Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Game Sharing Planned?

A thread on NeoGAF notes some code in the new Steam beta suggesting Valve is planning to allow Steam users to select games to share with a circle of friends. This is confirmed on Kotaku, where they say Valve has not yet responded to the report (not a shock since their story went up at 3:00 am on the west coast). Here is the code in question:

"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicense_Title" "Shared game library"
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_OwnerText" "Just so you know, your games are currently in use by %borrower%. Playing now will send %borrower% a notice that it's time to quit."
"SteamUI_JoinDialog_SharedLicenseLocked_BorrowerText" "This shared game is currently unavailable. Please try again later or buy this game for your own library."

View
66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

6. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:46 InBlack

NeOCidE wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:42:
Maybe it's just me and I can't seem to think outside the box, but what do Valve gain from this? Besides the potential for lost sales?

When the game is shared, only one person cam play the game per licence. Say you borrow your game to a friend and he installs and plays it. You can let him play it but you will always get first dibs on it, unless he buys another licence for himself.

This is very welcome news and although Im guessing a lot of people will borrow their games permanently once they grow bored with them, this will only increase overall sales as people would buy some of the games they normaly would have skipped over. Very smart business move for Valve.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:46 Slick

2 things:

1) they are planning on releasing a steambox console, which would benefit from being able to trade/lend games to be a comparable alternative to the existing consoles.

2) all of the negative press surrounding XBone which has compared their strategy to steam. "well steam doesn't allow trading, and they're #1 on PC" if valve is half smart they will distance themselves from the xbone sinking ship

also they've supposedly been toying with this idea for years, it's not new, but the fallout from the xbone might be the push it needs to get rolling. the one silver lining of all that garbage.

4. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:44 Verno

It would be cool but I'm not holding my breath that they can get publishers on board.  

Playing: Infamous Second Son
Watching: Midsomer Murders, Dominion, The Knick

3. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:43 coldcut

NeOCidE wrote on Jun 19, 2013, 09:42:
Maybe it's just me and I can't seem to think outside the box, but what do Valve gain from this? Besides the potential for lost sales?
Customer satisfaction?

2. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:42 NeOCidE

Trent Reznor - Atticus Ross an incredible team.

1. Re: Steam Game Sharing Planned? Jun 19, 2013, 09:30 nin

Neat, but I'll believe it when it actually happens. And to what extent (all, some, current, per title)?

If it does work, I'll put a large chunk of stuff up I never use...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

66 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo