reading more arrogance about Microsoft knowing what's best for you and becoming even more anti-consumer. This is why we PC gamers need AMD to stay around. Intel needs to be kept honest the way Sony is causing Microsoft to behave.

As far as what this means for the console war, I leave that to people who know more about the console industry. All I know is that I haven't wanted to see a company get atrounced as badly as I want Microsoft to get clobbered by Sony in a long time.

I couldn't agree more.

UPSA = United Police States of America

128 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo